JUGO JUICE MARDA LOOP / unsafety food handling

Calgary, Alberta, Canada Review updated:
3.35
Yesterday I was in this branch and was seating down enjoying my meal when, to my surprise I happened to observe what was happening on the store.

There was the first day of a new employee and she was doing fine doing all the mixes in the blenders, then a customer arrived to ask for a mix containing fresh carrot juice and one of the senior employees showed the new one how to use the extractor juice machine.

I was shocked to see the machine was pretty dirty, forget about that, they just introduced all the carrots “not peeled and not even washed!!! From my seat I could clearly see all the dirt on them!!!”

for me would be common sense to wash them, but none of the employees seem to bother about that, which makes me think how many bacteria and viruses I could get by drinking their “DIRTY HEALTHY juices”, Fortunately for me I had requested a juice mixed with frozen fruit.

That not ended there, then the NEW employee very excited for her “first day” started to clean everything with a soaked filthycloth passing it everywhere even the blender machines….she didn’t wash it !!!she just moved the “dirt’ from one place to the other and again the senior employees not paying attention, There was this tall big girl with black hair, who I think either she was the most senior or the supervisor, the third one was the cashier.

Especially carrots can contain: caked dirt, mould or decayed matter
Lg

Comments

To
  22nd of Jan, 2009
Do you have nothing better to do than complain about new employes? Or are u just one of those germ freaks? Go easy. The noob was probably haveing a rough start and u can stand right at the counter and watch them make the drink. So if the customer didn't complain whats the prob steve? Have a nice day.
Sj
  15th of Mar, 2009
Just to enlighten you,

The carrots are soaked and scrubbed when the come out of the box they are delivered in BEFORE they are placed in their storage container in the fridge.
The veggie juicer is wiped down with a cleaning solution and sanitized EVERY DAY at close, it is never left un-clean.
The counters are cleaned several times daily using hot water and a bleach solution and a cloth, bleach kills bacteria.

I have worked at this location for the past five years and will be first to tell you our location is one of the cleanest and well ran in the city, it's unfortunate that people like you have nothing better to do with your time than try to ruin the reputation of a well run business.

Maybe get your facts straight next time.
Va
  18th of Mar, 2009
It would have been nice if the dissatisfied customer also posted my reply to her complaint. I never did hear back from her after this. Below is my original response.

I am the franchise partner for the location of Jugo Juice in Marda Loop that you visited on Thursday. Jugo Juice head office relayed your email to me today.

I am very sorry that you had this experience in my location. I never want someone to come away from my store with a bad impression. We strive to offer the best customer service and the highest food safety standards.

I can assure you that we do adhere to all food safety standards and make every attempt to train our staff accordingly. Everyone is required to complete the food safety course within 3 months of employment. That said, the reality of what happens is this: once one juice is made, the juicer does look very dirty as juicing itself is very messy. There is a huge amount of pulp stuck to the entire juicer. Also, the carrots, beets and other vegetables cause discolouration/staining on the juicer. We do remove the discolouration weekly, but completely santize the juicer twice per day. The vegetables are pre-washed before being put in the ice bin. The carrots are pre-washed, but never peeled, before they are even put in the fridge for storage. We use a combination of 100ppm of bleach to water as recommended by the Calgary Health Region to santize our cloths and counter tops. However, I do encourage staff to keep a cloth down by the smoothie bar in order to wipe up any spills (which are constant). We cannot spray with bleach every time, but it is done many, many, many times per day. I am very concerned with the satisfaction and safety of my customers and will discuss it with all 4 staff members that were present that day to make sure this is indeed what is happening.

I do encourage my staff to enjoy themselves at work, but when there are more than 2 people working at a time, they can get carried away. I will definitely talk with all staff to make sure they are more conscious of the fact that we are in full view of the customers and we need to conduct ourselves accordingly.
I am very dissappointed that you had this experience and I would like to invite you back to have a fresh juice or smoothie, my treat. Just give any of the staff your first name and your next beverage is on me.

I will be in the store for the next three days if wish to come in to speak with me personally. I hope to see you back in the store soon.

Sincerely,
Valorie Elgar
Jugo Juice
Marda Loop
403-685-9771
Km
  5th of Apr, 2009
Get a life lady. Have you never travelled to other countries. I go into that Jugo juice all the time and it is a great establishment. People like you need to worry about things that matter, here's some advice "don't sweat the small stuff".
Da
  4th of May, 2009
If you go to the Calgary Health Region/Alberta Health Services web site and look up the listings for restaurant inspections you will see for yourself that this Jugo Juice was cited for six different violations. Disgusting. They run an unsanitary location, and those of you who want to eat by other countries' standards can go there. Or maybe you can apply to work in the store.