Jpmorgan Chase / lowered available credit and damaged credit score

United States, Washington Review updated:
Chase Card/JP Morgan Chase
I have been a loyal Washington Mutual customer for over 15 years. When they were bought out by JP Morgan Chase, I knew that there would be changes to their policies and procedures, but was resolved to not change banks because of the overall hassle involved. However, due to the policies Chase has enacted with both my bank accounts and my credit card, I am more than willing to deal with the inconvenience of moving my money and my credit to another bank, if only to make a statement about how horrible this company is to work with.

My boyfriend and I have 6 bank accounts with Wamu/Chase and have always kept them in good standing. Once Chase took over, they want to charge fees for us to download our transactions into Quicken. I find this ridiculous -- Chase already takes our money, loans it out to other customers and makes quite a bit of interest off of it and now they want to charge us $10 an account to simply download our transactions? It requires very little of the bank's involvement for this to be possible -- the greed here is astounding. So we're now pulling our fairly sizable accounts from Chase and moving those to a local credit union.

Now to my credit card. I use my credit card quite liberally and again, I have had my credit card with WaMu for years. I've never missed a payment, have never been more than one or two days late with a payment and have had my credit limit continually raised because I've been such a good customer. I used to pay my credit card off completely every month, but this last year I have needed to have more cash on hand for a remodeling project, so have been making a payment (well above the minimum payment due) every month.

I was making my payment online in July and noticed that my credit limit was about $1200 lower than what it used to be. I was concerned, but not overly so, and as I was leaving on vacation the next day, decided to deal with it upon my return. I received a letter detailing the lowering of my limit two weeks AFTER the decision had been made without any input from me whatsoever.

They claim that due to various credit factors, they unilaterally lowered my credit limit without discussion. I have no idea what they're talking about with regards to credit factors as I own my own house, two cars and have a very good credit score, but by lowering my available credit, they are actually DAMAGING my overall credit rating. Understandably, I am very upset. I called Chase and the incredibly unhelpful, unintelligent robot that answered my call insisted that neither he or his supervisor would be able to reinstate my credit limit to what it was before.

I am now in the process of transferring the balance of my Chase card to another bank so that Chase will not have any of my business, nor my boyfriend's business. They can say goodbye to the interest they would have received from our various accounts as well as the interest they would have made from my credit card. In addition, I have told numerous friends and family members about Chase's business tactics and to date, four people that I know have removed their accounts and credit cards from Chase. I will continue to tell people I come into contact with to leave Chase and will cross post my complaints on every web medium I can find to encourage other Chase customers to leave as well. In researching the possible repercussions to this event, I came across literally hundreds of complaints from people just like me in the same situation. What is being done to resolve these issues?

If this is Chase's way of increasing or maintaining their client base, it's an incredibly poor business model; one can only hope this will result in their eventual downfall. It's time that banks that are poorly managed and run on corporate greed realize the consequences of their policies: loss of customers and company failure, one that the American public will NOT bail them out from.

A  6th of Aug, 2009 by
I totally agree with your feelings about Chase. They lowered the credit limit on my card by $5000.00!!! Guess what my debt/credit ratio looks like now! It would've been nice if they'd notified me, but I had to find out when I was checking my account online. No notification - no letter - no message online - nothing, zilch, nada...

And if you're in TX and recently had your WaMu checking/savings merged, WATCH YOUR ACCOUNT! I've been having debit postings that are incorrect and it takes their computerized system 4-5 days to correct the amounts. I've also had two debit posting which were correct and timely, but then disappeared from my account for another 4-5 days.

Amazing! A bank with billions of dollars and they can't get their friggin computer system to work accurately.

Don't bother calling Customer Service or going into your local branch. They're pathetic and no help at all.

I'm looking for another bank, too.

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank