Kenmore Elite Trio Refrigerator / No cold air in freezer

We purchased the Kenmore Trio Elite Refrigerator in early 2005. Two months later, the ice-maker was not producing ice. They came out and fixed it. One year later the freezer died. No cold air. Everything had to be thrown out. They said it would take almost a week to fix and costs me lots of $$$. I am very disappointed with Sears Customer Service and this refrigerator. I spent almost $2400... I should have shelled out an additional $500 and purchased a Thermador! Sears should be ashamed for selling a product that is defective.

Ta

Comments

8th of Aug, 2007

I, too, purchased a Sears Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator and have had nothing but problems. I have had Sears repair techs out to look at the freezer 4 times since we purchased the refrigerator back in December 2005. The freezer hinges are junk and there seems to be no repair kit or recall on the item. The hinges freeze up, then when the freezer is opened, the hinges break. The doors (all three) don't align properly and they don't shut properly. Each technician at Sears that has come out has given me a different explanation for the problem and how they will fix it. And, all of them mentioned that this seems to be a design problem! Why can't they fix it if so many people have complained! Good thing I bought the extended warranty, but the techs also said it would be a recurring problem even after the term is up and then I would be responsible for the cost of getting someone to come out!

• Tu
      20th of Nov, 2007

We bought a Kenmore Trio refrigerator with the ice maker on the door in Jan,2007 while we remodeled our kitchen. We install the new refrigerator the end of Feb and it wasn't working at all. Luckily, we had a backup one in the basement to save our food. It was replaced in March, 2007 by Sears after a few frustrated phone calls. Since then, the ice maker has problems at least three times. It stopped making ice and the ice inside was melting onto the hard wood underneath. We are really thinking hard and may want to push Sears to replace a different model for us this time.

• St
      21st of Dec, 2007

I to have now started to have problems with my Kenmore Elite Trio. I have researched the error code that appears on the LCD on the internet since it is not in any owners manuals I got with the machine. According to what I have found I need to turn off the ice maker and unplug the unit for at least 3 minutes to reset the error code. I just got off the phone with Sears who informed me the soonest they could send a tech repair person was a week from today (12/21/2007). They also informed me to put any food that goes bad in a bag and keep it to show them when they get here. Will be going to Sears tomorrow to see what can be done.

• Ro
      7th of Jan, 2008

My kenmore trio that I purchased 12/07 will not make ice. The tray does not fill with water althought you can get water from the water dispenser.

Sears have sent people out to fix the problem, the last person said he can't fix it.

Has anyone had the same same problem, but since has gotten fix.
    PLEASE tell me how to fix it.

• El
      14th of Jan, 2008

I bought the same fridge in July of 2006. I've had the thermostat replaced 3 times. They say there is no recall. Two days ago the temp. rose to 55 degrees in the fridge and 30 in the freezer. I can't tell you how much $ I've lost im food.

26th of Jan, 2008

Bought the sears trio in late 05, paid a bundle.
    have had at least 6 service calls, frezzer iced up often, fan was very noisy and finally siezed Sears repalced with the same model once and all the problems remain. Today the ice make quit.
    be carefull, many manufactuers have the same design.

• Er
      8th of Feb, 2008

We purchased Kenmore "elite trio" (LG) 25cu ft bottom freezer "piece-o-junk" in Dec 2006. Now lots of failing, one year and one month later.

Water dispenser dribbles. Lo-tech electronics in control panel pierced water dispenser water line. And there may be more to it, like bad water shut-off in frige.

Icemaker won't produce ice... so have been looking at the posts here, and like the one where the technician said it cannot be fixed.

Reading instructions one finds instructions to clean (vacuum off) the heat exchanger, which can only be reached by pulling out the frige, and removing a panel on the back.

Icemaker tray allows ice to fall all over when the freezer tray is pulled out to get any ice (when the icemaker used to work).
    Control panel reports only the target frige/freezer temps, not the actual (or so it appears... there is no information in the user manual to suggest otherwise).

And the door fit is horrible. French doors will only close with careful pressure (never by themselves). And now the rubber/plastic seal on the left door is falling apart (and there are only two mature adults in our home using this frige).

In short, Sears ought to be ashamed of this product. No wonder Sears is having trouble with its financial recovery.

27th of Feb, 2008

Last night when I opened up my Kenmore Trio (Model 46-76519) to find the temp for the top refrig part was 40 and quickly rising while the freezer was -3 and quickly dropping. I purchased this 7/31/2005 (delivered 8/6/2005) and had numerous problems with Sears in Aug/Sept 2005 getting them to send the right parts to fix little things that the Sear's deliverers broke when they installed the unit. At the time I was very unhappy with Sears now I'm fuming!!!! From what I can tell from all these emails is that the Kenmore Trio is a lemon! I expect a refrig that cost me about $1700 to last MUCH longer than 2.5 years.

Who makes the Kenmore refrigs? I don't want to purchase another LEMON!!!!

• Sk
      10th of Mar, 2008

Bought my Trio 15 months ago. Water dispenser quit working. Ice maker is very slow. I repalced the filter and checked the water inlet. No problems there. I took a look at the switch and it's making contact. I tend to believe it's a bad solenoid. Tech is coming Saturday. Bet he doesn't have the part and the saga begins...

• Pe
      23rd of Mar, 2008

Have had the Trio for about 2 yr: works but is really noisey when first starting. Sounds like a loose tinny metal panel. If I gently lean or pry (with a soft wood dowel) the condensor coils (under 'fridge) buzz goes away. Buzz goes away after about 1 to 2 minutes after starting. Buzz is lound enough to be heard throughout the house.

• Cc
      18th of Apr, 2008

I just had a tech here for my Trio and after waiting 4 days for him to come and they knew that the refer part was not cooling, they did'nt have the part on the truck and now I have to wait 7 more days. This frig has been in use under 3 years - cost a bundle - and now will cost about 400.00 to fix. same evaporator and thermostat that others are having problems with. Why no recall?a80ec

• Jb
      18th of Jun, 2008

These refrigerators are not worth the money Sears charges for them. The water dispenser does not work. The doors don't seal, and the temps. are either too warm or too cold and you don't even have to touch the dial. Noticed last week that the freezer stopped cooling for a period of time and everything started to melt.
    Wish we had this decision to make over again. First we had a new GE that dripped and ruined our hardwood floor, and now we have the Kenmore Elite Trio which is only a few years old and is just awful. We have spent $4, 000 in 7.5 years on refrigerators and are facing having to purchase another.

• Ke
      13th of Nov, 2008

We purchsed our Trio in "06. Since then it's been slowly disinagrating. First the ice maker didn't work properly. The water never froze into cubes and water would run into the ice bucket forming one large chunk. Then the lever broke that controlled how much ice was being made and dumped cubes all over the freezer. Next the wheels on the vegetable drawer broke off. The following week the wheels on the fruit drawer broke. Now the entire lower shelf has broken, the drawers don't open and shut and we can't put anything on the shelf. I am waiting ... waiting...waiting for the repair man to fix this POS.

• Ur
      14th of Dec, 2008

I agree with everyone on this post. My wife and I purchased an Elite Trio Model 596.75532400 in 06’. We also had the delivery crew break 3 shelf tabs upon delivery (detrash instructions probably are wrong or not being followed). I walked right back into my sears store and told the guy if he did not have the shelf tabs in stock I would remove them from one of the refrigerators or return it. I ended up pulling 2 tabs out of the floor model. The next thing was the really bad noise/vibration coming from the freezer. I called a tech in after week #2. He took a look at the evaporator fan motor and said it was spinning fine. I have been working as an electronics tech for 16 years and I know that new AC motors should be quite as a mouse. He said he could not replace it unless it wasn't spinning. Guess what, it just failed 2 weeks ago (Fridge temp went to room but freezer was fine). I did not purchase the extended warrantee because I can fix anything that fails as long as I can get parts. When I pulled the cover panel off the evaporator coils I quickly noticed that the fan making noise for the last 2 years was frozen. I could just barely get it spinning with a little nudge but as soon as it powered off it would not spin up again. Appliance Parts Depot has a replacement fan for $31.00. It takes about 15 minutes to replace it and once replaced you will never have to hear that thumping noise again. The old fan has a PWM control board with a poorly balanced armature and crappy bearings (Made in Korea). The new fan has no control board (a little less energy efficient) but it has a higher RPM and is quite as a mouse. I have some video that I will post on You-Tube shortly. I also removed my Ice maker because of the noise it was making and noticed that every other Ice making cycle ends up with one or 2 pieces of Ice jammed in between the plastic guide rails. I believe it is poorly designed. If you hear a noise like a motor hunting back and forth then there is ice jammed causing the ejector shaft to bind up and the gear-motor is slipping. I haven’t tried the Pam nonstick spray trick but it probably doesn’t last too long and leaves ice cubes tasting funny. I haven’t had the water dispenser problem yet but I look forward to it. This fridge is made by LG (Life is not good).

• Li
      16th of Jan, 2009

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio model #795.75549401 in August 2005. I have never been happy with it. The doors have never seemed to seal properly and the bottom freezer does not even seem to completely close. Of course Sears has told me that all is well and that the seals are all working correctly. Yesterday I noticed an error code er ff. I tried to contact Kenmore to ask what this error code was and of course could reach no one in the evening. This morning after holding 35 minutes I was informed that they would have to send a "tech" out to look at it for a fee of $70.00. The could not tell me what the er ff was or if there was anything I could do to fix it. They also tried to sell me several extended service agreements over the phone. Why should you have to buy these extended service agrements when you are buying from a company you believe to be reputable. These refrigerators are expensive and should last longer than 3 1/2 years.

Urb, what was the model # of the fan u purchased to fix your problem it sounds the same as mine?

6th of Feb, 2009

We bought the Kenmore Trio refrigerator (made by LG) and the icemaker failed at about 1 year. Called Sears and they came out and changed some kind of computer board. They knew right away about the issue and were very nice. No problems since then.

• Gu
      8th of Feb, 2009

We purchased the same quality piece of junk 3 years ago and we get the same "er ff" code.What the hech does this stand for ? We just got a letter last week from LG regarding the stated energy consumption.The Dept. of Energy nailed them for mis stating the rating of course it uses much more than it was supposed to.The letter also states that if this is one of the effected models they will fix it and possibly pay back electric bills.What the hech is that code??????????? Has any one had to pay to get it fixed? What did it cost? HELP.

18th of Feb, 2009

Agree with everyone else, this fridge is a POS. We've had to replace the icemaker (2x), something with the defrost sensor (needed replacement), it hums really load occasionally. All the other complaints apply like the doors don't shut. Jeez...

9th of Apr, 2009

In 2007 we purchased a $2600 Kenmore Trio French Door ENERGY EFFICIENT fridge made for Sears Kenmore by LG. Fastforward, 2 years later, April 2009 - we receive an undated letter with no letterhead - from stating that LG misinterpretated the Department of Energy (DOE) testing rules for refrigerators, and NOW the rating for this product reflects a higher energy useage than was indicated on the labels and purchase materials than when we bought the product!! It states we are entitled to cash payments for past & future energy use AND a modification to our refrigerator ice maker. The phone number to call was a Sears number.
    Why upgrade just the ice maker, why not the refrigerator itself? Where is the recall?? LG/Sears, get it right before we shell out $2600 for a refrigerator!! $2600 dollars ~ And this is the best you can do? We deserve a better return on our investment. April 2009

• Au
      15th of Apr, 2009

We're getting the ER FF on our Kenmore (LG) fridge too. purchased 2005. Ice maker has broken a few times. we eventually quit calling to get it repaired. Spent too much on the fridge to just get rid of it, so we'll get someone to deal with the ER FF problem. I did take off the back panel behind the freezer and didn't see anything obvious. Lots of dust, so we cleaned it out.

What is the phone number to call for the energy use rebate/recall?