Just Electric and Plumbing American Plumbing & Electric Co / Fraudulant charges to customers/ripoff

1 Irvine, CA, United States Review updated:

I called Just Electric & Plumbing via a yellow pages coupon for a water heater repair. I told them the problem over the phone, Pilot light not staying on. The technician didn't even check the unit for a problem when he arrived. He looked at a chart then told me it would be 500.00 to fix. I complained that that was to high he asked me how much I wanted to pay. When I told him I would not pay that much. He wanted $70 for doing nothing, then said they would lein our house for the service fee. I asked him to leave...The company called me at 11:13PM at night five minutes after I requested Gary, the Technician, to leave. Damion from a farm call center [protected] then threated me and said they would put a lein on my house for services not rendered. I ask them not to call my house again.

Comments

Al
  6th of Jan, 2009

Well, it is a typical situation.
You should get at least 3 estimate for a job before you hire someone.
Other important issues are references, qualifications, license issues and most important of all, when you are calling someone for a job ask him if he will at least make an inspection and diagnostics for the visit money.Then you will get a certain service for the service call money.
If the price is given after the inspection is done it will be a realistic estimate.
At least you will know what are you paying for.
Lien can not be placed on your property if you do not have signed contract authorizing them to proceed with works, and especially if no works is done.
However verbal agreement to pay service call fee for sending out a technician may also be true, even if you agreed over the phone.
Next time you may consider hiring someone who will do works for more affordable prices. Its a competitive industry and you may always find prices that are less, or more. Be fair both ways. Value people's time and your money.
For 22 years that I am servicing Southern California I have heard many similar stories and always I tell my clients to be fair and selective.