King David Builders / bad workmanship

4427 Mary Ellen AveSherman Oaks, CA, United States Review updated:
4.75
Phone: 1 800 797 7552

I had a bathroom remodel done this summer. I was told 2 weeks and when they were finally out of here, it was on week 6. They did not cover my carpet and got garbage all over it so it had to be professionally cleaned at the end of the job, in which the builder whined about because we deducted it from their pay. They ripped my wall paper taking things up the stairs, put a large dent in the front door and stained the driveway. They cut and lost the wires to the alarm to the house which we finally had to call the alarm company to come out to fix. And that was just on day one! If I had not paid for the custom cabinets at the begining, they would have been fired on the spot. They had the attitude that collateral damage was not their responsibility.

They had to put the shower plumbing in 3 times before they got it right, even though there was directions with the shower faucets. When asked to pressure test it, they didnt know what we were talking about. They had to redo the tile around the tub because they drilled 3 holes for the faucet instead of 4. They had to move the sconces on the wall 4 times because they did not measure correctly. They built the custom cabinets wrong and then tried to get us to pay extra for them to do them over, when it was their mistake. They put the wall switch in 2.5 feet from the bottom of the floor and asked what was wrong with that. They put broken can lights in the ceiling when they knew they were broken. They put the floor heater in upside down. They put a new door into the bathroom in upside down. They didnt put the fan in the ceiling that we asked for. They left the switches hot to the touch. We found out they did not ground the wires.

These are just the main things that they did wrong. They used no blue prints and guessed at everything. Then complained that it took longer because we made them do it over. It got to be a joke around here. The main reason for the crappy job was no one spoke English, which we inquired about at the beinging and were lied to. You can not communicate with someone who cant read or understand what you are saying. I had asked about this also at the begining and was assured the workman did speak English. They lied.

They tore all of the insulation out of the floor and then told us, it was never there. Then at the end of the job, told us they should have charged us more for this job. It was their fault their men did not know what they were doing and it was their fault they had to do it over and over until they got it right.

All in all this bathroom experience was horrid. Their workmanship was about what you would get by picking up illegals at home depot. Their attitude was we were being too picky. Gee having lights at the same height is really unreasonable, isnt it?

We suggest you look for another company.

Comments

Ha
  8th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I had this company build a custom cabinet for me. When it was done, I found out that they do not use specs and standards for the industry.

I could not get the vacumm cleaner under the bottom of the base. It is way too low. And the front hangs out so far over the base, that you literally have to take the vacumm cleaner nozzle and turn it side ways to the floor to reach under the cabinet. This should never have been made this way but was not discovered until I tried to clean the carpet later on.

Now it is a pain in the butt to clean this room. I am extremely unhappy about this.

These people act like they are doing you a favor by doing your job. I would never use them or reccomend them to anyone.
Wa
  8th of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I sympathize with the others. My husband and I lost our life savings with our experience with this contractor. You must be very careful using his services if you are elderly or if you are not strong and cannot defend yourself.
Ma
  20th of Mar, 2013
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My wife and I used King David to add on a bathroom in 2005. Now, eight years later, we have black mold, the tile is falling off of the shower walls and the jacuzzi tub doesn't work because they did not put in a separate circuit breaker. We are now left with a complete remodel that is going to cost thousands of dollars. It looks like this company is out of business and that is the only good news from a complete nightmare. I am not a contractor, but I have done work in other parts of my house that blows these guys away. DO NOT USE THESE CROOKS, no matter what name they call their business.
Th