Just Brakes / royal ripoff - stay clear: A MUST READ

1 Kissimmee, FL, United States Review updated:

This complaint has two parts, so bear with me and read on.

Being in the same shoes as all other penny pinchers (especially with the tough economy now), i had the misfortune of taking in my vehicle to Just Brakes, because i heard a slight vibration in my rear brakes when applying them. Mind you, I have a 2002 Accord with all four disc brakes, and the disc rotors are actually bolted to avoid unnecessary chatter upon braking. Car stopped fine and straight, brake pads had 80% life left on them (from the past brake job), and I knew that all i needed was machining the rotors to make them even. Comparing the price for rotor machining in the area, it came to around $80 to machine all four, plus the labor to install them (@$100). So, being a good samaritan to my pocket, here I end up at Just brakes. The same old rehearsed spiel from them, yadi yadi yada, $99.99 and I would be all set. Well, they open everything up, and suddenly, my master cylinder is gone, i need new calipers and brake lines, my caliper is busted, and all in all, it was going to be a $1989 and some change to finish all the work . Right? all this while I had NO squishiness on my brake pedals (disproving master cylinder failure), Car stopped fine with the slightest brake touch (which disproves their theory of the master cylinder failure), stopped straight (disproving that my calipers were bad), and upon putting the car on the ramp and applying the brakes, all four wheels stopped at the same time (disproving i needed new brake lines). Anyhow, since the car was old, i decided to have the master cylinder replaced regardless. They wanted to charge me $160 for a refurbished one. GUESS WHAT? i called the Honda dealer in my area and got it for $98. Told them where to stick the rest of the repair work, and to just machine my rotors and reinstall them. Well, they had a huge problem with that, and guess they thought that might as well get my money while they can, and i paid them a total of $188 for the labor to put in the master cylinder, and the regular brake job. Well, so far the total ran to approx. $300 (with the price of the new cylinder). Well, to this day, TWO YEARS LATER, the car still has no problems. Blame that on faulty calipers, master cylinders and brake lines. HEAR THAT JUST BRAKES? not only that, I have had to stop hard many many many times since then, and no problems still.
Okay, SO, recentlygot a good price on a brand new 2008 model year accord. Being it july 2009, dealership wanted to get rid of the previous year vehicle (i know, i am a stickler for honda's...but thats just me). Anyways, I drove the vehicle in the rain and slush for a few days, and had a few kids in the car eating while i took them for a drive, just so that it would look a little bit older. And THEN, i decide to go to Just Brakes at the same location. Just to try them out. Now, this is on a three day old brand new vehicle from the factory. Apparently, i was able to take out the fuse for the whole instrument cluster, so the mileage did not show. Well, guess what people? They wanted $788 for all that was wrong with the brakes. I needed new discs, more brake lines, and two calipers for the back. Of course, i refused everything, and was given the spiel how dangerous it would be for me to drive the car out of their lot. They tried playing on my wife's sympathies who was there with me, who had a hard time keeping a straight face and tried so hard not to laugh. UNTIL, we showed them the invoice for the purchase of the car, and their faces were PRICELESS. But then, they had the nerve to tell us how brakes on new cars cannot be trusted because all work is done by ROBOTS? And that is despite the fact that NONE and i repeat NONE of the 15 or so odd customers that came in for the brakes had a bill lower than $250. NONE.
Well, the decision is all yours now my friends. My only problem is that it was a spur of the moment thing with our spare time, and neither me nor my wife thought of recording it on film until after the fact.

Comments

• Za
      9th of Feb, 2010

You are so right I just went there today and they said that your brakes would be 99.00 and then the guy comes in and says that you hydrylics were leaking and that it needed to be fixed. I went from 99.00 to 600.00 dollars. My fatherinlaw knows about how to fix cars and he said thats out rages and the saleman still wanted me to do the brakes. I said no. I could do everything that they said had to be done for maybe a 100.00 to 150.00 with my fatherinlaws help.

• Oh
      29th of Jun, 2010

I recently filed a police report against Just Brakes. Just Brakes inspected my brakes and told me I needed to overhaul my 2008 brake system and unscrewed my brake line, causing me to lose all brake fluid and braking ability. An independent mechanic found the tampering just in time...I was due to drive the car to Ohio the same day the tampering was found. I am now seeking full legal recourse and am posting my story to the local news stations to expose them and perhaps save a life.

20th of Feb, 2011

Gosh, I should have read the complaints about Just Brakes before waisting an afternoon over there. Fortunately for me, I smelled something fishy and got out of there without being ripped off. Here's my story. Just as the above comments, my brakes were aging on my 2004 PT Cruiser, and I wanted to save some money on the brake job. Their $99.98 price tag for changing pads on all fours was a good price, so I took it in to them. I have a brother who knows how to do simple auto repairs, like brakes, but since his wife is in a difficult pregancy expecting twins, I didn't want to burden him with helping me with my brakes. Anyway, when just brakes told me that my calipers in the front two wheels needed to be replaced as well as the rotors, right axle boot and bleeding the system for over $800, I figured it was time to call my brother. I asked him if the prices were fair; he told me to get out of there as quick as possible and get over to his place. It turns out that the calipers and rotors were fine. As it turns out, for about &70 in parts I was all set to go. As it turns out, this place was going to charge me almost twice of what it would cost to get the parts, if they were bad, from a parts store. They use scare tactics to try and convince you to get the job done. Had it been that I didn't know someone who does brakes, I might have fallen for their scam. I'm posting this to warn others of this company that has no intention of letting you get out of there for the $99.98 advertised brake job.

• Wo
      13th of Jul, 2011

I went to a shopping center to get a good steak. This store wanted $20.00 for there steak. I thought about it and went to a different store to check on a price difference. This store wanted $25.00 for there's. I finally went a third store and they had a price I could more easily afford at $15.00. Moral to the story is different places have different pricing. Same applies to the automotive industry. I would also like to point out when someone intentionally disables there vehicle and tries to see if they are proving a point it is needless to say that you will bring an unwanted and un-needed headache for themselves. Cars do have failures and different shops take care of them in sometimes different manners and for different prices. The advertised price is for a certain service, there is noway to know what someone's car is doing wrong especially over the phone. They offer a free brake inspection to see just what a vehicle is doing wrong. Some repairs are necessary in order for a braking system to function properly. These services that need to be performed have there own separate pricing. If everyone will open their minds to how a braking system actually works you just might understand what is involved with repairing the system. Forget about the way brakes have been done in the past, brakes have evolved just as the rest of the car has evolved and repairs are not the same as they once were. Materials change and so do designs and the repairs will have to change in order to address the problem correctly. So for everyone who is reading this and wonders about the integrity of the repairs to their vehicles give Just Brakes a try. And remember it's your car and you can take it where you choose. The problems with your car are just that, your problems. Do you want the brake system to last two years or five years? The choice is yours. Take it to your uncle or take it to the professionals. Despite what you have read in previous posts Just Brakes really does care.

• To
      6th of May, 2013

Im here right now in the Kissimmee store and the tried ripping me off for 800.00 when the Chevy dealear said all I needed wss my rotors cut but they didn't have the time to do it today.

29th of Aug, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to serving you.

• Fr
    Just Brakes - complement
    Personal Note
    Atlanta

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: Corey Blevins
    4805 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083.

I wanted to take a moment and recognize outstanding customer service. I contacted
    Just Brakes to inquire about having my brakes fixed. Corey Blevins answered the
    phone and invited me in. His invitation was so cheerful and enthusiastic that
    I wondered who the world this guy was is. Upon arriving at the store Corey assisted me
    very cheerfully and thoroughly. It has been a very long time since I have met someone who appears to be so happy at his job. The customer service was outstanding
    but Corey’s attitude is what made all the difference in the world. Just Brakes is very fortunate to have Corey on their staff. He is certainly a cut above the rest.

Again thanks and my deepest regards,

Francine Harmon
    Executive Assistant/Benefits Coordinator
    Drug Transport, Inc.
    Direct: 678-987-2218
    Fax: 404-795-9072
    Cell: 678-296-5818
    fharmon@drugtransport.

7th of Jun, 2016

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, Francine! We strive to make sure all of our customers re as satisfied as you!

• Va
    Just Brakes - Total fraud
    Just Brakes
    13800 IH 35
    Austin
    Texas
    Phone: 512-251-1288
    justbrakes.com

Went to the Just Brakes today to ask about a simple worn pad change. They said it would fall under their $99.88 deal, but as they took the car in the manager stated that the pads would have to be specially ordered from the dealer and that my total went from $99.88 to over $240.00. Of course, I said no way and had called the local Autozone to see if they carried them.

BTW, Autozone does have my Infinity brake pads for $22.99.

Don't ever go to Just Brakes unless you enjoy being ripped off.

• Bo
      7th of Jun, 2016

They told me the same thing and put on some crappy pads that wore out in 3 months. I bought mine at Auto Zone and did it myself and they lasted for over 2 years (60000 miles). The pads were $18.00 too and not the $80 they charged me for the cheap pads that wear out quickly within 8000 miles. JUST FAKES is what this place is so BEWARE!

7th of Jun, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to resolving your concern and serving you the Just Brakes way in the future.

3rd of Aug, 2016

was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. We understand that you have questions and concerns about what you believe the business practices of Just Brakes to be. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to speaking you.

• Ke
      3rd of Aug, 2016
    Just Brakes - Reporting this in the hopes it will prevent other's from being a victim of Just Brakes
    Just Brakes

Reporting this in the hopes it will prevent other's from being a victim of Just Brakes. I am not a victim, but have been in the social situations of employees, namely the managers/qualified inspectors. The manager/qualified inspector's salery is based on a percentage of the daily/weekly/monthly tote. To make their paycheck they must convince you to add monetarily to your brake job. This is accomplished in the highest regard of salesmanship. 1. Owners of Volvos. You are THE #1 target. 2. Owners of Fords, most notably any Ford SUV, you are the #2 target. The Ford Focus, while not an SUV, is a target of disdain. 3. Women. While it may appear as if you are being treated equally, you are not, and you will be held in judgement by the vehicle you drive. 4. Just Brake's waiting room is purposely cramped and unpleasant. The store's locations are strategically placed within easy walking distance of restaurants and shopping centers. 5. Any consumer can enter the work area and watch the work being done on their vehicle, this is never noted or offered. 6. The technicians that perform the work DO NOT receive any monetary perks from upgrades. They are paid at an hourly rate. HOWEVER, if upgrades or parts as needed should cause overtime, this would be their monetary plus. NOTE #7 BELOW: 7. Added UPGRADED parts to a work order are always within reach. It is the job of the manager or qualified inspector to do a call around to neighboring stores and gain parts not in stock. It is quite possible, in the event and highly unlikely, that this part is not in stock at neighboring Just Brakes location The part needed may be purchased by management over the counter at any auto parts store. 8. The TEST DRIVE for safety at the end. I personally viewed the 'test drive'. Your vehicle is being driven with reckless abandon, zero respect. 9. This is the toughest of all. Please read as 'Race/Gender Bias'. I will leave this unsaid, as it speaks volumes. 10. Technicians. This too is tough. You are mocked and belittled by management, yet fulfilling the work order and executing the job. These 10 points of Just Brakes are simply to provide you, the consumer with a general point of overall reference. I have purposely kept this report short and neat as I am not a victim, simply an insider. I hope this speaks volumes larger than dollars and cents.