Kings Island / Bad service

1 Mason, OH, United States Review updated:

My wife and I have been fans of Kings Island for quite some time--in fact, my

wife has been to the park for the past 15 years every year with friends and

family. We've started to take our kids as of the past few years, and last year

was the first year that our oldest was able to ride the "big" roller coasters.

To say the least, we've started to make some great family memories there.

Which is why this year's trip (July 29th) was even more disappointing than we

could have ever imagined. We had not written previously because we have been on

vacation away from home the entire time. But we felt it necessary to discuss

these issues with you.

First of all, the customer service at the park is a vast difference from what we

have seen in the past at Kings Island. Many of the workers were not friendly,

some rude, and my oldest son even was upset by how one of the ride operators

spoke to him. It is acceptable--and this is stretching it--to have perhaps one

experience where you felt the person or persons could have been a little more helpful or friendlier throughout the day at all of the

venues and rides, but this was a common theme. Hardly anyone smiled, most people

were bossy and just not customer-oriented. An example--when we went to wait in

line for Firehawk, a person at the beginning of the line was there to, we

assume, making sure that people were tall enough to go on. Our youngest is not

yet tall enough to go on Firehawk, so we asked if we would be able to have him

wait in line with us, we would ride, and he could stand off to the side and wait

until we got back, to which the teen just kind of shrugged us off and said

"yeah, it's fine". We waited for almost an hour to get to the ride--and then

when we got there, one of the workers told us that he could not wait there, that

he would have to be accompanied by an adult. This was the first time this had

happened throughout the day at any ride like this, as we know most rides have a

separate area (i.e. the cage in the Vortex and the waiting area for Flight of

Fear). My wife then basically had to get off and stand with our youngest while

myself and my oldest son rode. However, there was another boy waiting there a

little older than our son, and there was no adult. My wife questioned why there

was no one with him, and one of the other workers said "Well, can you just stay

with him?" To which my wife basically stated that she didn't know who he was and

that it was irresponsible for them to even ask that of her. It took her saying

that then for another worker to ask the boy who he was with, and then another

person had to get off of the ride to stand with

him. The only silver lining was that my wife asked then because of the

inconvenience if she could be in the front car for the ride after us, to which

they told her that if they had less than four riders, she could. It's safe to

say that this was a very poor experience just in this situation alone.

Secondly, we must go on record that we understand that the changes made with the

transferring of ownership was understandable in terms of the name changes for the rides, etc., but one item that we

were considerably disappointed was the Crypt, which we had previously known as

Tomb Raider. The line was not organized well, inside of the "Crypt" it was very,

very dark--too dark for the theme, in our opinion--and the ride itself was a

joke. To go from the stylings that Tomb Raider brought with the "theatrics"

involved to basically going to a big open warehouse with a ride that flipped you

a bunch of times, why even bother with it? I certainly hope there are some major

changes to this ride to make it as entertaining as Tomb Raider was. This was my

oldest's favorite from last year, and now he has said he doesn't care if he ever

rides it again...

Lastly, our favorite roller coaster is the Beast--in fact, we waited all day

long and organized our trip through the park so that our youngest--who is

finally tall enough to be on many of the 48" coasters--could ride it at night

and it be the "climax" of his day at Kings Island. However, when we went to the beginning of the line at 8:45--1 hr and 15 minutes before

the park closed at 10--we were greeted by a worker who said that the Beast was

closed for the day, that they were cycling the last people through the ride and

then it would be done. My wife was obviously upset--this has been her favorite

ride ever since she started going there--but the teen just basically cut her

off, stating "I'm sorry for the issues, maam, but it is closed." Several people

walking up were told the same thing, and they were too upset by this move.

This type of thing is unacceptable, in our eyes. We paid a lot of money to be in

the park, and the posted hours are the posted hours. I know that one of the

things we loved about being able to stay all day is that even if you are in a

long line, you are queued if you are in line before the park closes. This was

not even close to the time, and it was one--if not the most--popular rides in

the park. I cannot understand any justification of this, and again--the service

was abhorrent.

We just can't help but get the feeling that the correlation of the changeover in

ownership and these issues occurring is just too coincidental. Perhaps the

company philosophy is different in terms of how to handle things at Kings

Island, but we've been to Cedar Point and did not feel this was the way this

company operated, but that was several years ago. Perhaps it is merely bad luck

on our part, but I doubt it.

We are considering, sadly, canceling our forthcoming trips to there in light of

all this. This was, hands down, one of the worst experiences we've ever had in a

theme park, and no one should ever walk away from a place that is supposed to

bring a lot of fun into someone's life feeling this way. I believe we, as loyal

customers of this park, deserve more.

Va

Comments

• Bm
      30th of Jun, 2009

My son was a visitor at Kings Island today, 06/30/2009. He always has a wonderful experience. But today has been different. He is 17 yrs. old and enjoys life to the fullest. Today he was insulted, embarrassed, and humiliated on the new ride the Diamondback. He waited in line like everyone else and when he was ready to get on, the young man told him he was to heavy to ride. He sat down and the seatbelt fastened. But he was told he was to heavy. I wasn't there but he immediately notified me about what had taken place. Needless to say, I am a very upset parent who believes that this young man needs a lesson in how to treat others. I don't know his name because my son was so upset he just left. I know it was around 10:30 this morning. I would expect young children to say something about someones weight but not an adult. I hope this young man is reprimanded over his comments and actions.

• Re
      15th of Oct, 2012

I agree. We had an incident on October 13, 2012 during Halloween Haunt. I know the purpose of the employees are to "scare" during this event. But, one of the employees terrified a person with us. She was crying uncontrollably to the point she was trembling. My husband and I asked this employee to stop and leave her alone, to back off. But he didn't he continued to pursue her, getting right up in her face, terrifying her. He was very rude and sarcastic to us when we asked him to back off and leave her alone. I believe when a customer asks an employee to stop, back off, and leave someone alone that is what they should do. Good customer service is what any business should strive for, right? I am very upset with the way this employee continued to pursue after he was asked to stop. I called customer service and all I was told from them is that they understood but it was the employee's job to "scare." I couldn't seem to get this customer service rep to understand that when a person asks an employee to back off and stop scaring this is what they should do. I am very upset with the situation and I don't believe Kings Island is going to offer a solution.

• Gl
      20th of Aug, 2014

Hello my son took his 79 year old grandmother and myself to the park this has been the first time his grandmother has been out for a long time. when we enter the park there was a young lady taking pictures she had taken pictures of all of us together and others that was with each of us.anyway she then gave us tickets and told us to go after 4:oo o'clock to pick up two pictures at no charge so we waited till it was time for the park to close 8:00 pm my mother and son was so happy to get these photos, but when we all got there we found out that what this woman told us was a lie she told us this just to get us to buy a package deal very misleading! my mother is on a fixed income like myself she is 79 years old and heartbroken. and paid to get in like anyone else she don't ride rides and if she tried they probably wouldn't let her. also would like to make a comment on the electric carts that pepole use that have trouble getting around 50.00 dollars to rent this is okay for those pepole that are very well off but we are not that fortunate my mother is 79 and not in the best health it was up in 80's and very sticky out well could not afford the cart so we did our best to deal with the conditions for my 9 year old son we all made the best of a bad thing ! still would like to have the pictures of all of us together with my son that my mother calls sugar bear since he was born.still would like a response to this letter. thanks for your time in this matter. glen a jones & family

• Gl
      20th of Aug, 2014

hello my son took his 79 year old grandmother and myself to the park this has been the first time his grandmother has been out for a long time. when we enter the park there was a young lady taking pictures she had taken pictures of all of us together and others that was with each of us.anyway she then gave us tickets and told us to go after 4:oo o'clock to pick up two pictures at no charge so we waited till it was time for the park to close 8:00 pm my mother and son was so happy to get these photos, but when we all got there we found out that what this woman told us was a lie she told us this just to get us to buy a package deal very misleading! my mother is on a fixed income like myself she is 79 years old and heartbroken. and paid to get in like anyone else she don't ride rides and if she tried they probably wouldn't let her. also would like to make a comment on the electric carts that pepole use that have trouble getting around 50.00 dollars to rent this is okay for those pepole that are very well off but we are not that fortunate my mother is 79 and not in the best health it was up in 80's and very sticky out well could not afford the cart so we did our best to deal with the conditions for my 9 year old son we all made the best of a bad thing ! still would like to have the pictures of all of us together with my son that my mother calls sugar bear since he was born.still would like a response to this letter. thanks for your time in this matter. glen a jones & family

• Si
      14th of Jan, 2015

I worked there. It is the most vile disgusting place on earth. Huge rats, mice everywhere and the food service side is so unsanitary. I want to be a chef and the job I had there was the worst job I'll ever have. Low pay, cheap uniforms, so many rules it's ridiculous. When you start they have orientation which is literally a brain wash seminar with a video and a speaker. The food is cheap to make and the cooks are so unsanitary I'm sprites the health department allows service. My advice do not work nor eat there. Anywhere there.

• Sw
      6th of Jun, 2015

My daughter was at kingisland today road all these rides that were 48inches. Well went on racer, the girl with the stick said she was to small. I had her on the scale the girl takes her 48inch bad off goes to move the metal pice cuts my daughters head. Says she too small she wasnt to small this girl didnt want to let her ride. This is verry unfair, wrong and can say they went against their own policy. I will be fileing a bigger complaint tommrow. And will not be retrun.

• Br
      7th of Aug, 2015

Have been going to kings island ever since I can remember and after moving back to Ohio I started buying season passes for the family, I was on the fence about purchasing the passes this year after last year. I accepted that maybe we ere unlucky on the days they close the water park early which was a common issue, on multiple occasions they closed early and we spent money on lockers, OK it is what it is I say but one day we entered the park around 12:30 purchased a locker as usual, didn't get 50 feet from locker and they announce the park will be closing at 1 PM. Yeah this was livid to say the least. We went back got our stuff and went to the window. I asked why they were closing early and was replied to with "there is not value in staying open" because there was not enough people in the park! I understand enclimate weather but because the peoples money that paid to get in isn't good enough for you !!! No refunds that's our policy they said, would have been even better if the locker attendant had informed us. Poor service because your money hungry brings me to yesreday August 6 2015, it wasn't the greatest weather but my 4 year old wanted out of the house and she wanted a cheeseburger lol. I have the meal plans on all our cards (which is almost a car payment for a couple more months) there were only 2 rides down I assume for weather oh and water park closed. There isn't a lot she rides but she likes the games and shows, after she cleaned me out on games we went to eat, or tried to anyway, nothing was open! After walking around awhile we got a refill in our souvenir cups, I asked the kid if there was a supervisor around and he just starred at me. I asked about the places being closed he told me there were not enough people in the park. WTF there it is again!!! Oh he told me skyline was open at the park entrance. So if there is not enough patrons why are all the games manned? Why is there an employees sweeping every twenty feet and groups of employees standing around? Why is it that my money is good only when it is convenient to kings island??????? We had to eat at skyline no cheeseburgers but we had dinner and a show due to the fact of the birds flying around the restaurant. Yeah I said birds flying around the food. There will be no season passes next year and no trips thereafter while it is owned by cedar fair. I'm so pissed that I'd consider going every day left to get my food so I can through it away. Sad that my favorite place to visit since childhood has been tainted to the filthy, rude and money hungry hole that it is today.