Juniper Bank/barclays Bank / Unjust, should be illegal practices

1 Wilmington, DE, United States Review updated:

I got a Juniper card when I bought a G4 from apple in Oct 2005.

The cost was $1175. 3 years later - without ever having bought anything with the card, Juniper tell me I still owe them $1300 after paying more than $30 per month consistently for almost 3 years.

This company

* hikes up the interest rate without permission so your monthly payment is more
* does not post a payment to your account immediately waiting until after the due date and then slaps on a $39 late fee followed bya $29 over account limit fee
* the board REFUSE any registered form of communication which would prove receipt
* no one on the general number has any ability to do anything

This bank is operating (if is within the law) it should be illegal.

I have surfed the net and found hundreds of similar stories.

LET'S GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING PEOPLE!!!

Comments

19th of Aug, 2008

I totally agree. They are a rip off and should be reported to the federal and banking regulators.
    I'm sure there are many others that have had unjust billing experiences.

They are taking advantage of the people with not so perfect credit.
    There is no live customer service to question these unheard of charges.
    Their banking and business practice seriously need to be challenged and
    accounted for.

• De
      4th of Oct, 2008

I really regret accepting this juniper credit card. I started with a low interest rate and been paying the monthly until one time I missed one. They hiked up my interest rate really high. I was so mad! Then one time, I make my payments online and set a payment 3 day a due date and one time they said it was unsuficient fund? and they slap with a late $39.00 late feeand my interest went up again. How can I be late? It says that I make a payment 3 days before the date!! Now its like 28.89% or something. It's ridiculous. Now I'm just gonna try to close my account as soon as possible and get away from this scammers. And even then, i read somewhere that even if its close, they will still find a way to get a dime from you. Just be very careful with Juniper. I don't even know what do to with them and it's not right. If any one other there have a better advice, please let me know. I work really hard for my money and seems like they are stealing it away from me.

• Ka
      27th of Oct, 2008

i totally agree with you. they call our home over and over with some of the most bogus offers. they now think they need to call your home to remind you of your due date for your payment. it is amazing that they have all this free time to harass you when you pay your bill every month. i too had a $1500 balance with them and they are paid every month and yet with their yearly fee and interest my balance has not gone down. so we have closed our account with them and they still call and hang up over and over. once we have them totally paid for i hope we never have to do business with them again.
    this company needs a class action law suit and they need turned over to the better business bureau for how they operate.b8bc2

• Ri
      22nd of Nov, 2008

I totally agree with you all! Every month, Juniper gave me a headache on my statement. Without my authorization, they signed me up for advantage protection service and VIP card upgrade for $49.00. Also, they are holding my payment so that they can charge me late fee and get a good excuse to jump my rate to 14.99% to 19.99%. After three times attempts (because the rep kept hanging up on me), I got a supervisor on a lime. He said "you have to mail about 2 weeks prior to your due date" Last month, it took only 5 days to get the payment cleared and the previous month it took 6 days. I wish and hope someone reads this and that a class action lawsuit is in the making will jump on that van wagon so fast, these people are ripping customers off and getting away with it. 509-535-4547 Richard Harris

• Pj
      26th of Dec, 2008

Looks like Juniper-Barclays Bank has a Rip-Off Reputation.

I signed an agreement with Barclays Bank for a Juniper credit card with a specific credit limit. I had it for 6 months, and intended only to use it when I needed it.
    So, when I needed it, I used it, but I did not max out the card. I only used 1/3 of the limit.

So Juniper/Barclays decides to "lower" my credit limit to less than the balance I had just used. So basically, I am now $45 over the new limit! And oddly, my Dec statement still shows my original credit limit (not the new lowered limit). But they emailed me to inform me that I am "over" my limit!

I called them and explained that when I signed with them, my limit was a specific amount; I am a customer in good standing; I have not abused the credit card; but they chose to lower the limit to less than I had charged! I said I wanted my original credit limit put back on the card!

I also let them know that if they dare charge me an "over-the-limit" fee that I won't be paying anything on the card, and they can just deal with my attorney.

But they said they reserve the right to lower the limit. On a customer who has not abused the card? Yes, because I didn't "use" the card! How absurd is that!

So apparently, it seems to me (IMO) that Juniper/Barclays would prefer customers who "abuse" the card, max it out, and then don't pay, so Barclays can spend hundreds of dollars trying to get the balance of the card, opposed to a customer who does "not" abuse the card and only uses it when necessary, and pays on time! I guess I should have "abused" the card! That seems (IMO) to be the only type of customer they prefer!

So IMO, and from my experience, I recommend you do NOT get a Juniper/Barclays card. Sure, all credit cards are a rip, but it's worse when they "punish" a good customer for "being" a good customer. And I just want to warn the public. There are enough legit and professional companies out there without using ones who rip you off!
    /URL removed/?q1=ALL&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=JUNIPER&q6=&q7=&submit2=Search%21Juniper%20Bank
    /URL removed/

7th of Mar, 2009

I have had their credit card for 60 days. The first month they charged me an over the limit fee of $39 for going over by $.20. I called, yelled, argued, they weren't budging on that fee. So, I went ahead and made a payment bringing my balance $20 below the limit. Right after I made my payment, they charged me another over the limit fee and I WAS NOT OVER THE LIMIT at that point.

I immediately canceled the card and I told the woman on the phone that if I get charged another over the limit fee, I will not pay the credit card at all. Can't hurt me any more than closing the account can.

Their customer service is horrible. These people can clearly understand you and they are trained to repeat the same sentence over and over and over again without answering your question. This bank practices unethical business and should be shut down.

7th of Mar, 2009

I have decided for every time they call me with their stupid recording 20 days before my due date, I am going to flood their mailbox with my complaint.

• Mi
      14th of Mar, 2009

Juniper is nothing more than another Credit card company after blood. They sucker you in with promises of a low rate, the after being a good customer, not missing any payments, they will find a reason to increase your rate. They are just as unnethical as Capital One, Bank of America and HSBC. The government is toolazy to stop this abuse by the dredit card companies.

18th of Mar, 2009

I have had a similar experience with Juniper. Introductory interest rate of 8.99%...all is well for several years...I making all payments on time, early or complete payoff. One time in January 09 I am 2 days late with TWO payments, and Juniper jacks my interest rate to 26.99% (!!!), and charges me a 39.00 late fee. I have a balance on this card that I will pay off in 1-2 months, then I will never do business with them again. I will then spend a good deal of my time crusading on message boards about the illegal and unethical practices of Juniper/Barclays. I will do as I told them - I will cost them many times more money than they have extracted from me through the power of the Internet. Join me in spreading the word about Juniper's illegal and unethical business practices and help me FIRE BARCLAYS/JUNIPER.

GOOD RIDDANCE Juniper/Barclays.

• Ty
      20th of Mar, 2009

I received a form letter stating effective April 1, 2009 my 8.99% APR was being raised 67% to 14.99%. I have NO late payments, Never over the limit, no cash advances, been a perfect customer. When I asked why, they told me QUOTE" we are tightening our policies".
    I am outraged! President Obama is bailing out these banks, and they are now DOUBLE DIPPING, getting our tax dollars from the bail out and raping good credit worthy customers by raising interest rates for NO REASON!

• Xg
      27th of May, 2009

I just had the same experience. They sent a letter in March saying they were raising my rate from 11.40 to 17.99% eff May 1st. I just talked with Customer Service and they hung up on me. I don't understand why they would raise a rate on good customers that always pay 2 weeks before the due date, never has used more than half of the limit, never uses cash advances and always pays at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the balance every month. I was told I would need to write a letter directly to the bank. I was also told I was eligible for a limit increase. So what? If I ever use the card, I would pay it off in full and they will NEVER make any money off of me again!.

• Cc
      28th of May, 2009

Same story, I have had my card for several years, typically carry a low balance. Went on vacation and inadvertenly went over my limit by $1, seriously $1. I realized it as soon as I got back home so I sent in a payment for $100 just 2 days later. When the statememt comes out I get charged a 39 over limit fee. I called to complain because I am a good customer, never gone over, always pay on time, carry a low balance. They don't care, told me it was a legitimate charge, fine I decide I won't use the card anymore. This month I open my statement, they raised my interest rate from 8.9% to 27.24% because I violated the terms of the agreement by going over my limit. $1 over and they raised the interest rate 300%, doesn't seem legal to me at all. Closed my account today and will pay them off right away, wish I had never received the card now.

• Tr
      13th of Jun, 2009

Same story here...8.99% interest rate with no late payments, and today my statement reads 24% intrest rate on this statement! Yikes...I guess they have the "right" to do this or anything else they see fit, but I do not appreciate the other complaints of poor customer service. They will be getting bad reviews, paid off and the card is cut up!!!

17th of Jun, 2009

I have already filed a complaint and I am sending letters to Senator Charles Schummer of NY state. Something has to be done with this bank. I have had credit cards all my adult life. There have been times when I have had to deal with them during down times, etc. and this Juniper Bank ranks as the only bank I have ever had problems with. They rate a big fat F. I am again sending another letter to my senator. What happened to Credit card reform. These guys are the most frustrating because you cannot get anyone to talk to. Customer Service is awful and will NOT work with you. Everything you send them or try to talk to them about falls on deaf ears and they refuse to work with you. We all need to gang up on them. I liked the idea of a class action lawsuit but am useless in this department. But if anyone out there can figure out a solution for these guys, I'm with you.

• Re
      20th of Jul, 2009

TaIK ABOUT CRIMMINAL GREEDY BANKS !!!

• Dv
      31st of Dec, 2009

Yes, I totally agree. I've had similar problems with them and am trying to rectify one now, a huge jump in interest rate (for the second time) without any notification. I won't bother mentioning the reduction of my credit line without any notification when the market crashed which led to me canceling my account (oops, I just did).

1st of Jan, 2010

I finally won my efforts to get on my own debt reduction program outside of Juniper. It took 10 months and countless letters to Senator Charles Schummer who I believe is head of credit card reform. Juniper was confronted about my problem by the Feds and Juniper flat out lied to them. Juniper told them that my account was current and that was why they wouldn't let me on my debt program. Well I submitted 10 months of statements showing their statement saying I was over my limit and overlimit fees and late fees. - DUH!! How can you be current if they are adding all those fees. Well, after sending all my statements to Schummer and his office forwarding it to the Feds showing they lied I got my debt reduction program set the way I wanted and I believe it is only 9% interest or something like that now instead of the 29% plus all the fees have been waived and dropped. So, my suggestion is to send a letter to Senator Charles Schummer's office and let them know that there is a ton of us out there with problems with them. The more people that jump on this the more the Feds will investigate.

1st of Jan, 2010

Senator Charles Schumer
    313 Hart Senate Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Everyone send your complaints to this address. If everyone fills up his mailbox with this think what could be done if I got done what I needed done.

20th of Jan, 2010

In June of 2009 Juniper Bank had called me to because I was only making the minimum payment on the credit card that they issued to me (this was the amount shown on the statement-minimum payment due). They said that I was over my credit limit ( this was after they lowered my credit limit below what I had already charged. I authorized them to take $115.00 out of my checking account on the 22nd of the month so that I would not be late and be reducing the overlimit amount. In June they took out two payments instead of one. I called them and after being on the phone for 1-1/2hrs and speaking with a supervisor they finally agreed to refund me $115.00. At that time I told them I did not want any more payments taken out of our account and I would make sure they received the payment of $#115.00 each month BEFORE the due date. The supervisor informed me she would have the payment stopped. In July they took the payment out again. I thought they did not have time to stop the payment so I called them again. They informed me once again that the payment would stop. Well it did not! They have since tried to send it through our account for Aug-Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec. My bank is working with me on this so they put a stop pay on any check that comes through from them. Well- low and behold on my statements every month there is a $39 over the limit fee AND a $39. return check fee. I wrote Juniper a letter on October 10th with no response. I then contacted the Attorney General in West Virginia and they attempted twice to contact them and Juniper did answer any of their letters. The Attorney GeneraL RECOMMENDED that I sue Juniper in small claims court. I then thought I would give it one more try - so I sent them a certified return receipt letter in Dec 2009. They received it -I basically explained to them what I have said above- I RECEIVED A RESPONSE! It said - We have reviewed your request for removal of the 12/22/09 fee of $39. and this has been denied., DID THEY NOT READ THE LETTER. I then called them on 1/19/10 the day I received the response. I called the number they gave me on the letter to call. I spoke with a Supervisor- after 20 minutes with a RUDE Customer Service Rep. The Supervisor- Jennifer told me that i was in Collections and they could not stop the payment from coming out of my account. I told her I wanted it stopped and she said that she would speak with that Department and call me back onj 1/20/10. GUESS WHAT!! She never called. So I called them at 5:30 p.m. on 1/20/10 and the Customer Service Representive that I spoke with WOULD not transfer me "Jennifer" Said it was aqainst policy. She then disconnected the call. I will be writing to Senator Schumer - we have go to get this resolved. If anyone has any ideas-m PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

• Da
      6th of Apr, 2011

PLEASE ! LETS DO IT
    I have a similar experience with this Barclay bank, and I agree to start a class-action law suit. I will hire an attorney to start the law suit however you have to will to surf the internet and social-media to get as many complaints as possible, Which should be no problem.
    Please respond to my e-mail as soon as possible: ig156w@aol.com