Kitchenaid Superba Dishwasher / A&E Factory Service / terrible customer service!

United States Review updated:
A&E Factory Service was referred to me by KitchenAid/Whirlpool to do warranty service on my KitchenAid Superba Dishwasher which was purchased 10 months ago for $769. The dishwasher has not been working for one month now due to A&E Factory Service's TERRIBLE customer service. I originally scheduled an appointment with them a month ago for the first service call and am still waiting for my dishwasher to be repaired.

A  3rd of Jul, 2007 by
We purchased a KitchenAid Superba dishwasher in 2003. We had triplets in 2004.

The pump and motor on our KitchenAid dishwasher broke for the first time in August of 2006. We were referred by KitchenAid to A&E and two weeks later, the dishwasher was repaired.

The next time it broke was in September of 2006 when a fuse blew. Two weeks later, it was repaired. The fuse blew again in March of 2007. When the A&E technician arrived - two weeks later for the repair and suggested that we purchase an extended warranty because "chances are, the next thing to break will be the computer panel" we agreed. But after all that we'd been through and all the parts that had been replaced, we thought surely the dishwasher wouldn't break again.

We thought wrong.

The dishwasher broke again in May of 2007. This time it took three weeks for the repair of a control board and fuse to be completed.

Less than two weeks later, in June of 2007 - the dishwasher broke again. After multiple calls to KitchenAid with the request that the dishwasher be REPLACED, we were told that their hands are tied and because we purchased an extended warranty with A&E - this is an issue that they need to resolve. Meanwhile, A&E has been pointing their finger back to KitchenAid because it's a KitchenAid appliance.

So far as I can tell, the dishwasher that we purchased has KitchenAid written across the front. If I had not purchased a KitchenAid appliance, I never would have even known about A&E Factory Service.

As I am typing this, I am 9-months pregnant due to deliver our fourth baby, tomorrow. We have been without a dishwasher - a necessity for sterilizing nippy cups and bottles - for the better part of the past two months.

I am extremely disappointed with KitchenAid. They have not stood behind their product nor do they stand behind and insure that the factory service that they refer are adequately completing the work. I have nothing good to say about A&E. They are even worse than KitchenAid.

Of course I could go out and buy a new dishwasher - but I have spent a large amount of money on THIS dishwasher. Not only in the original purchase but in the repairs and subsequent purchase of an extended warranty.

My next step is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I then plan to contact our local newspaper and television consumer advocacy departments. I will see what happens with this fifth repair - but I suspect that when the dishwasher breaks again - I will file a lawsuit. In the meantime, I am documenting all of these issues on my blog and hope that the negative feedback generated by a woman with four children under the age of three - a completely defunct dishwasher and a company that has done nothing to rectify the situation - will cause PR problems.

I can only hope.

Jennifer Foley
A  25th of Apr, 2011 by
I also purchased a Kitchenaid Superba model. A year after it was installed the heating element went out. The SEARS repairman came out (two weeks later) and changed the heating element. Said it was a design flaw and replaced it with a different type and shape of heating element. Fortunately it was still covered under warranty. The element went out again, just short of a year later, they wanted to charge us for this repair and we had to dig and argue w/ our receipts that the part was under warranty. At the same time the door hinges snapped and the door wouldn't stay closed. The repairman came out again and fixed the door hinges. Since this time we've had two new heating elements (the original and the replacement), door hinges have been replaced twice, and the computer board has gone out 2 or 3 times. I am currrently waiting for SEARS to come out again and fix the computer board (two week wait). I have been forced to pay for an "annual service contract"... you pay a fee upfront and it covers all repairs for the year. Seems kinda silly after you've paid up the yingyang for an expensive Kitchen aid brand. The door panel on my Kitchenaid microwave also broke. I'll never buy kitchen aid again!
N  25th of Apr, 2011 by
Dear 0255nan,

I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for what happened with the service on your appliance. I do apologize for the delay in finding your comment also and I wanted to ask you to contact my team, even if this has been resolved, to allow us to check into what happened and see if we can make this right for you somehow, but especially if it has not been resolved so we can ensure this happens.
My name is Misty with Sears Cares and we’d like to step in and resolve this issue for you. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the stove was originally purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (0255nan) listed on your site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Misty H.