Kmart Stores / mattress and box spring layaway

1 Somers Point, NJ, United States Review updated:

I put a mattress and box spring on layaway at the Kmart in Somers Point, NJ- #9463 last month. I put $50.00 down and made a payment on Kmart's website of $20 two weeks later. I did not wtite my confirmation number down. I went to make another payment two weeks after that, only to find out you canceled my layaway. #32755. I called and spoke to one of your employees and she was extremely rude. She advised me that I didn't pay and it was my fault. I tried to explain that there must have been a glitch in your system, but she didn't care. Her name was Jen. So I had to go there and get my refund. My question to you is "Why would you be satisfied by taking $30.00 from me, when you could have made over a $500.00 sale? ". I hear that you have to close stores because people aren't buying from you anymore. Maybe it's because of your rude employees like Jen. I realize there are policies in effect regarding your lawaways. However, if someone calls you and tells them you paid, maybe you should listen to what they are saying. I will not be purchasing anything else from Kmart from now on. I will also be telling all my friends about this incident and not to shop there.

Ga
Nov 14, 2018

Comments

• Km
      14th of Nov, 2018

You didn't pay enough to bring your account current. A $500 layaway if you paid the minimum of $10 would have left $490 and if you did a 12 week layaway, your required payment would have been $81.67 not $20. The only way your payment would have been $20 would have been if you paid $380 as a down payment, and I doubt you would have paid $380 down. Only time I've seen people pay more then half of the value of the layaway is when they pay all but a $0.01 because all they are really doing is using layaway for temporary storage for Christmas presents, and in that case they would have had only 1 payment at the end of their layaway contract, not every 2 weeks. I don't think their was a glitch I think you just thought that making a lower then required payment then you contract would have still been held. I don't know if Jen was rude or not, but the only possible rudeness you mention is that she said you didn't pay and it was that it was your fault for not paying, which technically all that is true. I would have said it was your fault, but I would have said your payment wasn't enough to bring your account current, and we do not hold contracts for partial payments, which is probably what she did say but you just want to be nasty and try to boost your story

Normally though what I would have done is allowed you to restart a new layaway with the same merchandise if we still had it and overridden the price of 1 of the items down by your cancellation and layaway fee, so that you would essentially be back where you were before your contract was cancelled.

• Km
      14th of Nov, 2018

Wouldn't have said it was your fault, my computer keeps spellchecking and changing what I type