Keiser University - Sarasota / fraudulent fees / tuitions

1 FL, United States Review updated:

Keiser University does not clearly display their tuitions and fees on their site nor do they clarly explain what the fees and tuitions are during the orientation. Keiser does not operate under a credits per hour system, instead charge a bulk rate for a semester no matter how many classes you take. Example: Keiser runs 4 terms per semester. Full time students take 4 classes (term 1, 2, 3 & 4) per semester and 1/2 time takes 2 classes per semester (terms 1, 2 & 3.4) concentration classes are 4 credits and gen. ed. classes are 3 credits. If you attend evening classes at Keiser you pay the same for 8 credits for a concentration class and for a 1/2 time program as you would pay for 6 credits. Simply put, no matter how many credits you take, they still charge you the same. Full time students pay roughly 6, 200 for the semester and 1/2 time pays roughly 3, 100. Also they tack on a $400 academic charge every semester in addition to your regular tution. This does not even include books yet.

The worst part about Keiser is their smooth operation of getting you signed up before you know any of this. From the beginning they bring you in with an advisor, interview you and ask if you'd like to fill out an application since you were "accepted". The application fee is $50 and your transcript transfer fee is $5. If you decide to go futher, your registration fee is $145. That's $205 even before you get to orientation. Your books are waaaay expensive and don't count on transerring any of your credits since Keiser changes the course numbers so your credit from the local community college or wherever doesn't qualify. They say they accept them but there is a specific clause in the handbook that says that they can change their minds at any time.

If you decide to quit Keiser in the first couple weeks of the monthly semester, you do not get a refund. The advisor tells you this in the initial meeting. They keep your money no matter what. There are numerous stories of people having problems with Keiser over money and through my experience, I can see that that's all they are interested in. The way they rush you through the process is evidence of how they want to rope you in and get you to sign your name on the dotted line before you can back out.

In my case, my AA degree would have costed me close to $50, 000 after all was said and done. I opeted out before I signed anything. My advice is READ VERY CAREFULLY. Keiser is a private college and can pretty much do what they want. They are accredited but that does not guarantee you that other colleges will take their credits nor they take others. Personally, I feel it's a big scam that guarantees you a degree but at a huge cost. I am going back to community college and biting the bullet for the extended time frame. 67 dollars a credit hour is way worth more than $50, 000 for an AA !

Comments

• Je
      23rd of Mar, 2009

Dr. Keiser is obviously a pompous a****** for naming a school after himself. Keiser is clearly a business and the students are not put first. I happened to be in the same room when he made a very kind employee cry. I'm so glad I left!!!

4th of May, 2009

I hate that place. They are unprofessional and nasty. Don't let the ads fool you. It is a not nice place.

• Mi
      12th of May, 2009

Thanks so much for this. I'm a high school senior and was introduced to Keiser recently by a speaker who came into my English class. When I asked how much it would cost I was never clearly answered. I have read many other reports claiming just what this article has said. I have done my research and am no longer interested in attending Keiser. Thanks for saving my parents a lot of money!

• Ra
      26th of Sep, 2009

You should check it out now 28 students in a small room. And the parking situation.

• Hi
      20th of Apr, 2010

2 Years wasted. Unqualified teaching staff or maybe they could not get a job
    at a Accredited Educational Institution.
    Alot of money so Keiser can buy fuel for his jet.
    Student Appreciation Day: One hot dog.
    Non-Transferable Credits...Worthless Degree
    We learned Windows 2000, while the industry was using Windows XP.
    Thanks for the gumball.

• Po
      2nd of May, 2011

Keiser University is a joke. To prove this, I have nearly completed an AS degree without even buying one book, and have a 3.5 GPA. The classes are offered to instructors as templates to prevent any need to think or be involved in the teaching process. Additionally, I have personally seen students at Keiser, whom should have failed, pass because they cried about their grades. One instructor (Dr. Mayberry), before a recent termination, would have a review the day before the mid-term and final in which she would read the test questions to the class ver badem, with the answers. Every student who had A&P at the Daytona campus probably couldn't tell you the difference between your duodenum and your aorta. A instructor of a core class actually tested this theory by giving his class a pop anatomy quiz. 25 questions, multiple choice, simple anatomy. 12 out of 14 in the class failed the test with a 50% or less. The 2 that passes, did so with 90% or higher, and actually took that elective class at a different institution prior to joining Keiser.

• Sm
      16th of Oct, 2012

They roped me in by saying they would except my military LPN Credits. I need to complete a few prerequisite classes before I started the core RN Program. One week before I finished my last prerequisite I was told that none of my military credits would be excepted. I have been a working LPN for 9 years and now have to repeat things I have already been taught and actively been doing for most of my professional career. I feel like I have been lied too. I would have chosen a different university had I known this prior to starting. Also, I used older books to pass classes since the classes were tailored to them.