KIA Motors / bad paint

1 Winchester, VA, United States Review updated:

I bought a Kia Optima 2012 (Dark Cherry) this Summer, and in less than one month the paint had deteriorated from bird dung, insect debris and from the minimal snow flurries we had this Nov. 27th! I made Kia aware of the situation in order to exercise the suppossedly great warranty they have just to find out that they decided not to do anything about it. The Kia "Inspector" stated that the issue with the paint was "Environmental" therefore, Kia was not going to fix it! I park my vehicle next to our 2003 Kia Sorrento (a black one) and both vehicles are exposed to the same bird droppings, insects, and flurries, as well as millions of cars. The nearly 10 year old car Sorrento has had no paint problems at all. It is ovbious that Kia is taking advantage of its previous popularity and success from the past good quality vehicles they made then, but is selling us substandard, inferior, low quality vehicles now. I will never buy a Kia vehicle ever again. I found myself driving a brand new good looking car (the design of the Optima is great) with 4 and a half years of monthly payments to make, and with a beautiful color stained and rusted just because the vehicle is outside like millions of other cars is enough pain to have learned my lesson.

Comments

11th of May, 2017

I have a KIA Sportage 2015 and the paint is truly weak. The car has collected a few tens of minor scratches on several parts of the car. This is the first KIA car I have and never had problems like this with previous ones I had (Mitsubishi, Toyota and Suzuki). I definitely agree with your comment.

• Kr
      9th of Jan, 2018

I own a 2015 KIA Forte Koupe with the electric blue paint. 2 weeks ago not a thing wrong with it. I went through a "touchless" car wash this morning and as I was walking into work this morning noticed about 30 circular paint chips all over the hood of the car. My car sits in a garage and is not over exposed to elements. It appears to be ONLY on the hood of the car, not the roof, trunk, etc. So I believe this to be an issue with either the paint they use or the application of it. Do I have any recourse back to the manufacturer on this?

• Ka
      15th of May, 2018

@KRohl I just took a 2017 Sedona to the dealers body shop this morning with paint off the hood same as yours some circular shapes and some look like drag marks over an inch long. The vehicle has 2700 miles...that's two thousand seven hundred. The estimator ask me if I parked under a tree. I don't. But if I did so what? Paint should be able to stand up to almost anything except maybe hail...and I seen hail damage that hasn't broke paint. I had a 2003 same Sedona it did the same thing wouldn't you think in 14 years they would be able to get paint right? That one by the way, was painted so many different times it looks like a calico cat ( it was Sapphire Blue) This one is black.

• Di
      19th of Apr, 2018

I have a 2013 Kia Optima and I love it. But I will never ever buy another Kia. I only have 66000 miles on my Kia.
    At 50, 000 they had to replace the motor. Which I find very odd but I guess there was some problems with the motors. The dealership that replaced it was great. I still go there for all my oil changes and service maintenances. They really take care of you. Now the problem is the paint is peeling off on the pillar on my windshield. It is also peeling off on the trunk and also inside the trunk. I took it to the dealership and was told it was out of warranty for the paint. Which is 3 years. But they took a report, took pictures and sent them to the Kia Consumers Affairs. I was told they would not fix it. But I believe this is a Kia problem and they should take care of it whether its out of warranty or not. Paint jobs don't start peeling for no reason. I have owned numerous other cars and none of them have ever had the paint peel off. I was told at the dealership they have had other people come in with the
    same problem. The person at Kia Consumers Affairs escalated higher and I received a phone call again telling
    me it's out of warranty and they would not fix it. It is not my fault that the paint is peeling off and I would venture
    to say it the paint they use or the car isn't prep correctly before they paint it. I believe Kia should take care of
    this problem, especially before it gets worse. I am not happy about this and will not ever buy a Kia again. I'm posting this out of frustration with the company and I bet it would be safe to say they don't read these or respond to the comments.
    Cheri from Calfiornia

• Io
      28th of Apr, 2018

I have a pearl white 2013 Optima, today I notice a 1x3 inch of paint missing from inside passenger windshield post, just wondering if this is a problem for others. Sad thing is I only have 28k miles.

• Ka
      15th of May, 2018

@IORTOO You got 25, 300 more miles than Me out of the paint job

• Bu
      23rd of May, 2018

Hi, I bought a Sorento in 2010 and had exactly the same issue. For me, Kia asked me to get an independent engineers report and spend extra money before they told me where to go. NEVER buy a Kia is my suggestion, they are decent enough mechanically but the Warranty is not worth the paper it is written on and the paint quality is the worst I have ever seen in 30+ years of owning cars. I don't say this lightly I assure you. Kia were much cheaper back in 2010 also, I don't think I could stomach today's prices now that I know how poor quality they are. If I can stop just one person buying a Kia with this post then I will be happy.