Kenmore Refrigerator / Sears will not replace lemon

1 Tempe, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 480-839-6590

We have a Kenmore Elite 3 door refrig purchased from the Great Indoors. It has been serviced 5 times ..3 times for the same reason..circuit board quits working..we loose the cooling in both the freezer and frig part. We have lost food 3 times. We have been requesting a replacement and no one in the entire Sears organization has the authority to do anything except tell us we purchased the wrong kind of warranty..they will just continue to repair it as it continues to break. We will never purchase another thing from Sears. I have been hung up on, passed on to other areas and back again and get no where. It is my intention to notify everyone about the poor customer service and refusal to stand behind their products. As I can see from other complaints we are not the only ones that have had serious issues with them.

Comments

• Ka
      16th of Apr, 2008

finally !!! The Better Business Bureau came through
    for us...Sears/The Great Indoors after several attempts to resolve this with the store, gave us full refund toward the purchase of another refrigerator
    after they were contacted by the BBB...Thank you BBB !!!

• Ju
      14th of May, 2008

My sentiments exactly. My Kenmore Trio fridge is failing again after being repaired last year. In the meantime a latch broke off the door (still broken) and the light fixture fell from the top. I ordered the parts and fixed that myself.

The customer disservice department would not connect me to a supervisor and the one source rep wouldn't even give me his last name. He was discourteous to me and to the saleswomen in the local store, where I had gone to seek help after being treated so poorly by the disservice department.

Please write the CEO, William C. Crowley at 3333 Beverly Road, Hoffman Estates, IL 60179 to complain. Sears is in a big financial crunch and they cannot afford the bad press!

• Ju
      20th of May, 2008

Adding to my last comment of six days ago, I had an offer from the appliance manager of the local Sears store. They will refund half the original selling price if I buy a new fridge from them. I am thinking about doing it as I don't have to buy a Kenmore, which I won't. I think it is actually a fair offer as opposed to nothing, which is what I received from customer service. I bought a service manual and found that LG makes this appliance. Their track record is not so hot so it leaves me with GE or Amana. Whatever I buy, I will purchase the extended warranty as I have found tons of complaints on all the companies.

• Pe
      15th of Jun, 2008

We are in the military and just came from our overseas assignment. The house we bought has a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and within a week of moving into our new house, it failed. It was making ice and cooling down but after 24 hrs, it warms up and melts everything. If you shut it down and power it up, the ref cools down again but only for 24 hrs. A light on the ref temp control panel shows the number"4" continuously flashing. I looked at the manual and it seems like it is an error code. I called the number to Sears and Kenmore and no one can tell me what it is unless I pay for an initial $75 visit which will be in a week or so. I think it is a circuit board problem so I am looking up the part to order it online. So far no joy in finding it either. I will go to Sears today with the electrical schematics I found under the ref. I hope they can help me out. If not, I'll write to the CEO as proposed here and see what they can help me with. The ref is probalby 1-2 yrs max. Thanks for all the info from the previous complaints. It helps me find some solutions. Thank you.

• Am
      7th of Oct, 2008

WELL, ITS NOT ALWAYS A STORE ISSUE EITHER. UNFORTUNATELY, KENMORE, WHIRLPOOL AND ALL OF THEIR OTHER COMPANIES REFUSE TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. WE BOUGHT A WHIRLPOOL SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR IN AUGUST OF '08 AND BY SEPTEMBER THE REFRIGERATOR STOPPED WORKING. WE CALLED WHIRLPOOL (WE BOUGHT ALL OF OUR KITCHEN APPLIANCES FROM MENARDS FOR OUR NEW HOME) TO HAVE A REPAIRMAN COME AND LOOK AT IT. WE HAD LOST SOME FOOD AT THIS TIME BUT FIGURED AS LONG AS IT WAS REPAIRED WE JUST DIDNT WANT TO DEAL WITH ANY OTHER ISSUES. REPAIRMAN CAME AND DETERMINED THE PROBLEM, ORDERD THE PARTS, AND SET UP ANOTHER APPOINTMENT 3 DAYS LATER. AFTER THE REPAIR, IT ONLY TOOK TWO WEEKS AND AGAIN IT QUIT. AFTER GROCERY SHOPPING ON A FRIDAY FOR A PARTY AT OUR HOME ON SATURDAY WE FILLED THE REFRIGERATOR. SATURDAY AFTERNOON OUR FOOD WAS WARM AND NOT APPROPRIATE TO FEED GUESTS. SO NOT ONLY IS IT AN INCONVENIENCE BUT VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE. WHEN I COMPLAINED TO WHIRLPOOL, I WAS TOLD IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES IT BREAKS DOWN AND THAT I SHOULD "READ YOUR WARRANTY" . THEY DON'T SEE IT AS A PROBLEM THAT BUYING A NEW REFRIGERATOR IS FOR A PEACE OF MIND THAT YOUR FOOD WILL BE KEPT COLD. OUR EXTENDED PURCHASED WARRANTY WILL NOT KICK IN UNTIL THE MANUFACTURE'S WARRANTY IS VOID. THEN, IF WE HAVE 3 SERVICE CALLS FOR THE SAME THING WE CAN GET OUR MONEY BACK. SO, I GUESS IN 1 YEAR, AND $$$$$GROCERY BILLS LATER, I CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM WITH A SECONDARY WARRANTY I BOUGHT. THAT WILL BE NO THANKS TO WHIRLPOOL. MAKE SURE TO FIND OUT ALL THE NAMES THEY SELL UNDER BEFORE PURCHASING AN APPLIANCE. DEFINATELY WATCH OUT FOR THE SIDE BY SIDE'S. THEY HAVE THE MOST COMPLAINTS WITH NO HELP FROM THE COMPANY.

• Su
      22nd of Nov, 2008

Similar sad story: we have had to spend almost as much on repairs as it cost -- only for it to break down again -- With no response from the company. I foolishly did not continue the repair contract thinking --from the old days- that Sears products were reliable. Never again! We have a bottom freezer Kenmore: DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

• Le
      7th of May, 2009

We had a Whirlpoor for over 12 year and had no issue. Since we bought Kenmore Energy effecient in 2005, my electricity bill went up and we could only put half of the space stuff in there, otherwise it stops working. Now only the freezer is working... so bad... I will never ever buy from Sears.

• Ci
      3rd of Aug, 2009

I have a Kenmore Side By Side that came with a new house..it quit cooling within 6 months..called Sears..repairman said nothing was wrong because it started working again after he got here..After the 1 year warranty ran out it quit again..called Sears..sent a repairman out..he said it could be anything but didn't fix it.Year later..same thing..this time said it could be evaporator fan...another repairman not related to Sears said he thought it was the sealed system which is still under warranty.Today..quit again.I am done with it...3 years old and have lost all my food 5 times..today after I grocery shopped.I'm not spending any more on service calls or money on it.Sears won't replace what is obviously a lemon..and I am tired of paying for service calls and not having it fixed.I feel the outside repairman is correct and it is the sealed system which is still under warranty and that is why they keep telling me it is other things.He refused to fix it because he said Sears should honor the warranty..so yet another service call and no repairs.I cut my Sears credit card up (after being a cardholder for 25 years) and will never set foot in another Sears or Sears affiliate.They used to back their products...now they just don't give a crap.

• Le
      8th of Jan, 2011

I am having a similar experience. My 2-1/2 old Sears Kenmore side-by-side has stopped working, and the soonest Sears can get someone out to look at it is in about 3 weeks!!! We have since called a local independent repairman, but he has been unable to get it to work after several tries and hundreds of dollars. I called the salesman who sold the unit to us, and he express his sympathy, and gave me some phone numbers to call, but I just ended up back at the same call center telling me I had to wait for three weeks.
    NO MORE SEARS PRODUCTS FOR ME!

• Fr
      29th of Dec, 2011

We have all three appliances from Sears..stove, fridge, washer and dryer. Our appliances are only 6 years old and have been worked on numerous times. our washer was worked on last year and it took them 6 weeks to figure it out. I spent a tremendous amount of money at the laundromat and they only gave me Sears cards for refund meaning I had to go to their store and spend it. That did not help with my loss of money. Now, my fridge is broke. It keeps freezing up on the fridge side. They have been here 4x to try to fix it. It is still not fixed. I have lost groceries and no one seems to know how to refund me the money back for them. They just came last week to "fix" it and guess what, still not fixed. I was under the impression that if they can't fix something after 3 times they are supposed to give a new product; but it seems no one knows anything about that. NEVER again will I buy from Sears. NO MORE!!! I could have bought a sub-zero or a professional grade for what I have paid for these products plus their repairs. I want to take my fridge and my washer and put a big lemon on it and sit it on their front porch. NO MORE SEARS PRODUCTS FOR ME EITHER!!!