Kampgrounds Of America [KOA] / management

1 Port Huron, MI, United States Review updated:

I have never been treated so rudely in all of my life. Each and every employee at the Port Huron, MI KOA is rude, mean, and disrespectful. Even simple questions are answered with a scowl and judgment. Management and owner are violent bullies who seek out altercations with their patrons. The owner, Howard Stein, actually started a physical altercation with our group during our most recent stay when I questioned his character and customer service relations. To make a long story short, our rented golf cart was confiscated by management because my father-in-law, who rented the golf cart, took his wrist band off because it had become bothersome after being wet at the pool. He kept the wrist band on him to prove he was "of age" to drive but management requested he get a new bracelet. We had no problem complying with the request but we were encountered by management as we were literally about to board the bumper boats with our young children. We promised we would go as soon as we were finished since the golf cart office was on the opposite end of the park and leaving the bumper boats would have caused a melt down by my 5 year old who had been waiting all day to ride. When we left the ride we found the golf cart gone, with my sons shoes and other belongings gone with it. The owner, Howard was sitting in his cart near where we parked waiting for us instead. When we asked him what happened to the cart he mumbled under his breath and could not be understood. He then told us we needed to go to the golf cart rental location. I asked him for a ride since my children had no shoes (since they were in the cart that was taken) and he looked me straight in the eye, pointed at my young child, and said in a very forceful tone, "they can walk". My husband and I both said, "excuse me?" He repeated and insisted that they were perfectly able to make the half mile walk across this massive park barefoot on the hot cement. Never mind the possibility of stepping on glass or other garbage that could have injured him. When we finally arrived at the office, I filed a complaint with the manager, telling him that I did not think it was necessary to be spoken to that way and I did not appreciate his unconcerned attitude toward my children. Howard then walked into the office behind me (he could not drive us to the office, yet he followed us all the way there instead.) He began to argue with me and become nasty in front of my children. Admittedly my husband and father became angry with the way he was speaking to me and voices started to raise. Howard then tried to get into a physics altercation with my father. He pushed past me, placing his hands on me and actually shoving me out of the way. This enraged my father even more. I did not want to see a fight break out, so I stepped in between them. Howard then pushed me into the door jam and stepped on my foot, (which is now severely bruised) as he was trying to force us out of the building. He threatened to kick us out until a group of people standing outside witnesses him place his hands on me. He changed his tune real fast and canceled the sheriff once he was caught being abusive. All this happened in front of my children who were crying and yelling for me the whole time as they were scared. We put it all past us and went about making dinner and trying to enjoy the rest of our evening for the kids. Nothing else occurred, we were quiet, and went to bed. Then, this morning, as I was packing up my camper, Howard decided to come over to our campsite. The day before, I had mentioned to Howard that I was going to make sure I left a lengthy and detailed review on social media about my experience at their park. He did not see me standing there as he asked my dad if I was his daughter who threatened to take our experience to social media. I poked my head up from my chores and said, "yup, that's me." He then proceeded to tell me, "see, I'm like Donal Trump, youcome at me and I'm going to strike back." I swear to god these were his exact words. I looked over his shoulder and realized he had brought three golf carts of management and other workers with him. I realized that Howard was inciting another altercation with us. I asked him what his purpose for coming over to our campground this morning was for. We were packing up to leave, he could have just let us go, but he made a point to come back and resurface the entire situation from yesterday. He was threatening me. That is what he was doing. And he was expecting retaliation so he brought reinforcements. Mind you, my children were sitting there with me again! He told me if I say anything he would sue me for slander. I told him slander is telling untruths about someone for the purpose of defamation one's character. I was not slandering him since I was speaking truth and telling my experiences at his facility. Then, I asked him to leave me and my family alone. He invited us to never come back, but that is not a problem because I will never go back there ever again. Howard and the rest of the staff and management at the Port Huron/Kimball KOA obviously have zero concern for your children or family. They are bullies who are looking for a fight. They were so worried about our golf cart wrist band that they didn't notice the gang of teenagers who hopped the fence into their park illegally or the number of people at the pool with open intoxicates. I feel threatened and abused both verbally and physically. I am also now scared that my children were subject to that type of behavior by a large man toward a young woman. In addition, I am nervous that he going to try and accuse us of leaving our campsite a mess or destroyed. So much so, that I actually took pictures of it before we left to show how neat and tidy we left it. Nobody should have to feel this way, especially while trying to enjoy themselves on a family vacation. All because we were not wearing a paper band. I implore you, if you are considering a stay at this resort, to reconsider. There are plenty of other beautiful places around.

Je
Jun 17, 2018

Comments

• Do
      18th of Jun, 2018

This is appalling.. I have only stayed there once and had no problems but this is outrageous. I hope you contact the KOA organization and make a formal complaint with the sheriff department for that was assault on his part. I vow never to stay there as we don't need or want to stay in a place that has management problems. So sorry for your exasperating experience. I am sharing your Facebook post.

• Pa
      21st of Jun, 2018

@donnalamb08 you only heard one side of the story-your experience was good before, why take the word of someone who might have been in the wrong but won't admit it! Be fair!!!

• Ka
      18th of Jun, 2018

I’ve always had problems there. The people are straight rude and would let me back in one time because I brought my cousin over and picked her up across the street and they wouldn’t let us back in even when I told them my name and cabin and Id and so we tried to sneak back in because they wouldn’t let us get to our cabin and the manager followed us all the way back to our house because he caught us trying to get into OUR cabin

• Ly
      18th of Jun, 2018

I actually worked in the front office in 2015 and I didn't even make it an entire season there. The staff and management at this campground is horrendous and unprofessional to say the least. Almost every weekend the cops were called on some family for "being too loud" after quiet times. Beside forcing the athorities to interrupt many campers nights, the amount of harrassment I, personally, encountered was disgusting. "Fellow" staff members told me that, because I lived on a farm, that I was never going to amount to anything and that all I will be is "A cow [censored] farm girl" and "I might as well go [censored] my cousin because that is all I am good for". I was 18 at the time and I, admittedly, let them walk all over me. One of them was significantly younger than me and she was jumping right in on the action. I just would clock out and go home and try to recouperate for the next day. It got so bad that my "superior" started getting in on these high school like antics.
    I finally ended up quitting without giving my two weeks and let my boss know what was going on and why I would no longer be working there. I showed her every single text that they sent me and what exactly was said and instead of firing the employees involved she actually promoted one to "supervisor". This totally sickened me becuse these kids had no decency and to let one be the face of the office was a poor decision on her part. I left and never looked back and sent a letter to Howard where I told him who was to blame and who was NOT to blame. There were a select few that did not get in on the drama. There were a couple that were actually nice. Howard told me that he didnt appreciate me not putting in my two weeks and that I (an 18 year old) should have been more vocal about the situation.

Instead of handling the situation, like professionals, and getting rid of the employees involved, they completely ignored the situation and pretended like nothing happed.

Also, to top the whole story off, not only were these kids BLATANTLY verbally harrasing me, they also used Port Huron KOA as their source of drug dealing between each other. They would talk about how much they wanted, how much they will charge and when and where to get it out of their car on the company's time.

For a girl fresh out of high school looking for a "fun" summer job, this was not what I planned. So, from my experience, save yourself the money and stress and go to literally any other campground.

18th of Jun, 2018

I do not know you, did you know a tornado ripped through the campground a few years ago? Is it possible that they are strict with wrist bands because there were both death and loss of property? Also, I would have called the police if anyone took any action with physical contact AND I would have left as soon as I packed and not waited! I do not get it, if someone touches you, call the police. Also, why did everyone need to go to get 1 man a plastic bracelet? Again, if touched why did you not call the police? And then leave after you filed a report? I know I said I would have called the police 3 times, because that makes sense if assaulted.

• Co
      18th of Jun, 2018

@Jodi Newingham Wrong campground that one was the 1 off I-69 this is the one further down on Lapeer right off Wadhams.

• Ro
      19th of Jun, 2018

@Jodi Newingham The campground you are referring to is off of I-69 called Fort Trodd and the tornado hit back on June 28, 2010. Killed a 68 year old man and destroyed many campers. The Port Huron KOA is on Lapeer just east of Wadhams road.

22nd of Jun, 2018

@Ron N Mary Hunger Did anyone see Dr. Neil S Greenspan answer this online question? Even Neil Greenspan hates Aaron Greenspan and admits Aaron Greenspan is in love with Facebook owner Mark Zuckerberg

The entire shaker heights ohio hate the Judi Neil Aaron Greenspan. Aaron Greenspan went to the news media and bad mouthed the entire town and pretended to be victims. ( google shaker heights greenspan). THEY MADE PEOPLE IN SHAKER HIGHTS LOOK LIKE SAVAE.Now half the United states population hate AaronGreenspan. Think computer Foundation, high five club, Keene promotions inc and plainsite.org plainsite is using 501c charity to avoid paying taxes. Think computer does not help children at all. Its hurting people because of the personal information in Google search. You caused me no to get a job you mother fu×@ker Aaron J Greenspan nut job . YOU CAUSE ME THOUSAND OF DOLLARS. Aaron weasel Greenspan is crying about the pictures online. You never even met Aaron Swartz nut job. Aaron Greenspan tries to scare you by saying that he will sue you. Nut job is banned from suing anyone.

• Na
      18th of Jun, 2018

We stayed there once a few yrs ago and would never go back. We are now outdoor adventures members and camp at their facilities most of the time. I do like how KOA offers the resort feel though... we love Emmett KOA. Hands down our favorite. Hopefully your next camping trip will be more fun! Best wishes!

• Md
    Best Best Advice +9 Votes

I'll send a copy of this to our USA Motorcoach. 1, 300 Members in Michigan alone.
    We see the name Howard Stein, owner

MDC Nashville

19th of Jun, 2018

This is nothing new OR out of the ordinary. The owner who rides around stalking campers on his golf cart has ALWAYS been obscene, rude, inconsiderate, distasteful, and severely lacking in proper customer service and professionalism!!! Place is not only a rip off but very uncomfortable to vacation at. Surprised anyone still stays in that [censored] hole.

• Dc
      19th of Jun, 2018

I worked at this campground for six years and was a manager for 4 years. He is out to squeeze as much money as he can from the place. I have seen on multiple occasions where he is the rude and disrespectful to customer to create more of a problem just to show his authority and kick them out. He would yell and scream for no reason over the smallest issue to get the customer to react then would call the cops and kick them out. There are cameras all over the park so if this altercation happened in the “sports court” and sawmill area then there is 95% chance it was recorded.

He would threaten the managers to be on there best behavior when the KOA inspectors would come.

He used to leave for the summer to his ranch out west and everything would be good, then the moment he would come back problems would start. He would patrol around the camp ground on his golf cart or in his Jeep and just look for issues. That place has taught me a lot and the number one thing I learned from there was how not to treat people.

• Ks
      19th of Jun, 2018

We have gone here for several years and only live about 8 miles from this location. So we don't have to go here we have 8 acres ourselves with a pond, pool, orv trails, and bathrooms in our house lol. There are a large group of us that "chose" to go here. NEVER AGAIN!! He is absolutely a BULLY and very rude to his patrons. He needs to retire and keep his grumpy butt home on his sprawling estate down the road from me. He has young kids working for him that have no idea on how to calm a situation and they are like his little minions running around. I think they are scared of him. I have to say if he would have put his hands on me that would not have ended well. I even called the 800 number to complain several times and got no where...we will never be back...

19th of Jun, 2018

This is all lies. The security footage shows your baby daddy shoving Howard, you guys having open intoxicating drinks in the cart and all the warnings you got. Howard wasn’t even there that morning you left and the employees that supposedly came to your campground we’re not on it there were working and going to other places as the security footage shows. It says in the piece of paper you sign that they can take your cart if you violate the rules WHICH YOU DID. And it shows you three adults going crazy on the staff and being rude and belligerent to them. And your children and nowhere to be seen on the securely cameras. That’s right. CAMERAS AS IN MORE THAN ONE. So to all you people reading this SHE IS LYING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED SHES JUST MAD BECAUSE THEY WERENT FOLLOWING THE RULES AND GOT PUNISHED

• Er
      21st of Jun, 2018

@truthfinder88 This comment Is another example of how horrible that place is. Instead of trying to make things better you go on a very unprofessional rant. Unbelievable!!

• Su
      20th of Jun, 2018

Is everyone else lying too? There are multiple reports of this type of behavior from not only the management but the staff. Disappointing. KOA should hear about this.

20th of Jun, 2018

@Sunegsuneg I meant her post. Not the comments.

• Se
      20th of Jun, 2018

Right?! Look at all the times this post has been shared and see the bad experiences there as well. Looks like this place is going to shut.

• Te
      20th of Jun, 2018

We have been camping at the KOA In Burlington, Washington for years until recently 2 years ago I believe, the former owners sold their KOA to new owners. We have NEVER been more than shocked at their rules and uncomfortable stay. We brought our own firewood and they immediately told us that were were NOT allowed to bring firewood and if we wanted a fire we would have the BUY theirs. Who can afford that!? What is wrong with bringing our own firewood. We have always been fire careful and watch our fire till it goes to ashes.

We used to set up a tent on our grassy RV site and that was a lot of fun because we have a big family. Now... that is NOT allowed. There is only about 10 tent sites (I believe).

Trust me... don't think to go there unless you don't mind the rules.

One of the works kept passing us almost all the time and looking at our site and of course other too. I mean about 10 to 20 times a day. Come on!

We just do NOT feel comfortable going there anymore. It's sad because our kids grew up going there every year and now that I'm going to be a first time grandma... I can't even share that camping place with him. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

The former owners by the name of Connie and her parents and husband ran the KOA and they were absolution exceptional, friendly, relaxed and unbelieveable people. We laoved them

• Cb
      20th of Jun, 2018

We were there last year and experienced the same situation with Howard. Very confrontational!! Violently yelling at us and our children... I honestly can’t believe a person like that can own what is supposed to be a family vacation location..

• Va
      22nd of Jun, 2018

we used to go there alot with our kids, then troublesome campers from the south (detroit) started going there and causing problems, being loud, swearing, disrespectful of others, ect...havent been there in years, but never had a problem with the staff. i give them 4 stars for when we were there, not five because of the class of campers that show up.