Katharine Gibbs School / Expensive tuition, promising career that never even landed me a job. Now I owe 35,000 for 9 months of school that got me nowhere.

1 36 cortelyou avenuePiscataway, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 347-245-8012

I attended Katharine Gibbs School in Piscataway, New Jersey in January 06. When I filled out my paperwork upon entrance to the school I was informed that my mother would have to co-sign the $25, 000 loan..proceeding to almost double to $40, 000 with interest, as per Sallie Mae loans...the only loan company this school provided. I signed up to the school for a certificate in Visual Communications, and was told that the school went on for 9 months. After I graduated, top in my class, I was promised a career. I received e-mails from the job recruiter daily, for about a full two weeks. She fowarded postings from several companies throughout the n.y.c. area, dealing with the career I wanted to become involved with. These postings were from craig's list, and local papers, something I could've achieved and did on my own. Meanwhile this whole time the recruiter from Katharine Gibbs had my resume and samples of my artwork on file. After this two weeks went by and I searched for jobs on my own, I tried to contact the school. They never returned my phone calls, or helped me again with a career placement, or even find me a part-time job in my field of choice. No one was even available to speak to at the school, when I decided to drive down there and talk in person. Now the school I attended is closed down. I am currently at a Community College for Marketing, hoping something better comes out of it. In the meantime, I still owe Sallie Mae $40+ for a waste of time and I really do not know where else to turn to. Thank you for whatever help you can advise to me in this situation.

Sincerely,
Dana DiGiulio
36 Cortelyou Avenue, Staten Is., N.Y. 10312
phone: [protected]

Comments

• Su
      17th of Jul, 2011

I was a student from Jan. 2003 to June 2004 at Katherine Gibbs College.
    During that time, I accumulated debt from this school. Recently, I found out that this school closed down, it's no longer Katherine Gibbs. This debt still remains in my credit report. I never received a letter or a phone call stating this occurrence (school closing). I wrote Katherine Gibbs a letter stating that I was unable to pay because the school was closing and I was uninformed of where to send the payments to. Each time that I would call the school, I received no answer. I even went there in person and they never took care of me. I believe I was overcharged tuition. I was told from the school I only owed $4000.00 and they are saying I owe over $7000.00. Because of the fact I was never told about this school closing and changing the payment route, I feel this debt should be removed from my credit report to avoid default. I want to continue my education, but because of this debt, it's very difficult for me to pursue a further education. This has caused physical and mental issues because I want to better myself and this matter is making it hard for me to.

Economic - I am in debt and because of this debt, I cannot afford further education
    Physical - mental stability undetermined.
    2501 Monroe Boulevard