Kohler Generators / Misrepresented Generators

1 Truro, MA, US Review updated:

A few years ago, I purchased our house on the Bay in Truro, MA. The house had a two year old, top of the line, 70kwt Kohler stand-by generator - purported to have been designed to live outside in a salt air environment with a fifteen plus year life expectancy. Today, two years later, it is totally dead - its panels and controls have totally rotted out. A product that is supposed to last for at least fifteen to twenty years has not even made it through half of its normal life expectancy!

The generator is now dead! I spent $880 in repairs last fall and now the control box has totally rusted out and need another $1, 100+ in repairs. I am through spending good money after bad and will have to replace the entire unit.

I've serviced the unit properly during my ownership of the home and have accommodated everything Kohler Power has requested of me, yet they still refuse to help. As Kohler has hardly responded to previous letters and emails asking for their assistance in repairs, I’ve started a site over at KohlerCustomerService.com to make case public and to let others who are in the same predicament as myself are not alone.

Kohler Generators

Comments

• Pa
      Jan 29, 2010

n Dec. 2009 I bought a 18kwt Kohler propane powered generator through Lowes, and had it installed by a licensed electrician, and the propane pressure regulator and line installed by a licensed propane supplier.

Now, 10 days ago a storm knocked out the grid-power, and I used the Kohler for the first time, at about 25% of rated capacity, and it sucked down 50 gallons of propane in the first 12 hours, and sounded like it was missing. At that rate, it would cost $300 per day to operate the Kohler.

I contacted Kohler, and found that I will have to pay for a Kohler representative to come out and "adjust" it. The 200 miles of travel costs alone will be about $500, and probably another $1000 in labor, so I expect it will be about $1500.

The generator only cost $4700, so I am disappointed that the Kohler was factory-set to malfunction unless "adjusted" by a Kohler representative at a cost of another $1500. In my opinion, Kohler has engaged in misrepresentation and fraud.

• Sd
      Feb 02, 2011

I am afraid generators is all about the service or lack of my repair was $1500 as a rotor burn ed up and other things with it

• Sd
      Feb 02, 2011

Kohler is a well made generator BUT!!! They are totally unresponsive as a Company to email, phone calls, etc. I think they are worse than Sears! They will make it easy for asomeone witha better product to come in and replace it.
    IF your generator was from Lowes in 2009 go into Lowes and make a complaint!!! (Busy saturdays are good) Lowes will stand behind the merchandise. Also check your credit or visa card they sometimes have warrnty extension programs that doubles the manufacures warranty and will pay the repair

• Ge
      Oct 05, 2014

Was the unit ever converted from Natural Gas to LP Vapor? Generally LP reps only pipe into the unit and won't touch the insides if they do they own it from then on. Electricians generally do a great job of wiring in a generator system but again if the open it they get blamed for everything after they touch it. Don't use a factory dealer and your savings at a box store don't look so great.

• Ge
      Apr 06, 2016

Sadly, I purchased a Kohler 20 KW standby generator. I did so because I was a Kohler employee and did this due to brand loyalty. It appears as though I made a big mistake. I purchased this against the advice of the seller who specifically recommended Generac even though they sell both brands. Their reasoning was that Generac is easier to install, but I have since found that there are many other reasons that Generac is more desirable. Troubleshooting being foremost. My Kohler has stopped running with 40 hours on the runtime clock. About three hours were actual backup and the remainder exercise cycles. My local service tech. has been unable to correct the problem even with a new controller. He gets codes such as low coolant, the thing is air cooled and we still seem to have an adequate supply of air, and locked rotor. It will rotate quite freely so the rotor does not appear to be locked. At the moment all I have is a grey ornament sitting alongside my house with no apparent solution in sight. The tech. told me that Kohler has not been forthcoming with a solution. I have not spoken with customer service, but this appears to be the next step. I have been thusfar reluctant to do so because the tech has been making a concerted effort and I want to give him every option before stepping in.

As to ease of installation: I did install the unit myself as I am fully capable, although I did have the service tech supervise and approve the start up. I do suspect that a Generac would be easier to install although the last one I installed was 2007 model with fewer bells and whistles. The newer ones may be somewhat more difficult. It is stull running at our summer place and has not hiccupped once. I do proper maintenance on both units and am thoroughly pleased with the Generac and thoroughly disappointed with the Kohler.