Just Energy / fruadulate selling

Guelph, ON, Canada Review updated:

I had very aggressive door-to door sales people and relentless phone calls from Just Energy claiming that I signed a five-year contract with them which I do not. How do I make sure they haven't forged my signature ? and how do I get them to stop harrassing me? M.Leighton

Comments

• Vi
      6th of Apr, 2010

Start by going to this website, it contains alot of information on this company that is useful http://www.keyframe5.com/just-energy-why-you-should-not-do-business-with-this-company/
    They have been charged in the past under a different company name for forging signatures. Then look up the Ontario Energy Code of Conduct, where it states that they are not allowed to harass you in any way or put any undue pressure on you to sign a contract.
    Then you have to send a registered or faxed letter to their President or VP stating that you are being harassed and by whom, name, date etc. and that you have not signed any contract with them. Refer to the Code of Conduct in the letter.
    And ask them to confirm this with you by a certain date or you will register a complaint with Hydro One and the Better Business Bureau. That should do it.
    I am just going through the same thing for a relative who was coerced into signing an agreement, I am drafting the letter now.
    It is terrible what they are doing to people! I have been on the internet digging up past information on them for 2 days now. They have changed their name in the past year because they were charged numerous times for harassing customers, forging signatures etc., etc.
    If you need any more information please post and I will try to help. I am not a professional but this is really ticking me off!

20th of May, 2010

Please let us know how this goes. I regrettably signed a contract with them In December. The salesman would not take no for an answer. Each time I said no, he'd tell me something that made it sound like it was a big mistake if I did not sign up with them. He told me, I'd get a refund with my income tax which I found out to be totally untrue. He did not tell me about the $100 charge if I cancelled. I was told my bill would be low. Well!!! I received my first bill from them a week or so ago and it is more than I've ever paid before plus there are charges on there, i know not what for. For instance..Provincial Benefit, this was never mentioned...R.P.P. settlement, what's this??? I'm on disability, I can't afford to pay $100 to cancel. I now wish I'd never answered the door!!!

Linda Pachal

20th of May, 2010

OOPS!
    tHE SALESMAN did not tell me about the $100 cancellation fee until after I had signed the contract. (forgot to add that last little bit.

21st of May, 2010

Good news for me!!! I sent an email to the customer service department yesterday, threatening that I'd report them to BBB because their salesperson was very misleading, promising me my bill would be much lower, I'd get a tax refund back, did not tell me until after I signed the contract that I'd have to pay $100 if I cancelled b4 the 5 years was up and that he would not take no for an answer.I also gave the guys name and contract #. Well I received an email back today that my contract would be cancelled, I would not have to pay the $100. It'll take about a month to come into effect but I am happy with the results. Let's just hope I have no further problems with them.

21st of May, 2010

Good for you! Now please ask them to verify your conversation in writing and give you a cancellation #. Or did you already do that?
    When they have given you that info, then send them another e-mail and tell them that you expect to see a credit for the difference that it cost you from month to month for switching to Just Energy.
    I don't know if they will do it or not but it's worth the effort!
    Good luck, these people are so pushy and that is what they do, they prey on people and push them. In the end you are doubting your own decisions which makes you give in to them! Mind games! Which is why we should push back and you have just proven that it works!

• Ge
      26th of May, 2010

JustEnergy reps came to our door step too but right from the start we felt suspicious about it. the free gift card for 50 bucks made it even so. Then he started with explaining how much we would be saving by signing. Long story short ive signed the papers. As soon as they left we typed justenergy into google and right away it popped up as justenergy scam. Luckily only 5 min passed by so we went after their repesentitive with my doberman and took the papers back from him. Once i had the papers he kept trying to reach for it and i would just put them behing my back.
    I hope thats enough for this contract to have an early cancelation :)

31st of May, 2010

That is awesome! I would have loved to see that person hopping around your Doberman! Thanks for the Internet!!! There are some things that we just wouldn't ever find out about if we couldn't "google it"...

I'm sure there are lots of legit companies out there, so maybe some people could comment on that.

• Sp
      3rd of Sep, 2010

I am in Texas. We had a Just Energy independent rep come to our door Wednesday. I wasn't home so they talked to my husband. He ended up signing a four year contract. When he told me, I googled Just Energy and saw a lot of negative feedback so I just cancelled today (within the 3 days allowed by law). I was on my way home from work that same day and saw one of the reps in the street. I stopped and asked him if he was the one that signed up my address. He said no, but it was one of his employees. I told him I had questions about the contract and I wanted someone to come to my house that evening before they left the area to sit down with ME and go over the contract my husband signed. He said someone would be by in 30 minutes. Of course that didn't happen and haven't heard a word from them since. They knew I would probably ask for the signed contract back and they wouldn't get their cut. That speaks a lot right there.

All I did was call their 800 number and cancelled over the phone. But, I am also going to be scanning and emailing my cancellation form on the back of the contract and mailing it just to make sure I cover my [censor]. They were very nice over the phone and didn't give me a hard time about cancelling. They might be an okay company to do business with but I am not taking the chance.

I think 4-5 years is too long for a contract anyway. When I called them, they did offer to change the terms to something shorter - 2 years. I still said no.

• Do
      26th of Oct, 2010

Pushy Sales people. He didnt even ask me if it was a good time to talk. He also had a glance at my boob in the interview.

• Im
      14th of Feb, 2011

Just because you're all PMS-y and rude customers is no reason to lead false accusations. Any company has it's "sketchy" moments, but you all seem to trust them. Little do you know, every company you deal with has the power to take your credit/debit information with a simple sniffer program and steal ALL your money. It happened to me at friggin' WINNERS, for Christ's sake! So yes, you've had communications problems with Just Energy, but that's just as much your fault as it is theirs. If you were at the least bit suspicious of the company, you say no. It's that simple. Or if you're not entirely sure, go and research the company from RESPECTED and NON-BIASED reviewers. Never trust the review of a disgruntled customer, because they will exaggerate the so called "problem", and never touch on the GOOD aspects of the company. And YES, they are PUSHY. But, don't be rude. Just close the door, and forget they even showed up. It's not their fault, it's their job. If they don't sell, they don't make money. And if they went out of business, there would be an amazing skyrocket in the homeless population. So, shut up, and go get pregnant or something to preoccupy your time, you nasty complainers.

14th of Jun, 2011

My, it sounds like you are the one that is all PMS-y... and quite likely knocked up... Believe me, I have researched this company inside, out.. And I am trying to help unsuspecting people make an informed decision before they sign a contract with them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can do their own research. This site is here for a purpose and that is to write your opinion.
    So, why don't you just go back to doing whatever it was you were doing and keep your rude and ignorant comments to yourself.