Kenmore Electric Range / fire hazard

75 year old mother in law was cooking dinner, put garlic bread in oven and set timer. Before timer went off the smoke started rolling from the oven vent and the garlic bread was burning. She shut off the control for the oven and removed the pan. Then she noticed the burner was glowing brighter than she had ever seen it. Immediately she called me. I was about 30 min. away grocery shopping and asked her if she thought she could find the house breaker, she couldn't. I drove like a nut home to find her frantic, the kitchen in shambles and the range pulled from the wall with the plug pulled out. A friend of the family was kind enough to assist her with it. After almost 2 hours you could still not hardly touch the range outer walls and the kitchen wall itself was still hot. When the unit was plugged in again the lower element came immediately back on even though the control panel showed it was off. Model number is [protected] and serial number VF13009839. Needless to say Sears is not interested in assisting with the situation at all. I now have to scrape together enough money to purchase a new (definately not frigidare or kenmore) range. I wouldn't even think of fixing it. Fix it with what, more junk parts that could do it all over again? What in heavens name is Sears problem, are they just waiting for someone like my mother in law to die before they stand up and take responsibility? The woman can't even fix a hot meal without risking her life. Everyone needs to be aware of severe risk with having these units plugged in to a power supply, let alone using them to cook with. I cannot express enough my anger and concern with the product and it's representatives. Knowing there are other people out there who are totally unaware of the danger that is sitting in their kitchen just waiting for the opportunity to destroy their home and possibly take their life makes for alot of sleepless nights for me but obviously not for the manufacturer or their distributors.

Co

Comments

•   Sep 24, 2010

Dear couch01,

I'd like to apologize for responding late to your post here; I just came across it. I'm Scott with Sears Cares Escalations within corporate. I'm truly sorry and concerned about what I've read here. I definitely can understand your cause for concern and stress over this situation. Heating elements should not get so hot to the point where the range unit itself is too hot to touch. I'm so sorry to hear of the fear and inconvenience, to say the least, this has caused your mother-in-law and yourself. We'd like to offer assistance. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [protected]@searshc.com so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the range was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (couch01) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.
    Sears Cares

• Jw
      May 25, 2011

Hello couch01,

My wife called me at work today to tell me our Kenmore stove was on fire. It does not sound like the same problem you had, but as I read more about Kenmore problems, I do not think I want to fix mine. Nobody got hurt, but I am afraid that next time we will not be so lucky. My wife turned the stove on broil and heard what she called a sizziling noise then saw fire coming from the back of the stove. She tried to turned off the stove, then after a few seconds, the fire went out. When she called me I told her to switch off the breaker, the same as you told your mother.

We bought the stove in 2005, the model number is 790.[protected]. I called Sears and they offer to send someone out to fix it for $239. I expect that the control panel needs to be replaced and $239 is likely a fair price, but I also expect the we will have the same problem again in the future. Sears seems to have no interest in offering any help. They only recommended that I submit a report.

• Jw
      May 27, 2011

My wife turned the stove on broil and heard what she called a sizzling noise, then heard a loud pop and saw fire coming from the back of the stove. She tried to turned off the stove, after a few seconds the fire went out. When she called me, I told her to switch off the house breaker. I looked at the area where the fire came from and it looks like the problem started in the circuit board. I talked to Sears and wrote an email to someone at Sears cares. I was contacted by a case worker. She informed me that she researched the model number and there are no known issues with the product. I asked some technical questions she could not answer and she gave me a number to call to get some answers. I was put in contact with a technician that was very helpful. After a few minutes of discussion I had the technician cross check the circuit board in my stove with other reported returns. He was able to confirm there have been other circuit boards returned with the same concern. I was shocked because Sears identified that there were no reported problems with my model. To make sure I was hearing this correct, I had the technician repeat what he said and he described the other reported conditions. They were exactly the same as the concern that I reported. He informed me that the manufacturer has been notified of the problem, however a new design circuit board is not available at this time. I shared this information with the case worker, but I am not sure this did any good because I got a big speech about the fact that I bought the stove and the warranty has expired. At that moment it was clear to me that Sears does not stand behind the product that they sell.

My wife and I bought the stove in Oct 2005 for over $1, 000. The model number is 790.[protected]. I called Sears and they offered a discount if I want the stove repaired or they will offered a discount on a new stove from Sears. I would like to think I can work something out with Sears, but it is my understanding that the replacement part is the same design as the one that failed in my stove. If I put the same part in the stove, there is a chance that I will have the same issue again. I was luckly that the fire went out. I do not want to take that chance again. The discount offered on a new stove was poor. It was no better then a discount anyone could get if they shop for the right sale.

I am very disappointed with Sears and will report this information to the CPSC. I am not sure what I am going to do with the stove, but I am thinking of trying to find a company that will stand behind the products they sell.

•   May 27, 2011

To JWDL,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and I am very sorry that you have not yet recieved an acceptable solution to this issue. Unfortunately I could not find your information with Sears Cares to reference to this issue. We do value your business and would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at [protected]@searshc.com and provide a contact phone number and the phone number the stove was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (JWDL) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Da
      May 31, 2011

We have a Kenmore 790.9612. The front left burner sometimes will not turn off immediately, but instead continues to burn extremely hot. The burner does not respond to the dial being turned to off or any other temperature setting. Like others, we called Sears and were told that there'd be a cost to repair it. I understand that the warranty has expired, but this is a broad problem, not an isolated incident. The control board on these 790's is obviously defective as I have now read many reports of broilers causing fires and oven eyes not turning off. Like the above complainant, I'm unsure if I want this repaired as I find it hard to trust the product. Moreover, Sears's reluctance to acknowledge the problem or deal with it fairly is a concern. We remodeled our kitchen four years ago and went to Sears based on its reputation, but with two failed appliances from that purchase, one of which seems very dangerous, I'm having a hard time having faith in the company.

•   May 31, 2011

To davidvc04,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we would like to help. I have reached out to you under a previous posting so if you've already replied please disregard this message. At your convenience, please contact our office at [protected]@searshc.com. Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (davidvc04) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.