Kilifi Tupou Haatoa - Friendly Island Concrete, San Mateo Concrete / Unlicensed Contractor - Takes Money, Doesn't Compete Work

1 13 Camille Ct.East Palo Alto, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 650-771-0148

About two years ago, (April, 2 2006) Kilifi Tupou Haatoa, a Tongan Islander, who was at the time residing in East Palo Alto, and former resident of 2089 Mesa St. San Bernardino, CA, was knocking on my neighbor's doors soliciting concrete & landscaping work. He approached me and said that he was doing work for two other neighbors. We got to talking about how much it would cost me for him to replace my driveway. He said, it would cost $4, 700 dollars, and would take 3 days to complete. I thought that sounded like a fair deal and told him to come back in 3 days to start the work.

I went on an errand, I was gone for about an hour, when I arrived back at home, he already started tearing out my driveway. He actually had two day-workers from the local Home Depot doing the work with nothing more than a sledge hammer and huge crow bars; not eye protection; no gloves, no professional tools what so ever, and he was no where to be found. I was extremely upset as I need to still gain access to my garage.

About an hour later and with my drive way just half way broken up he came back to pick up his workers. I told him I didn't authorize him to start any work, while the whole time he keep reassuring he would be done in 3 days time and with most of the work done the very next day. As he was leaving he asked me for half the money, actually it was $2, 400. I told him I wasn't going to pay him nothing until the work was completed. He left and returned the next day at 11:00 a.m.

This time he had 6 day-workers with him. Before he started, he said he needed to get at least half the money because he had so many guys there that he had to pay. I thought, well, maybe if he had that many guys ready to do the work, he would have it ready for pouring the next day. So I went and got him the money, when I returned about an hour later, no work had been started, and the guys he had there were actually working my other neighbors' houses. He came back with two guys and they started breaking up the drive way with the a sledge hammer and no gloves or eye protection. He pulls up, this time with his wife Luseane U. Haatoa & her elderly parents. He said that he had to rush his father in-law to the hospital and that he would be back tomorrow with a truck to remove the broken cement.

The next day came and went with no call from Kilifi Haatoa. The weekend passed and still no call. Four days later, he calls and says he would be there (at my House) tomorrow, but didn't show up. He shows up on Friday, a week after he said he would be finished, but this time at 2 pm, and with no helpers and no truck. He gave me some sob story about how he had to pay for his father in-law's medical visit because he didn't have insurance. But that he needed another $2, 000 to finish the work by the next day. I told him no, and he left.

Drive-way still left in huge broken chunks of cement; still can't get into my garage and with no commitment from Kilifi Haatoa when he would be back to finish.

Again, the weekend passes, no hear from him. So, I hire a reputable, licensed cement contractor. They came by, with a tractor and huge dump truck. Picked up the chunks of concrete and hauled it away. Just before they left, they set the forms and laid the re-bar and returned to pour the cement. They were done. It cost me an extra $4, 500.

So, just to warn you. Kilifi Tupou Haatoa is a complete and absolute RIP-OFF! He is not a licensed contractor of any kind. He will take your money and not complete the work. He will start on the work and have to think he is going to finish, but he will keep try to get more money off you while making your yard a mess. I spoke to my other neighbors that he did work for and they confirmed the same exact behavior.

If he knocks on your door, call the police. The last phone number I had for him, was: [protected]. It's been disconnected since, but that was his number. At the time he drove a old blue ex-PG&E truck and lived in East Palo Alto with his wife Luseane Haatoa & sone Siosai Muti Haatoa. Also, Mele Haatoa is related and they are all working to get money from people.

Do not do business with this guy, you have been warned. At one time he registered a company name of 'Friendly Island Concrete' with the county of San Mateo

Comments

14th of Nov, 2008

[redacted] Verified Safe

Kilifi Haatoa (aka Tony) came to our door in about April 2008. We hired him to replace our driveway with pavers. He initially said the job would take about a week, and cost $10, 000.

At first, things went okay -- he had a few men on the site the next morning for the demo work. But within a day or two, the work slowed down, and then slowed waaaaay down. Some days, one guy would show up. Most days, nobody showed up at all. We called Tony repeatedly, and he was actually pretty good about taking our calls and coming out to talk to us about how things were progressing. But he rolled the excuses on thick -- he hurt his leg and couldn't work, his wife had cancer and he had to take her to the clinic, his nephew died and he had to go to the service... etc. etc. In the meantime, work on our site had stopped, but the dumpster (which we were paying for) was still getting used for debris from other sites his guys were apparently working on somewhere in the neighborhood.

Eventually, after a lot of complaining, a fraction of of the pavers were delivered, and one of Tony's guys started installing them -- though slowly, and (we later heard from other contractors) badly. The work stopped completely after a day or two. Tony stopped returning our calls, and within a few days his number had been disconnected.

The whole process took nearly two months, and left us having paid him considerably more than the value of the work he actually completed. We sent him a letter suggesting a repayment plan and threatening legal action, but received no response.

At this point, we're trying to keep track of his whereabouts so we can name him as a defendant in a small claims suit. We know he left East Palo Alto, and think he moved in with family in Oakland in August 2008. If you come into contact with him, please let us know. We'd appreciate knowing where he is and how to contact him, and would be happy to share any additional details about our experience with him.

• Ra
      1st of Apr, 2010

He is in Fremont now and doing the same things. I'm also one of his victim. We must do something about it.

Rajesh

• To
      30th of Aug, 2014

He is in the southeast Valley of the Phoenix area now doing the same thing...now they are Friendly Island Landscape

• To
      30th of Aug, 2014

As far as I can tell, these people are now operating in the Southeast Valley in the Phoenix area...Queen Creek, Mesa...and calling themselves Friendly Island Landscape. They certainly tried to scam us. Didn't work.

• Fr
      14th of Jun, 2017

He's back in Redwood City, knocking on doors saying he can help senior citizens, Wants money up front.