King Schools / Fraud and scam

I purchased the Cleared for Takeoff software Series. This consisted of 20 disks with lessons for flight school on each disk. I was able to use disk 1 to 6 but after lesson 6 the software kept telling me I had to be registered to use the software. I registered using my included registration code, also went to my flight school who confirmed I was registered in the system. I contacted King Schools directly and received a very unprofessional customer service experience. They Basically told me that it was not their job to aid customers and that I need to go to the flight school I was using and have them call tech support. I did this and was present when my flight school made the call. They received even worse service than I did. Tech support actually started screaming at them over the phone and told them that there was nothing they would do to help. They stated that it was not their problem once the software had been paid for. I paid over $500.00 for this software package and would expect better service than that for my money. John and Martha King need to get better control of their employees or just close down if they can't handle a business any better than this.

As

Comments

• Ti
      20th of Mar, 2009

• Ki
      29th of Jun, 2009

You will want to know that King Schools takes every customer complaint extremely seriously. We have been in business since 1974 and enjoy a reputation for excellent service and support. However, this is not something we take lightly. We continue to strive for improvement and both welcome and actively solicit constructive feedback from our customers. One of the ways we do this is by sending out a monthly customer survey to all customers who received support during the previous month. This focus on improvement helps us to quickly implement new processes and procedures that lead to higher customer satisfaction.

I have spoken with this customer and immediately resolved the situation. I only wish that he had asked to speak with a manager before posting this complaint. As a result of my discussion with him, I have also implemented new support procedures to ensure this issue does not happen again. The problem was related to the training system that King Schools built for Cessna. There are over 20 individual Labs of training and a requirement of Cessna is that we restrict the software to the first 6 Labs until the customer registers at a Cessna Pilot Center. In order for this process to work properly, the Pilot Center must maintain a server that connects to the Internet and uploads the registration information so that it can be downloaded by the customer's computer to unlock the additional Labs. In this case, the particular Pilot Center where the customer was studying was not maintaining the required connection. As a result, the unlocking of Labs beyond Lab 6 was not occurring. Unfortunately, the Pilot Center was not actively working with us to resolve the problem. After becoming aware of this issue, I have changed our support policy. In the future our technical support folks will immediately work on manually unlocking the customer's product, rather than have the customer wait for the automated system to be repaired at the Pilot Center.

You can be assured that our technical support personal are always friendly, courteous and professional. Their sole aim is to ensure that our customers are able to enjoy the full value of King Schools' products and any complaint will be very quickly resolved. You have my personal guarantee on that. If there is any question about this report, or if you ever cannot rate our customer support as excellent, I can be reached at (858) 576-6265 or bknuttila@kingschools.com.

Sincerely,

Barry Knuttila
    Senior Vice President of Technology
    King Schools, Inc.

• Ac
      18th of Feb, 2011

I purchased "Cleared for Takeoff" in May 2009 when I started flight training. Due to a number of life events, it has taken me longer than expected to complete training. Recently, my old computer finally stopped working and I had to purchase a new one. I installed the software on the new computer, but it does not open. When I spoke to technical support I was told, "You need the 64 bit version. I'll transfer you to customer service and they can help you with that." I had to leave a voicemail at customer service as nobody answered the phone. After 2 days with no response, I sent e-mails to company management. I received an immediate reply from company President David Jackson who said he would have customer support contact me immediately. So far, no complaint. Yesterday I finally got a phone call from a customer service representative who told me I had to purchase the 64 bit version at a cost of $365.00 ! I told him that was completely unacceptable and I do not feel I should have to pay for a new version in the middle of my (already expensive) flight training. I was then offered the "trade in" program, and could have the new software at half price. I again complained that I should not have to purchase new software as I already spent almost $500.00 for my student kit. Customer service then said they could sell me the new software for $99.00. Again I stated that I do not feel I should have to purchase new software as this is an ongoing instructional course. I was told there was nothing more that could be done unless I had access to an old computer that will run the software I have. This software is less than 2 years old. This is certainly NOT good customer support. I have no choice but to file a complaint with the California Better Business Bureau. Perhaps I should have gone to Sporty's Pilot Shop. I have always had excellent customer care with them.