Kingsway Financial / Online scam

I received a letter today stating that: they wish to notify me of the release of the Consumer's Reward Program Lottery held on September 25, 2008. Your name, attached to ticket number 975130 drew the lucky number of 3, 7, 9, 11, 23, 28, 31, and 39 which ultimately won the lottery in the second category.

I was sent a check for $3.900 to cover taxes while the claim was being processed. The prize was for a total of $39, 000. This amount was drawn from the total prize of $480, 000 shared among the North American Winners in this category. Previous attempts to contact me on October 8, 2008 failed, resulting in this final notification. I was given the number [protected] to call.

Figuring this was a scam, I called the number to see what they would say. A woman answered, but there was a lot of talking in the background and she asked me to call her back in fifteen minutes. Needless to say, I did not. I filed this report instead.

Da

Comments

• Ge
      2nd of Nov, 2008

Consumer reward program;letter with check fake, skam

• Am
      3rd of Nov, 2008
    Kingsway Financial - consumers reward program lottery
    Kingsway financial
    3157 ray st
    Saginaw
    Michigan
    Phone: 220-8676

i just received a check in the mail for some random lottery draw and i won 39, 000 dollars.. i mean come on i just had to go online and know that this was fake there is millions of people that got the same scam.. why they need to not do things like this in a time of need to everyone money is tight right now they must be stopped

4th of Nov, 2008

I was also a scam victom and now i have to pay my bank money from a check that i deposited

• Wi
      4th of Nov, 2008

You almost had me until I saw your complaints .Wow 3, 900 and a prize of 39, 000 you are a bunch of jerks .For the people out here who are barely making ends meet and you get a cashiers check how would you feel, oh thats right you are making plenty of money off this scam .You have no heart at all think of people and not yourselves.

• Ss
      4th of Nov, 2008

I got the same notice, today - 11/4/08. It's from Kingsway Financial - but at a different address. The address mine says is 29 Flecher Dr. Niagara Falls, ONTARIO H6N 4T1
    It says I've won the sum payment of $39, 000 of a toal prize of $480, 000 shared among the NOrth American Winners. My agents are Edward Jones or Nicole Jordan.
    Out of curiosity - what is the ticket number and the lucky numbers on your letters? Mine are as follows:

Ticket # 975130

Niagara Falls
    Ontario
    Canada
    Phone: 905-781-2317

I recieved a letter saying I had won a lottery for $39, 000. They sent me a check for $3, 900, I had called the number and they told me all I had to was deposit the check wait for it to clear and call them with my claim number. Then they will send me the rest of the money. I do not have to give them any personal information or send anything back to them. Just does not seem right.

• Va
      12th of Nov, 2008

Today I received a letter in the mail, a final notice, that said I won the Consumer's Reward Program Lottery held on September 25th, 2008. It said that my name was attached to ticket number 975130 and won in the 2nd category with the numbers 3, 7, 9, 11, 23, 28, 31 and 39.

It went on to state that I had been approved for a lump sum payment of $39, 000, drawn from a total prize of $480, 000 shared among North American Winners. I was informed that they had tried to contact me on October 8th, 2008 and failed.

The letter said that for security reasons, I was advised to keep this award from public notice until the claim had been finalized, to help prevent fraud and double claims. I was also given a phone number to call, 905-598-0441 and a check for $3, 900 to cover the applicable tax.

When I read to keep this from public notice, I didn't even call the number. I got online and entered the company name in Google, and reached a report filed by someone else, which had the exact same wording as my letter.

I would advise anyone who gets this letter to just put it in the garbage, like I am with mine.

• Je
      22nd of Nov, 2008

I got the letter today 11/21/08. The check from Hanfield Financial looks real. I tried to contact Edward Jones and Nicole Jordan as my letter told me to do but since it's Saturday I got the machine, well that's what I thought at the beginning. I just want to know what's the point in doing this? What they get from us?

• Be
      13th of Jan, 2009

i got one of these letters in the mail i put the check in my bank now i am scared that i could get in trouble.please tell me what i need to do.if this is a scam they never asked me for my bank info or anything.so what can they do to my bank account .please e mail me at [protected]@gmail.com

• Mi
      16th of Jan, 2009

I got the same letter, won 39000 but had a check for 3900. the address was 100 main st, niagara falls, ON. ph # 905 598-1236.

• Ce
      9th of Feb, 2009

Hey i just recieved the same letter pretty much... I got a cashier's check for 3, 900 and a letter saying that i won a lottery with a ticket number 975130. When i called the number they asked me if i shop at target or walmart or other such stores and said that that was how i won. they also said that i needed to deposit the check and then call. So i took it to the bank to get it checked out and they said that they are going to call me in a few days to let me know what it is. I would suggest taking your letter and check to the bank before doing anything.

• Co
      11th of Feb, 2009

I just received the same letter with the same ticket number and lucky numbers. My advice to all who have received or will receive this letter just rip it up and throw it away. I don't trust anything that I don't know where it's coming from. Wal-Mart and other department stores don't ask for your information when you check out. Money doesn't just fly through your door and if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

• Sc
      11th of Feb, 2009

I brought my check into my bank to deposit and luckily the bank cashier thought it looked suspicious and had it vertified so that it won't cause problems for me in the long run - such as - freezing of my account, etc. Thank goodness the cashier was able to detect that it didn't quite look right or else I would end up w/ a quite a headache. But as I was leaving the bank and obvious that I was the victim of the scam - I felt as though these scammers dirtied my name as well w/ my bank. Really - awful time for scammers to get people all excited and happy when money is so tight and to top it off make people feel as though they are somehow involved in this fraudalent scam! The only caveat is I don't understand how they were going to scam the individual - how were they going to get money back from me? Lesson learned - you don't ever win free things!!!

11th of Feb, 2009

I got the same thing. Same numbers. I still would like to know what they get out of it?????

11th of Feb, 2009

Mine had Hanfield Financial Group on it. The names to contact are Barbara Smith and Michael Edward.

• Lu
      4th of Apr, 2009

I got the letter also. for4, 575.00. The check is authenic. What would happen if I cashed it and took all cash? They would never see me again... I', going to report it to a TV station, so the world would know about these scams.

• Ca
      19th of Aug, 2009

readers digest sender a letter with a check of $4, 500 to my husband with a number for him to call that he won a grant prize the check was to insured is prize they told him to deposit the money to his account after the check is cleared to with drew the money and send the money through moneygram to the address in texas, called after three day to setup money transfer .he send me to the bank to do a transaction when the bank inform me that the check for the $4, 500 bounce my huaband had to pay the bank its money back when he call the number of readers digest the phone was disconnected

• Ba
      17th of Sep, 2009

We just recieved a check for $4775.00 and Won $58, 000 ! Right!! I am sure that as soon as the check is deposited they will want my routing # to pay the "taxes" on my "winnings" and then they will clean out my account. THey hope that at least a few peop;e will just be greedy enough or stupid enough to do as they say and not tell anyone what is going on. Money doesn't fall from the sky!! Be suspicious of everything and NEVER give out your banking info or debit card # . They are still up to their tricks in 2009.

• Ba