Kaplan University / awful place

After enrolling in Kaplan for my BA in paralegal, I decided to look for them on the web to see if I could find out more about them and I found a lot of bad press. I then called my admissions rep Greg Rounds to voice my concern. He asked where I got my information from and I told him complaintsboard. He then went on to tell me how the people posting to complaintsboard where people who didn't do what they were supposed to do and that they were the ones at fault for their problems at Kaplan. It was as if he was reading from a script. I then said ok and told him that I would investigate the matter further. I found many more sites with the same 'shady' stories about Kaplan.

Yesterday I received an email telling me that my books were being shipped UPS. I then called and Greg Rounds and Lauren Eldridge were not taking calls. I was able to talk to a girl in financial aid. She said that she would make a note on my financial aid that I was not going to be attending and for me to just refuse the books. That would be fine except I am not home during the day because thats when I work and I live in a resort community and all UPS/FED-EX packages requiring signatures are taken to the hotel where they are signed for out of courtesy and packages can be picked up from there. I tried explaining this to the girl, but she acted like I was lying. Any ways I then emailed Greg Rounds and Lauren Eldridge trying to find out why I was being sent books. The only one who replied to my email was Lauren Eldridge and the email she sent back was a joke. It said: 'I assume you are still not planning on attending. Please reject this package when it arrives.Thanks'.

Ok, which part of I want to be un-enrolled wasn't clear. I am beginning to feel as if I signed a contract with the devil. These people are a joke and so is the school. I went to the hotel this morning and asked for them to reject any packages that come for me. I can only hope that my Kaplan experience will be over soon, but I have a feeling there will be more problems.

I would like to thank all of you that took the time to write about your own experience with Kaplan. This kept me from making the same mistake.

He

Comments

• Pa
      23rd of Feb, 2009

I then called back and spoke with Greg Rounds and explained to him that I had found many sites and law suits that involved Kaplan. I then asked him to unenroll me. He asked if I would send him an email stating that I no longer wished to be enrolled in Kaplan and he would take care of the rest. That was on Feb. 5, 2009. I thought it was over and I had gotten away from Kaplan with only losing the application fee of $45.00. Last week I received an email from a Lauren Eldridge about my classes. I forwarded the email that I sent to Greg Rounds about un-enrolling and asked that I be contacted if this had not been done.

• Li
      24th of Feb, 2009

Hate that place I got ripped off too. I was wondering where you found the info on the lawsuits i'd like to find out if I can join in on one if you could email me where to look i'd appreciate it... Lizm877@yahoo.com Thanks

• Ro
      1st of Mar, 2009

Henry, This did not happen to me! The $45.00 I spent went toward my first tuition. I hate to say this but most of what I am reading here is pretty lame.
    Kaplan is a good place, even my books were included in the tuition, and it was not as expensive as where I went before.

So far, I am doing well with my classes and am able to get the help I need. My questions have been answered everytime that I have called my advisor.
    They are friendly and get the answers I ask for.
    THERE was NO application Fee! What are you talking about?/

And by the way, I have googled Kaplan, and haven't found any "shady" stories anywhere.

8th of Apr, 2009

Rosemary, you are just dumb. All you have to do is type in Kaplan University complaints and you get a buttload of information about complaints!!!

• Sh
      11th of May, 2009

yeah i would love too know also!

• Sh
      11th of May, 2009

haha.. Rosemary J.. ive never had a good experience with Kaplan, IVE NEVER LEARNED ANYTHING and when i had questions THEY NEVER HELPED! i don't know whose treating you nice at kaplan. but he person who was over me I NEVER HEARD FROM HER AGAIN..

i couldn't even CONTACT HER and when i did she NEVER ANSWERED THE PHONE..

so i called the school telling them to unroll me also and they told me to do something about my financial aid or something so i did.. later on they still told me they didn't received it im like i just did it days ago later on i get a 2, 000 bill.. they sent half to a lone an the other half they kelp so now they telling me i owe them 500 dollars and i owe the bank 2thousand..

they threaten me saying if i don't pay it then its going on my credit in 30days.. i didn't believe them and didn't care because i didn't have a job at the time they were just trying to get money/

i got a credit check every year and they are NOT on there.. im not paying them squat lol its been 3yrs and still they are calling on the low low acting like someone so i can answer there phone call. they might as well give up. I am now attending a REAL university that is in my city so yeah people should leave Kaplan, Phoenix, etc all those kind of schools alone there not good.. go to your own college in your state they even probably provide online school for you and my school does.