Kay Jewelers / bad service

Bought an engagement/wedding set and was told they'd be sized and soldered at a later date for no charge. The catch is ONLY if you buy the extended warranty. This was not disclosed when the purchase was made.When we took the set in to be sized and soldered, we were quoted a charge of $85.00. This charge would be eliminated ONLY if we bought the extended warranty for $120.00 This, to me is very deceptive.Why would I need an extended warranty.NEVER again will I patronize Kay Jewelers. I would recommend others also shop elsewhere.

Pr

Comments

• Mo
      1st of Feb, 2009

Yes, it was wrong if they did not tell you that the warranty was needed or there would be a charge for a sizing. But being in the jewelry profession, I disaggree with your point of view. A extended warranty is needed for all repairs caused through normal wear and tear and sizing. It is better to purchase the extended warranty because most companies do offer lifetime coverage. So not only your first sizing but all sizings are completely free. Ring sizings are pretty expensive and you end up saving money in the end.

• Pa
      17th of Mar, 2009

I dropped my engagement ring off to be sized on February 8 and was told that it would be ready for pick-up on the 19th. I was surprised that it took 10 days for a ring to be sized, my sister had her ring sized in 1 hour from another jewelry establishment. When I called to check on the status I was told it would be ready the 19th, although the lady quietly said on the phone, "Oh this hasn't been shipped." When I called back to speak to a manager I was told that it would be ready on the 19th again. On the 19th I was told that there was a problem with the ring sizing and that it would be ready the 20th. When I went to Kay's on the 20th I was told that it had not been shipped and the manager was very rude with my frustration. She told me that it might be ready on the 23rd when the computer print-out read that it would be ready the 25th. Now I am worried as I look at all the complaints from Kay's that I won't get the ring back in the same condition or when the manager said it would be ready. They don't know now when it is going to be ready. I was going to purchase the wedding bands from here but have now changed my mind. I should have received a courtesy call from someone when they realized there was a problem with the ring sizing and it would not be ready the day they said it would be.

2nd of Apr, 2009

Hello to you i'm James Jeweler in Atlanta, Ga and i also have my own jewelry discussions here under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i was reading your complaint and let me first ask you to GO GET YOUR DAMN RING FROM KAYS! it doesn't take 10 days to size a ring! if i were asked to size your ring i could've had your ring sized within 30 minutes to an hour max, and had it shipped the same day back to you.

What you don't know is Kay Jeweler's DOESN'T DO THEIR OWN SIZING OR DIAMOND SETTINGS THEY PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THIS WORK FOR THEM. Do not buy anything else from Kay Jeweler's and if you'd like to contact me feel free to do so, i'm a REAL ONLINE JEWELER who has never had any complaints filed against me here, nor any other complaints site.

You can contact me directly at the info below, and when you're ready for your wedding bands let me know i can send you the links to my WEDDING BAND JEWELRY MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITES so that you can see what they have available, MY JEWELRY MANUFACTURERS DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THE PUBLIC if you like any rings on their sites let me know, then i can contact them to get my cost for them, then i will let you know.

Contact James The Jeweler here or:

Email Address: jamesthejeweler@yahoo.com

Phone: 404-447-5459

James The Jeweler's Jewelry Blog: http://jamesisajeweler.blogspot.com

4th of Apr, 2009

DO NOT BUY ANY "WARRANTIES" AND I'M ALSO A REAL ATLANTA JEWELER! I DON'T OFFER ANY "WARRANTIES" ON ANY JEWELRY I SELL DUE TO THE FACT THAT I DON'T SELL "DEFECTIVE JEWELRY" AS MANY OF THESE FAKE JEWELER'S DO.

I strongly feel a customer should pay as they go when they purchase their jewelry, if your ring needs to be sized, you should pay for that at that time, if anything goes wrong with your jewelry you should pay for it at the time you get it repaired. A "WARRANTY" IS NOTHING BUT A PIECE OF PAPER TO MAKE MORE MONEY OFF OF THE CUSTOMER, AND I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY OTHER JEWELER HERE HAS TO SAY ABOUT MY RESPONSE. What if you never need to use your "WARRANTY" in the next 5 years? will the jeweler REFUND all of the money you paid into this WARRANTY? HELL NO, THEY'RE GOING TO KEEP EVERY DIME!

My customers APPRECIATE my HONESTY & INTEGRITY when it comes to what i do, as well as how i treat them. If you sell QUALITY JEWELRY from the beginning, you'll never need to offer any WARRANTIES to a potential customer.

• Le
      28th of Apr, 2010

I bought the engagement ring in June 2008 from Kay Jewelers in Appleton and in January 2009 we both decided to buy our wedding bands from Kay Jewelers in Wauwatosa at Mayfair Mall. When we bought the wedding bands we were told to wait a month before the wedding and then get the ring squared (to match my euro shank), put together, engraved and sized. In the meantime we moved to the Madison area and so on March 2, 2010, we brought the ring into the East Towne Mall in Madison, Wisconsin. We asked for these adjustments to be made.

On March 14, 2010, we got the rings back. The jewelers had broke the engagement band, that they were not suppose to size (to our knowledge), had off centered the rings when putting them together and had replaced the wedding band with a band that looked nothing like the band we had on the engagement band (they were suppose to match and we paid $500 for this adjustment). A lot of these mistakes we noticed after leaving the store and seeing the ring in the sunlight as the store has very poor lighting. We then came back to Kays and spoke to the store manager (Jeff) who saw the mistakes and stated they would replace both the bands with size 5 bands, put them together, and re-engrave. He also stated jokingly he hopes next time we pick up the rings we dont return with a knife. Obviously, this comment is not appropriate for any customer, especially a customer who had to have their engagement band replaced which previously held sentimental value. He also stated in a non-joking manner that he may not have our rings back to us before our wedding. This comment upset us very much. We brought the ring in a month and half before our wedding. When the mistake was made we should have had priority and been able to get the rings back in a more timely manner. We was so upset by the store managers unprofessionalism that we called March 15, 2010 just to make sure the correct things were going to be done with the ring and that they would not be put together. We declined having the rings put together due to the issues we had. We wanted to be able to see both rings separately and have them put together at a later date. The week of March 15, 2010 we called to voice our concerns about the customer service that we had received and was granted a $50 refund (did not request a refund).

Then March 29, 2010, we went to pick up the rings again. The engagement band was scratched and the engraving on the wedding band was not centered and started from the bottom of the ring and stopped on the top corner of the ring ( in diagonally fashion). So after seeing this in better lightening, we once again returned to the store. They stated that they could fix the engraving and possibly be able to take off the scratch on the engagement band. At this time we did not want them to touch the engagement band fearing that a larger mistake would be made (and would not be able to have the rings ready for our wedding), but did let them fix the engraving. In the meantime we asked a store representative how they would re-engrave the ring, as we was worried that it might thin the band. She stated she did not know this so we called a corporate representative. At that time we had to wait on hold for 8 minutes just to hear from a corporate representative that we would have to ask the store that question and she could not answer that question for us.

On March 31, 2010, we got the wedding band back after calling to see if it was there. No one from the store was able to call to tell us it had returned. When we went to pick it up the engraving was finally done correctly, but we noticed that we could see the notches where they put the new band on and that it had unequally gold distribution (band is really thin in places). We told the representative that we picked up the rings from, that we would not sign the form stating that the work was done to our satisfaction. She stated that if we did not sign it we would not be able to have our bands which needed for my wedding. So being forced we signed the paperwork.

On March 31, 2010 my wife also called Kay corporate office about being charged for an engraving when it had to be done a total of 3 times. This gentleman told her that she was liar after she told him that we have had to drive to Kays six separate times, which I can assure is correct. After being called a liar she was so furious she hung up on this gentleman and decided to call again April 1, 2010. On the morning of April 1, 2010, she called again to explain my story in hopes of a good service recovery. This time that lady said that she could not transfer her to a supervisor that she had to talk to her. Then when she explained my story and stated that we should be refunded at least for the engraving she stated that the store stated that we did not pay for this even though on our receipt it states that we did. She went so far as to say that you do not believe what your customers tell you. Three hours later this woman called my wife back after finding out we did pay for the engraving and gave us a refund.

On April 1, 2010, I called to speak with the Jareds location that had handled the repairs to the rings and asked if these notches are repairable. They explained the process that would be required to fix it. He also stated that a good jeweler would be able to fix it and would not have caused the notches to appear in the first place. He also stated he would be very unhappy with that situation if it happened to him. On April 1, 2010, we went to the Jareds on the west side of Madison. The shop manager stated that the scratch was a seam and that it could not have been a size five band as we was told by the East Towne Kay. The shop manager also stated that she saw the notches on the wedding band. Chris stated that she would be in contact with the DM (district manager) because she wanted to get two new bands and cast them from molds and that when we returned from our wedding that these repairs could be made then.

On April 24, 2010, we started to work on the ring issues once again after returning from our Wedding/Honeymoon in St. Lucia. We called Jareds at 10:30 in the morning and spoke to a representative who said she needed to do some research on our case and get back to us. By 11:00 we still had not heard anything so I called to check on their progress. She stated she would now make us a priority and would back to us. At 11:30 she returned the call and told me that the shop manager will call us when the DM is in store. So nothing had been done and we are still are at the same point we were on April 1, 2010. We then decided since no progress had been made to take the rings to West Towne Kay and have the work done by someone different for peace of mind. The store manager at West Towne Kay is in agreement with us that the wedding band has notches where it was made to a euro shank and has an uneven amount of gold on the sides of the ring, and that the diamonds need to be placed in a new band. He stated that it would take a great goldsmith to salvage the ring. He stated that the seam could be easily fixed without replacing the engagement band.

Unfortunately, when my wife called to speak to him on April 26, 2010, he stated that he would not be able to work on the rings because he was told he could not by corporate and offered her no solutions. He even stated that the refund we were given was our solution ($36), which was never told to us. We rather give back $36 and have the rings fixed. Another note is that he stated that they had so many problems with Jareds in Madison, Wisconsin that their work now goes through another Jareds.

Overall, we still have no solution for the rings and we have exhausted our resources. We are left with a ring that every jeweler we have talked to has said is of very poor quality. If Kay Jewelers had there way, this is the ring my wife would wear for the rest of her life. This ring only reminds my wife and I of the horrible ongoing experience that we are having with Kay Jewelers. This has put a huge damper on our lives as newlyweds, which should be a joyous time. We just want the rings fixed appropriately after they were damaged by the goldsmith. We do not feel that this is too much to ask.

• Li
      30th of Jun, 2010

6 years ago I purchased a watch a a lifetime battery replacement. Since then about once a year the battery goes dead and they have replaced it. Last year I went to the Kay Jewelers in the Middletown NY Mall Galleria. The rude male sales person said he wasn't going to take the watch apart once he saw that it was for free. The other sales person said she would do it and replaced the battery. Well once again I went back today to get the battery replaced and the same rude sales person, male, dark rim glasses and kind of fat said the watch needed to be sent out for service for three weeks cause it was still ticking. I told him the battery is dying and replace it and he refused. Kay Jewelers are the worst at customer satisfaction. Just replace the battery and then if the watch continues to malfunction I will send it for repair. He is obnoxious and rude. Just service your customers.

3rd of May, 2016

Stay away, at least from the store in the International Mall in Miami, they do not do what they promise, 4 days delay and still waiting on the rings, very disappointing, a complete disaster!!! When we finally got the rings, they had to be resized to 5.5, guess what? They did it to 5... Unbelievable. Stall waiting from somebody to say at least sorry?