JobFox.com Resume Critiques

Generic Computer Generated Critiques

4.9
JobFox.com
jobfox.com
JobFox.com provides generic critiques generated by a computer. I had the opportunity to have a critique shared with me by two of my clients. It was apparent to me that it was a form letter and computer generated, because it had the following problems:

1. Wrong job title used throughout the document in both instances.
2. Provided no real advice on how to fix the "mundane" and "flat" resumes.
3. Called the clients' experience "pudding in a cup." Yes, pudding in a cup.
4. Pulled out half of two bullet points and stated that those bullet points didn't have accomplishments in them.
5. Said that one of the clients had an objective and a career summary. The resume had niether. I would never include an objective on any resume.
6. Indicates that only entry-level candidates have an objective. Well, there is no objective and the client is an entry-level candidate.
7. Makes a point that the resumes change case and emphasis. Untrue.
8. Said the resumes do not contain keywords, when the software clearly pulls out keywords to create the "critique."
9. It's insulting to the reader and tries to convince the person that they need to spend about $400 to fix his/her resume.

Real resume writing companies, with true experts, will be comfortable showing you examples of what they can do. This company does not.

JobFox.com fails on all accounts on this one. In case you are interested I have included the information in this complaint. Below is one of the critques for a client that had two months of experience and a certification:
____________________
I'm the Jobfox resume expert that was assigned to critique your resume. I reviewed your resume with the goal of giving you an honest, straightforward assessment of your current resume, and not a judgment of your skills and qualifications. I should warn you about my style: I'm direct and to the point, so I hope you won't be offended by my comments. My perspective is that resumes get chosen, not candidates. In a perfect world, interview candidates would be selected based on their strengths and experiences. In reality, this isn't how the process works. A recruiter chooses the short list of candidates from a pile of resumes. Meaning, we have to make sure your resume does the heavy lifting in the selection process.

Here’s the good news: my first impression of you is that you are off to a good start in your career. You’re an up and coming contract management support professional, with a lot to offer an employer. Now, here’s the bad news: your resume isn’t doing a good job saying that to an employer. I found it to be mundane and unlikely to catch an employer’s attention. If you were selling yourself as Crème Brulee, it’s as if your resume is saying “pudding in a cup”.

Your resume needs a boost from a visual, content, and organizational standpoint to engage the reader. It needs to make them want to learn more about you. I didn’t find it to be exciting and it didn’t make me want to run to the phone to call you. These days, employers are being flooded with resumes, and we need yours to compel a hiring manager to continue reading and contact you for an interview. Countless studies have proven that resume quality is the key determinant as to whether a candidate is selected to be interviewed.

Amanda, to be honest with you, I think you should view this version of your resume as a work in progress. It's missing many key elements that we like to see on resumes at your level.

Here are the major issues I see on your resume:

VISUAL PRESENTATION

Your design is very flat and visually uneven. The appearance is not polished, and doesn’t say “experienced Contract Administrator”. By way of example, it’s like the difference between a professionally printed brochure, and one that was done at home and printed on an inkjet printer. For people at your level and experience, I’m used to seeing a much stronger visual appeal. In the real world this means your resume is at a disadvantage when the manager is culling the pile of resumes. The ideal resume format is airy, clean, and uncluttered, with the effective and strategic use of white space.

CONTENT

As I was reading your resume I was trying to imagine myself as a hiring manager, looking for that ideal Contract Administrator. I then asked myself whether I’d have picked your resume, and whether it was memorable. I concluded that much of the information was superficial and that in many instances it was too unclear. Simply put, I wouldn’t remember you. There are a lot of words on your resume, but they’re not formulated into powerful and impactful statements.

You have both an Objective and a Career summary. Having one or the other is fine, but not both. Objective statements are used often by recent graduates, so you may give the impression that you are not an experienced professional. In addition, your Career Summary is weak. It’s a critical element of your resume that should be designed to compel the hiring manager to keep reading. The purpose of this section is to define you as a professional and cover those areas most relevant to your career level and job target. By having a weak Career Summary, you are making it easier for the reviewer to say “pass” when your resume is given the customary cursory glance.

From a grammatical standpoint, I found your resume to possess many of the most common flaws. Expressions like “maintained” and “collaborated” are monotonous for the reader, and serve to repel versus attract their interest. There were some disagreements in case and punctuation and I also noticed that you often used passive language.

From the way the resume is worded, you come across as a “doer” not an “achiever”. Too many of your job descriptions are task based and not results based. Meaning they tell what you did, not what you achieved. To be effective and create excitement, a great resume helps the hiring manager visualize you delivering similar achievements at his or her company. By way of example, you can say you were responsible for managing a particular business process, or you can wow them by describing how you overhauled the process to deliver 50% higher results. Here are some examples of task based sentences in your resume.

Entered, tracked and maintained contract
Developed a comprehensive understanding
These statements are more about what you did, not what you achieved. It would be like you saying “I played tennis last week” when you could have said “I won the tennis tournament at my club last week unseating the person that held the title for the past three years.” Which sounds more impressive?

Employers want to know not only what you accomplished at your jobs, but the depth of those accomplishments. How did your work improve things, save money, etc. Employers are looking for return on investment (ROI).

Additional Issues

Also, I noticed that your resume changes emphasis patterns, which may make it difficult for some employers to follow. Successful resumes use emphasis elements in patterns that are easy for the eye to follow and that highlight the things that are most important to employers. This makes it easy for hiring executives to decide on whether to contact you or not.
It was difficult to give you a detailed critique, because your resume has limited information on your skills and achievements. Our professional resume writers can help you expand your resume so that employers have the necessary information to decide if they want to contact you.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned that you won't be found in resume databases. A well-designed resume includes the keywords and formatting that makes it easy for a resume parsing machine to learn about you and route you to a decision maker. I'm not suggesting you put a block of keywords in your resume. That just annoys recruiters. Rather, it's important that as you describe yourself, your accomplishments, and your skills, that you do it in a way that gives hints to the key word filtering system.

SUMMARY

Amanda, I’d like you to go back, reread your resume, and ask yourself whether it’s selling you short. Does it say “Amanda is a contract management support professional with tremendous expertise?” A great resume is the lynchpin in your job search, and I hate to see a strong person like you being underserved by something that’s so easy to fix.

NEXT STEPS

Most people are like you - they struggle to put themselves down on paper effectively, but that's where we come in. All the recommendations above can be combined in a cohesive, strategic manner so that you can distinguish yourself from other candidates. Our resume writers are experts in doing this. Countless studies have proven that professionally written resumes get more interviews, and, if it shortens your job search by even one day, a professional resume will pay for itself.

Purchasing the right resume writing service is important. You want to be sure you are getting everything you need to be successful in your job search without being nickel and dimed. The Jobfox Deluxe Package includes a Cover Letter (a $75 value), an Electronic Version of your resume (a $39 value), and Keyword Optimization (a $59 value). I’ve included the comparison below so you can see how the Jobfox Deluxe Package compares to other services. At $399 we are priced to be the best value service.

If you would prefer to pay in installments, we have a fantastic option that no other resume writing service provides: Six (6) payments of $69.95 per month. You will receive your professionally written resume now but have the advantage of paying for it over time.

To order your resume rewrite online, click here
Complaint comments Comments (106) Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

A  4th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Is any one else on this board interested in a class action suit against Jobfox for the money they were bilked out of. If so please contact me at suzanne.werden@yahoo.com. I refused to pay midway due to their substandard services and now they have forwarded the balance to a collection agency who affected my credit report negatively. Really sad to take advantage of individuals seeking employment.
A  7th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I received the same canned email from Jobfox regarding my resume. Before I spent $400 I did a lot of research on the company and found numerous complaints from several websites. I also received another email from Jobfox this morning stating they would give me a discount of $200 off their resume writing service and that I could pay a lump sum payment or pay the fee in 6 installments. Do not be misled by their emails and or advertisements. They only want your money and will give you nothing in return.
A  7th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Tell me about it - I am serious about the class action suit but we need at least 50 individuals - this is just plain fraud for anyone who has already paid and did not get the service they agreed to. From the looks of this site there are at least 50 who have been bilked out of their money.
N  10th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Suzanne, I suggest you go onto twitter and launch a campaign of negative press to Jobfox. Encourage others to RT and make sure they are given the bad press they deserve. Suggest:
@Jobfox is a fraud! Don't sign up or you will REGRET it!

also include this complaints board link so people can see.
You can also do another tweet from thewordcynic.com (check out the 100s of complaints) and http://thecomplexmedia.com/blog/?s=jobfox

keep tweeting and asking for RTs. I'll help if you need me to.
A  10th of Apr, 2011 by    +3 Votes
I would love your help - have you noticed that when you Google Jobfox now they have taken up the first page with almost all positive stuff moving the negative to pages 2 and on so I think my little campaign is starting to work. But obviously I need some more wind in the sails to get this going. I am currently working on a web page to start the class action sign up sheets - I think I have a lawyer who will take it on once we have the signatures. Please email me at suzanne.werden@yahoo.com so we can get the Twitter campaign going. Thanks
A  11th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
My feelings exactly! I was directed to Job Fox when I applied for a position listed on another site. To obtain information on the job itself I had to sign up with Job Fox and upload my resume. One day later I received an e-mail with the same nonsense about how the resume was flat and uninspiring. I e-mailed them back and told them bluntly that they were only interested in having desperate job seekers part with their money. They quickly replied claiming that all they were interested in was get me back to work. My next move was to unsubscribe. I find it interesting that their CEO is the guy who founded Career Builders
N  17th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Any person who has any savvy at all knows that a company who creates web pages to tout themselves i.e., doesn't include ONE complaint just glowing reviews is a company desperate enough to push themselves to the top of the ladder to further mislead seekers. Jobfox has gotten mostly negative reviews from users for a long time. It is a long established business standard that says if ANY company has to create multiple websites to make themselves look good, they are truly f**ked. Jobfox did just that. It was obvious from the day they tried to beat out the fact that "SCAM" was what Google was returning when someone looked up Jobfox. Seeing what they have done shows how pathetic they are but mostly how much people hate them. If you try to write a negative comment on any Jobfox site, you will never see it... EVER ... posted. What will hopefully happen is that no person will see that a company that isn't Zappos or Amazon will never have all positive comments. Jobfox won't even entertain that and in doing so they have made themselves look like bigger losers than they already are.
N  27th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I got the same letter. Mine was from someone named Bridget Hart. Glad found this complaint board and didn't fall for it.
A  27th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Not sure why my previous complaint entry came out with a typo in it. It should say ...Glad I found this complaint board and didn't fall for Job Fox's scam.
A  28th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Thank goodness I thought to Google JobFox's resume' writing service to see what other people had to say about it. Like many others on this board, I also received the standard computer-generated "critique" and the sales pitch. I just saved myself $350 (they were offering 30% off with 6 mo. installments). $350 is a LOT of money to spend and I could never be sure that what I would get back was really worth it, so I decided to search for reviews online. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH JOB FOX!
Anne P.
N  4th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Has anyone come across any legitimate resume writing companies that they would recommend? I too received a critique from JobFox that's almost identical to the critique provided above. Thanks for posting!
N  7th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Watch out people cause they are still scamming. I got a "review" yesterday with the same form letter and wording already mentioned here. Glad I did not send money before I researched the company!
A  25th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Same cut-copy-paste critique here. Recieved after submitting a professionally created resume.
My reviewer was a (presumably ficticious) Neil Bradley. I called asking for him. There was a brief pause and a hurried "Actually he was just promoted and he is out of the office." Has anyone else tried contating thier supposed reviewer by telephone and reieved a similar response?
A  26th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Unfortunately I didn't read this before shelling out the $400. Like an idiot, I asked for their help. Later that day I received an introduction email from a women named Lisa saying she had been assigned my resume and would be sending me a draft in the next few days. It has been more than a week and not only haven't I recieved the draft, but she also has not responded to any of my posts asking for an eta. Definitely a scam.
A  30th of Aug, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Thanks for the posts everyone, you guys saved me $400. Hopefully, we can keep this thread going to save more people!
N  19th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I, too, received the aforementioned JobFox email critiquing my resume. Here is their MO... they begin by telling you they are going to be brutally honest because they truly want to help you find a job. Next, they state something positive about your skills/qualifications to try to hook you in emotionally, and then they let you have it. They rip apart every other piece of your resume leaving you feeling deflated and inept. But wait, they have a solution... shell out $350 of money you don't have, which is why you are currently searching for a job, and they will make it all better. What's that... you don't have $350... well, why don't you break it up into 6 easy payments. This is a shameful ploy to take advantage of good people who are trying to find work in this difficult economy. To those of you reading these comments, stay positive and believe in yourselves. Do not let the JobFox critique poison your outlook. I wish you all the best of luck in your job search!
N  19th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
A class action suit has been ititiated against Jobfox and their resume practices - with any luck we will recover the money we have lost.
N  19th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I was able to reach the resume department but it was by accident because I was trying to reach accounts receivable. The person who answered the resume line - Madaline - seemed confused and upset that I was able to reach her. I told her my complaint and stated she should be embarrassed to work for the company.
A  21st of Oct, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Got many of the same critiques mentioned above, word for word.
THANK YOU for saving me $400 and GOOD LUCK in the class-action suit!
N  28th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
Yes, I got the same email. And, I keep getting spam emails about specials. I was thinking about trying it, but now that I read this page, I def will not. I went to see a resume writer at my college for free. Still looking for a job.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree