Kaplan College Vista, Ca. Campus / not providing job placement assistance

1 University Drive, Vista, CA, United States Review updated:

I am VERY disappointed with the career services department at Kaplan College Vista Campus. I started working with career services in June even before I finished my externship. I graduated with a 4.0 in August. I have deligently called my rep and went in to the office at the campus. I have done mock interviews and updated my resume as I was instructed to do. The problem is that I have been on 4 interviews since June. Kaplan has not provided the assistance that they promised. The entire reason for my enrolling in their school was because they would help me to find a career job. I have repeatedly called my rep just to hear that he doesn't have anything this week and call back on Monday morning. In the middle of October I started working with the Director of The Career Services Department. She has been worse then the rep. I don't get call backs and I asked if she got my message the past 2 days and she said she didn't check her messages yet. She says she will follow-up with the few places she sent my resume to and call me back. She never does. I have to call her just to be told she hasn't heard anything from anybody. The entire process that I have been going through is ridiculous. It makes no sense how they still have commercials on T.V. telling people to enroll when 75% of my graduating class are unemployed. I believe that they lied about their percentage of students who they have assisted and who have actually been hired in their field of study. The network of my classmates that I keep in touch with are all unemployed. I will be contacting their Corporate Office, The Better Business Bureau, and The District Attorney in San Diego. I cannot begin to pay my student loans back next month if I am unemployed. I cannot feel good about my accomplishments since without a job, I basically have nothing to show for my 9 months of schooling.

Comments

• Si
      6th of Oct, 2011

The Career Services Department have all been replaced in the last few months, with the exception of the Director. First off, they don't do jack for students. They do all these "menial" tasks of mock interviews, resumes, etc., to make it look like they are doing something for the student graduates. Inr eality, they have no idea who to contact. Also, in football, if the whole team sucks, they don't replace the players. They replace the coach! But why is the career dept. still have their director who is obviously incompetent? Word has it is that she has connections wth the powers that be at Kaplan. Anyways, overall, Kaplan College Visa has really nothing to offer. There was one porgram/course in there that I wanted to transfer to but I wasn't allowed. I wanted to transfer to the pharmacy tech department bec. the director of that program was seriously placing his graduates to work and that was noe even his job. But the registrar wouldn't let me transfer! I know for a fact that almost everyone who enrolls at Kaplan Vista pharmacy tech was bec they know tech graduates who are now working due to the direct intervention of their director. Everybody knows that the director was doing more to place his/her students to work than the Career Services. The state should investigate kaplan Vista. What is the real percentage of graduates are actually DIRECTLY placed by the career services? I know too that of those who may be working after their graduation either found a job themselves without help from Career services or due to their externship coordinators, which I betcha the career services dept. and their incomptent director takes credit for. Shame on you, Kaplan Vista for feeding on student's fear of the bad economy and you promise them placement "assistance" and everything under the sun just so you can enroll them! Schools like this should be investigated.

6th of Oct, 2011

The reason I enrolled in the pharmacy tech program was because I met the pharmtech director and he was very knowledgeable and seems to be very enthusiastic. Not only that, based on the students' feedback, the director is actually the reason why the program is thriving. We all love him and his students are really raving about how he inspires and teaches in the classroom. But he left for some reason(s) that Kaplan seems to be flip-flopping. Now, the instructor they replaced him is a big joke. She does not know anything about pahrmacology, pharmacy math, or have no basic teaching skills! We found out that didn't even go to pharmacy school herself. They got another instructor teaching pharmtech certification program and she is not even certified or also did not go to tech school! Since our director left, this program is already a big mess. Most of the students now wants to drop out bec we are not learning anything at all. I am paying $15, 000 to sit in a classroom where my instructor is very sarcastic, and acts like a total gestapo. A totally stark contrast over my former instructor! Now all the students in the white module do not want to take pharmacy anymore. Oh, also, the new extern coordinator does not know where to place the externs!! What a joke! When the former director was here, he always places the students and get them hired too! That's why I enrolled in the program! And I hear a lot of complaints about the Career services, they don't do anything to help place graduates. What I know AS A FACT is that ou former program director was the one placing the tech grads to work, not career services. The best thing that ever happened to Kaplan Vista was our former director and now that he's gone, this school has gone down the dumps. Now, everyone here is really stupid! I am now going to be stuck with a $15, 000 studen loan for nothing and I am now more scared than ever to go into my externship coz I don't know anything. All I know about pharmacy was from when I had our director as the instrucor. When he left, all classroom learning stopped. I know it is hard to replace the likes of him, but why replace him with someone so totally way out of his league?! This only shows what Kaplan really is like!!! 5 negative stars!!

7th of Oct, 2011

New instructors they hired for the pharmacy tech program are not certified. They both have not been to formal tech school. They were only "grandfethered in." And the instructor teaching the pharmacy technician certification course is not even certified herself! What a joke!!

• Wa
      1st of Oct, 2013

If you you are one of the fortunate few to have externed at a hiring site, congratulations, you're in the minority. The rest of us are stuck with a costly education that is useless. Places that are hiring in the medical field are not impressed with a Kaplan education and want 1-2 years experience. I wish I had checked on that prior to their empty promises.