Kazuma Meerkat 50 cc Quad / Bad gas tanks!

1 Devore Heights, CA, United States Review updated:

I bought my son a 50CC meerkat from Raceway ATV and am not repairing the 2nd gas tank. THe first leaked around the seam in the middle of the tank and then the entire filler neck broke off. The second on the filler neck is breaking off. it spills gas all down the tank and my 6 yr. old had gas on his legs. I feel my JB weld fix is better than another 80 dollar junk tank. This is ridiculous.

Comments

• Ed
      13th of Jun, 2008

I had the same problem with the neck breaking off !

• Rt
      9th of Jul, 2008

Same problem here. Neck broke off.

• Sh
      14th of Jul, 2008

I bought the 50cc meerkat about 2 and half years ago, it's been setting for over a year because of the neck braking on the fuel tank. I refuse to spend $80.00 on a new tank. Our neighborhood atv/small engine repair shop said this is a real problem with these atv's. So the meerkat is still sitting and Santa brought a 50cc dirt bike, which he loves and has no problems with. I'll keep looking for a deal on the fuel tank. I do believe Kazuma should be addressing the issues with all Kazuma consumers. Did the JB weld work???

• Me
      4th of Aug, 2008

We purchased 2 meerkats for our kids. The first year one of the gas tank necks broke. The next year the other one broke. Very disappointing. I just want to get rid of them.

• Do
      24th of Aug, 2008

same here neck broke off does anybody know where i can get another one have been quoted 129.00

• Ti
      26th of Sep, 2008

we had the same problem with the redcat kmx-50cc same as kazuma meercat 50cc found gas tanks fuel tanks here.so far the best price around.www.sunlparts.net they sell a few other parts for that atv too.

• Br
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I bought a meerkat last year for my daughter and in 3 weeks the neck of the tank broke off, Then spent $88.00 on another one, 1 1/2 months later same thing. This is getting old. I think Kazuma should cover some of the costs when EVERYONE is having the same problem with their product.

• He
      10th of Nov, 2008

I have one too. Gas all over my daughters legs. At first I though it was just a gasket missing or something and then I really got to looking at it and found the neck was fixin' to break off in three places. I hit it with some super glue and held it down for about 10 minutes and put the cap back on but it still leaked. I went around the base if it with some Black ATV sealer and that seemed to do the trick. Will probably end up JB Welding it though. I'm not gonna give $80 for a tank for it!

• Se
      17th of Nov, 2008

I have the same problem with my 4 year old son Meerkat 50. This is unforgivable. I thought I was the only one with this problem until I went on line to try and find a tank for my sons BIRTHDAY GIFT thats broken. Kazuma needs to make some type of consession for this re-occuring manufacture defect. If they don't then evryone one this site and abroad needs to work together and form a complaint to the BBB to get this company repremanded. Something can be done, either a new tank, discounted tank, repair check or a local dealer warranty repair facility. Also has any of the repair attemps worked. JB Weld or the silicone sealant or plastic weld. Please respond. Thanks.

4th of Dec, 2008

Same problem, I have two of the 50cc atv's and both have broke at the neck.

23rd of Jan, 2009

WOW! -
    I can not believe the amount of complaints~
    Let me add mine to the list.
    I will not pay $80 for a tank with the same problem. I will use a Polimer Filler to fix this as best as possible. I did find that part of the problem is the Fuel Cap.
    The Thread Length on the Spout of the tank is too short, and when the Cap is fully tightend, the stress against the body of the tank causes the seam or joint to split. I would suggest thst once you have made your repairs, you should look at cutting the Cap Length down with s Sander or File.
    Just a thoght from a Manufacturing Engineer.

27th of Feb, 2009

I have come across this Kazuma Meercat (2008 model) in looking for one for my 4 year old child. Now that I have read these reviews I am concerned. My heart goes out to all of you who have suffered with this 'common' manufacturing fault.

The 2008 model is advertised as 'improved' over previous models. I don't know how old the model is, but does anyone know if the above problem has yet been rectified? They seem to be selling at a lower price thats for sure.

We live in Spain now, and unlike the UK there is plenty of space for our child to use a quad bike here. However, I can't find anywhere in Spain that sells them, so I am looking at having one shipped over from the UK. Then talking to an owner of a bike shop here, he said they are prone to many break downs, and no parts availability. Well I find that the case with many things here anyway. I was thinking that if/when parts are required I would mail order them from the UK. That said, I don't know what availability of parts there is anyway.

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give before I decide what to do on reading all of your problems.

Wouldn't it be rare (but great) if the manufacturer did compensate you for their mistakes? I can't believe the price for the replacement tank. Is it gold plated or something, lol.

7th of Apr, 2009

i can't believe all the other 50cc Meercats had the same problem as mine. I thought maybe the cap was loose, until I found a break at the base of the neck. I tried jb weld and superglue, they work for a short period, then it seems the gas fumes eat away at the bonding. Kazuma needs to make this right with all these complaints.

26th of May, 2009

I have the same problem with my grandsons 50cc Meercat.. I also agree with Mr. Jack Cagle in that the cap bottoms out on the tank thus pulling hard on the threaded neck part of the tank. This may be seen as over tightening the cap but the cap actually 'bottoms out' before the sealing surface inside the cap makes contact with the sealing surface of the neck.. Poor engineering or engineering oversight.. The manufacturer should have a recall on this but.. Don't hold your breath..

Dale from PA

• Ka
      20th of Oct, 2009

Grandson recieved the Meerkat 50 for easter when he was 3, Works great but has the same problem as the others, gas tank. When I first started looking for a new tank, they were $130.00. Cheapest price today is $41.95 plus shipping. Better than 2 years ago I guess, still if this is such a big problem, why haven't they done anything about it? His has set in one of my outbuildings for 3 years now. I'm getting ready to order a new tank but will trim the cap. Hope this works.

• Fr
      6th of Nov, 2009

use ABS plastic glue...

don't rest the gas can on the throat of the tank when you're pouring from a 5 gallon can...

if you can't hold 5 gallons, use a 1 gallon gas can or another container to pour from.

add a homemade gasket to the gas cap and don't use a 2 foot cheater bar to tighten the lid!!!

13th of Jan, 2010

i had the same problem with my kids gas tank neck they should have to fix it for free this is my 2 tank and did it again

13th of Jan, 2010

junk tanks the neck cracks

• Kr
      13th of Nov, 2010

Add me to the list. Broken neck, gas on my kids legs...

• Ke
      23rd of Mar, 2011

Yeh the neck is just pushed into the tank so when you tighten the cap it just turns! was this a design fault or were they trying to be helpful so that if the threads were damaged the neck could just be replaced ?
    How do you get in touch with Kazuma?