Kenneth Haley Law Firm LLC / Breach of Contract, Fee Theft

1 6770 Alexander Bell Drive, STE 185Columbia, MD, United States Review updated:

I am an Active Duty Service Member. On 9 March 2012 I retained Mr. Haley’s legal services by signing a contract and paying him $1400 toward his $2800 flat fee. During this initial consultation, I requested that he immediately file a petition with the court to terminate my once voluntary guardianship of a minor child because I was scheduled to receive custody of said child on 31 July 2012. During this consultation he advised me to cease paying child support opining that the court erred in allowing me to pay it in the first place. In his opinion, because my guardianship was voluntary, the child support order was not enforceable and I ceased paying child support at his direction. To date I have paid him $2600 of his $2800 flat fee according to his installment schedule, all the while submitting to his consistent failure to provide me with any documents he may have filed on my behalf while consistently being unprofessional, discourteous, dishonest, non civil, and disrespectful in his yet infrequent communication with me regarding the status of my case and his action/inaction. On 21 June 2012, I notified him that I was served that day with a notice to appear in court for being in contempt for failure to pay child support and inquired whether or not he had even filed my petition. He refused to answer my questions directly and assured me everything had been taken care of on his part. On 26 June I found out that he had indeed filed the petition in April but had failed to follow up with the court, which resulted in the case being closed on 31 March. When confronted about this, he continued to be evasive and rude, resorting to his usual hostile and condescending tone which ended with him advising me that he was filing a motion to strike his appearance as my attorney. He cited my "unreasonable expectations" of him as his justification and hung up the phone on me. On a subsequent call, he refused to refund the $2600, despite having breached our contract upon his resignation without just cause. I now face an impending court date without his representation despite the fact that he never filed my own petition and has retained my $2600 which I could use to retain another attorney on short notice. He is, essentially, not only a liar and incompetent attorney, but also a thief and I will have to file grievances with the ABA and the BBB as well as sue him in court in order to recoup my fees which he did not earn.

Comments

• Mr
      10th of Jul, 2013

Very Bad Lawyer. He took my money and didn't even know what he was doing. He fabricated false documents also. don't advice this one for anybody...

• Mu
      21st of Jan, 2014

This man is indeed a thief, a liar, rude and incompetent person. My husband and I retained his services or lack there of the end of 2012. In his consultation he appeared genuine but we soon learned otherwise. Once we signed his contract and paid him his flat 2800 fee that was the last we saw of him. He misfiled our paperwork and in the process gave my husband an alias, not even his name he filed correctly. He never once communicated his fiilings with us and when we called he ignored our calls. We called for 2 weeks before he finally returned our call, at which point he told us that our expectations were unreasonable and that he was going to remove himself from our case. He then proceeded to hang the phone up on my husband . When we informed him that we wanted the remainder of our monies returned to us he out right refused once again saying that were unreasonable. This man is a crook! Dont be caught by this snake save yourself the trouble. He stole our money and never even filed the correct paperwork with the courts.

• Ju
      18th of Mar, 2014
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

He is CRAZY!!!

12th of Oct, 2017

@justiceforme Why do you say he is CRAZY??? What did he do? Please explain to us so that we know and have a better assessment.

• Mc
      21st of Apr, 2014

This case almost exactly mirrors my experience with Mr. Haley two years ago. I validate this reviewer's estimation of Mr. Haley. We are planning to testify against him in court when the State's case against him goes to court. If there ever were a time to read and heed a review, it's now. It will save you a great deal of heartache and money. Good luck.

• Mo
      28th of May, 2014

I second that. He scammed me too for $1500

• Mo
      28th of May, 2014

I found out that his real name is Kenneth alan gingell
    Lives 287 g st sw apt

12th of Oct, 2017

@momsrights Are you sure? I'm hoping we're all talking about the same Kenneth Haley because there are others with the same name and professions. The one I'm talking about is African American, he's from California but now lives in Charlotte, NC, bald head...does that sound familiar to anyone?

• Fi
      19th of Jul, 2014

I am presently filing a complaint about him with the Bar Association. The bum told me that he would do a pension proposal for me for x amount of money. He made it sound easy, and said it would take about a month. After I caught him in several lies and attempts to stall me, I fired him and asked him to refund my money. He said he needed to keep some for his time. WHAT time...he didn't do anything at all! Our agreement was for him to do a proposal. After 3 weeks, he had done NOTHING! I'm in the process of hiring another attorney. If he doesn't return ALL my money. I will sue his butt!

• En
      21st of Aug, 2014

A good looking smooth talker who preys on women. I met him on a Black dating site. Ladies BEWARE!

12th of Oct, 2017

@Enough777 Can you please describe him. I met a Kenneth Haley on a Black People Meet; he's an Attorney too. Smooth talker indeed but that doesn't mean we are all talking about the same guy. So, someone needs to describe him so that we know he is who we're talking about. Yours was the most detailed because you mentioned the black dating website. So that tells us he's African American, good-looking and the website. If this is the same person, his SKYPE name is "Shane" . I questioned him about that too but he told me he uses the name because he always liked it. I thought about it long and hard even after our talk because it just didn't sit right with me. Are we all talking about the same gentleman?

• Bu
      3rd of Dec, 2017

@Nicole Billups He is one and the same!!! The same low life dated us all, based on everyone posted dates, we were all involved in him at the same time. I was in the picture past your posted question. He’s very abusive, manipulative and cruel.

8th of Sep, 2014

Mr. Haley spent the time to speak with me and answered all my questions while other attorneys had there secretary call me or wanted me to come into the office before they would speak to me. His fee was reasonable and the few times we have been to court so far his arguments persuasive. My case is not over but he is doing a great job and knows when to negotiate and when to hold his ground.

• Knowledgeable in the law.
    • Charges a fair price.
    • Always available.
    • Understood my needs.
    • Well prepared.

8th of Sep, 2014

Mr. Haley is unlike any other attorney I have met. He is genuinely a nice person and an exceptional attorney. He is both professional and knowledgeable. While other lawyers were just concerned about how much money they were going to make, he took the time to talk to me and never made me feel pressured. Even when I knew I was asking for more explanation and taking up more of his time than necessary he never made me feel rushed. He knows the law and thinks fast on his feet in court. He was initially not my first choice but even though my case is not over yet, he was the best choice and has already resolved of the issues in my divorce. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

8th of Sep, 2014

The service that Mr. Haley provided in my case far exceeded my expectations considering his VERY reasonable fees. His professionalism and legal knowledge, coupled with his outstanding strategic maneuvering, resulted in a more than favorable outcome on my behalf. I will definitely retain Mr. Haley's services should I need representation in the future and will HIGHLY recommend him to anyone needing EXPERT legal counsel. Willie Singlletary

Nina Grigsby, 01/22/2013
    Mr. Haley communicated with me to ensure he fully understood my situation. Mr. Haley reviewed my case with me and discussed options that were in the best interest of my children. He understood my underlying concerns but also assisted me in keeping focused on what issues were important to my children's welfare. Mr. Haley was fair but firm. He was also intent on ensuring that I felt comfortable with the final outcome of my case and the defined details. I was very pleased not only with the final compromise that was approved but also Mr. Haley's professionalism and legal knowledge as it applied specifically with me and my children. I would definitely turn to Mr. Haley again if the situation presented itself again.

8th of Sep, 2014

He was a great help and saved me a lot of time and money shared more information with me than other attorney because I did not know what to do. The attorney clarified my case and did great job. He began handling my case quickly and just seemed more personable than the other attorneys.
    Shane Hughes

***** by Richard Kolm, 02/10/2012
    He was very knowledgeable about the law and clearly understood my needs. He taught me a lot and explained each step. I learned that when you hire someone for this kind of work, you can't micro-manage but must let them do their job. He was very kind to my family and I can tell he tries hard to build a relationship with his clients. Without a doubt, he gets the job done. Very ethical in the way he does business. I would recommend him to anyone needing an attorney and his fees are more reasonable than the other attorneys I spoke with. I am very happy with the results of my case and can now go on with my life in peace.

***** by Melody Thomasscott, 05/15/2012
    Mr. Haley is professional, knowledgeable about the law and its process, provides clear information that is easily understood and is an advocate for his client.
    Worked on my case for 11 - 20hours

***** by David Armstrong, 08/14/2013
    Excellent & proficient.

Worked on my case for 1 - 5hours

***** by Deborah Downes, 11/05/2012

Worked on my case for 6 - 10hours

***** by James Johnson, 05/22/2012
    Kenneth has been outstanding, he has gone above and beyond the services he has offered. I will deffinatly use his services in the future and i will recomend him as often as humanly possible.

Worked on my case for 21 + hours

***** by Candice jones, 06/17/2014
    Worked on my case for 21 + hours

***** by Greg McGee, 01/05/2012
    The Haley Law Firm has been both knowledgeable and professional in pursuit of my family law issue (divorce). Mr. Kenneth Haley demonstrated an in-depth understanding and knowledge of Maryland family/civil law, and applied same effectively to the specifics of my case. The communication between me and the attorney (Ken Haley) during the initial consultation both inspired confidence in the firm's legal abilities, and indicated a genuine interest in providing me strong and participatory legal representation throughout all facets of the legal process. I highly recommend the "Haley Law Firm."