KitchenAid / cheaply made appliances

1 TN, United States Review updated:

I have an over the range microwave. It is also the vent for my range top. The stainless steel vent cover that runs the entire lenght of the top of the unit has fallen off. The vent cover served to direct the air flow from the vent in an upward motion. Not to mention covers the huge hole over the top of the microwave unit! It has always been loose on one corner. I have had it 3 years and never really investigated why it was wobbly. Occasionally I would wipe it clean and this was the only time it was touched. Over time it became more and more loose until it started rubbing the microwave door when it opened and closed. Then shortly after the entire cover just fell off. Now I have a huge hole over my microwave that blows the vented air from my range directly onto the top of my head. What is worse is when I looked at why. My expensive brand Kitchenaid stainless steel unit is nothing more than plastic! The three structures that was holding that piece in place were noting more than thin plastic holes with metal screws pushed through. The plastic was broke into pieces. I am very disturbed! I felt I was purchasing a quality high end appliance to find it is cheap plastic. I suppose I paid extra for the brand name? Now my warranty company says it is not covered because it is only cosmetic! I guess it's okay to have a bacon smelling wind blown hair-do look every morning after I cook breakfast? I am very upset but so far no one cares and no one will do anything about it. Bad appliance. Shoddy workmanship Kitchenaid! Sorry warranty company. But who cares, right?

Comments

• Ro
      15th of Aug, 2008

Craftsmanship is a huge issue for Kitchen Aid. What is worst is they continue to pump out the advertising that you are buying a superior product, when in truth, you are purchasing bottom feeder workmanship and technology. My Microwave is five years old, and the mother board needs to be replaced. The appliance was a glorified popcorn maker... and with little use the board still failed. This comes on the heals of fan problems and other minor issues covered by warranty. When I called Kitchen Aid and asked about the life expectancy of the appliance I was told it should last seventeen years. Kitchen Aid is now telling me the life expectancy for microwaves in the industry is seven years. I asked if its okay that this product failed to meet the industry standard and they agreed "yes, because it has lasted more then half the time of the industry standard". I can't believe I have over $900 sunk into this piece of garbage and Kitchen Aid is satisfied with the product lasting three and a half years. If you buy Kithchen Aid (Whirl Pool) You are a being gulliable, and abused. This is a company that does not care about consumer value and is focused on false advertising, overstating their products capability and expectancy, and overcharging. Buy a no name cheaper product rather than Kitchen Aid... its the same value for less money. I'm going to take kitchen Aid to small claims court with my issue. I encourage all others who have similar problems to do the same.

• Lc
      6th of Mar, 2009

I have also had nothing but trouble with my Kitchen Aid coffee maker which stopped working after brewing less than 70 pots of coffee. You think you are buying a solid name brand...but they are cheaply made appliances. When contacting the Customer Service Center (both by phone and by written letter) I was told there was nothing they could do as my machine had just come out of warranty. Kitchen Aid is not willing to stand by their product. Don't waste your money on a Kitchen Aid appliance, I know I will never give them another penny.

• Li
      31st of Jul, 2010

I have had the same thing happen to mine. I had to use duct tape to keep it from falling competely off. So much for spending more on Kitchenaid than other brands.

• Li
      31st of Jul, 2010

I will never buy Kitchenaid again. Specially after the diswasher door cord has broken for the second time in 4 years and Kitchenaid refuses to repair it. I think there is a manufacturers defect in design where the door rubs on the cord and wares it out. Bad customer service.