Kenmore / microwave oven model [protected]

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

Today I dumped our replaced Kenmore Microvave at Sears Repair Center. This second one lasted 15 months. The first one lasted 8 months.
There will not be a third. Being told to buy extended warranty is not an answer. Good riddance to Kenmore/Sears. Once upon a time products were meant to last a long time; now, they are cheaply made, the better to break down sooner, rather than later. The result is to force unsatisfied consumers to continue replacing products, while creating endless landfills. And no thanks to Consumer Reports on this recommendation. They base them on very short term test.

Comments

• Lw
      24th of Feb, 2011

My Kenmore microwave 721.63252301, 6 months old started arcing while I was zapping a small mug of water for 30 seconds. Luckily I was in the kitchen and heard the zapping. I turned to see black smoke coming from under the door. I was directed to take it back to a certain Sears. I had to make arrangements for someone to come with me because I cannot lift it. We were told that they don't take them there any more. I had to bring it back home, and take it to a facility a 25 minute drive from home. (An employee did carry it from the car for me.) I called to ask about it the next week and the technician who worked on it told me he had to clean out the smoke and replace the door as it had melted a bit. I expressed concern that it would happen again and be a fire hazard. He said it shouldn't be a problem. I paid for a new machine, and now I am getting a patch job. Ugh. This is our last Kenmore purchase. I also purchased a Consumer Report "Best Buy" white canister Kenmore vacuum. It was so heavy and unwieldy that I gave it to my son for his frat house and use my 20+ year old Hoover instead.