K.H. Kim's Tae Kwon Do / Poor business practices

I contracted services at K.H. Kim's Tae Kwon Do/Oriental Arts Training Center at the beginning of April 2009 for my two boys who had already achieved a advanced level belt (ages 7 & 8). While there was a schedule of classes, there was NOT a schedule of instructors who might be teaching particular classes. One of the instructors in particular had a complete lack of instruction skills nor could he muster the enthusiasm to even pretend that he wanted to teach the classes. It literally appeared he may have been there against his own will. Overall, the instruction was substandard at this school which claims to have a superior curriculum.

Around mid-June I had a meeting with the head instructor to point out my concerns regarding the poor class curriculum.

There were very abusive older (teen-aged) blackbelts. There were black belts (students) yelling at my children. The final incident which convinced me to terminate contract was when my 8-year-old son was physically shoved from the drinking fountain while taking a drink by a black belt. There was a definite theme of tyranny and a lack of respect by the black belts. One of the main principles of Tae Kwon Do is the path of development to wisdom, respect and leadership. This was not the case at K.H. Kims!

I sent a letter to K.H. Kim's July 15, 2009 outlining everything that had taken place and advising we would be withdrawing our contract due to the aforementioned reasons.

My husband spoke with K.H. Kims the first week in August at which time he was told he would need to speak with K.H. Kim. My husband asked that he leave a message for K.H. Kim to please call him. K.H. Kim never called back. My husband phoned again mid August at which time he spoke with K.H. Kim again letting him know we would be canceling the contract due to abusive physical tactics by their black belts. K.H. Kim stated he would not cancel the contract.

K. H. Kim has continued to bill for services not delivered.

All I want is the contract cancelled. There is no excuse for the tolerance of these abusive and older black belt students while we are being billed for services not renderer and furthermore cancelled.

Ri

Comments

• Tk
      8th of Feb, 2010

I realize this is a year later and not helpful to you, but I have had a positive experience with this business.

I am very surprised you had such a bad experience - in my past dealings Grand Master Kim has always been very focused on respect and the basic tenants of Tae Kwon Do. On belt testing day he focuses on the kids respect for their parents, their grades, responsibilities at home, etc. and tries to instill the more traditional Korean values.

2 of my kids took instruction through our town's Park District which is taught by one of their masters, and we have had such a positive experience that now my whole family participates. We have 7 - 5 kids plus mom and dad. We also regularly participate in Northbrook at their headquarters - where your experience occurred - on a demonstration team and in other classes. We drive several miles each way to participate so though it is a big commitment (financially and time-wise) we have found it worthwhile.

I have interacted with several of the kids in various belt colors including black belts and have found most to be respectful. From time to time there are kids that have various challenges - primarily because martial arts tend to provide good therapy and training for children with attention and other issues. This can make class difficult at times, and I have seen cases where the instructors have advised the parents to withdraw kids from class if they are not able to get them under control after several sessions. In the mean time, the whole group tends to work together to help the kids that need guidance get used to more discipline so the class can progress as needed.

There are several instructors - and they do tend to change over time. For the past few years, Masters Karloff and So have instructed me and my kids and I have found them to be very good. They are dedicated and I have never seen them turn away anyone who asks for help any time they are available. My instructor, Master Salinas, does a very good job with the kids and has solid experience. Perhaps the instructor you worked with did move on... I hope so if they had that type of attitude.

I would point out that participants are expected to follow instructions and they are treated as any coach would treat their players - whether the sport is baseball, basketball, football, etc. The classes are smoother and more gets done when people pay attention. The Masters do yell attention (in Korean) etc. to call the class to order and perform. As people move up the belts, more discipline and leadership is expected. Kids with higher belts will be doing push-ups, etc. if they are screwing around and not paying attention (though the instructors' bark is usually worse then their bite). Almost without exception, even the kids that get in trouble from time to time respect the Masters and have fun (and know they deserved what they got).

I have seen kids with very little ability to keep focus at first grow into responsible, athletic and mature kids as they go through the system. It is amazing to see the kids take a leadership role once they reach Black Belt. Even kids that drop out of TKD often benefit from having been in this type of environment.

I hope others who read this give this business and similar ones a try and judge for themselves - it can be a very positive experience.

14th of May, 2011

I agree, I'm surprised more people haven't complained, I did tae kwon do with this guy many years ago when I was a teenager, not only did he NEVER teach a class and have other chatos teach his classes, but he was a rip off. He wanted a ridiculous amount of money each month and the promotion tests were a crazy amount as well. I'm shocked he's still in business.