JobFox.com Resume Critiques

Generic Computer Generated Critiques

4.9
JobFox.com
jobfox.com
JobFox.com provides generic critiques generated by a computer. I had the opportunity to have a critique shared with me by two of my clients. It was apparent to me that it was a form letter and computer generated, because it had the following problems:

1. Wrong job title used throughout the document in both instances.
2. Provided no real advice on how to fix the "mundane" and "flat" resumes.
3. Called the clients' experience "pudding in a cup." Yes, pudding in a cup.
4. Pulled out half of two bullet points and stated that those bullet points didn't have accomplishments in them.
5. Said that one of the clients had an objective and a career summary. The resume had niether. I would never include an objective on any resume.
6. Indicates that only entry-level candidates have an objective. Well, there is no objective and the client is an entry-level candidate.
7. Makes a point that the resumes change case and emphasis. Untrue.
8. Said the resumes do not contain keywords, when the software clearly pulls out keywords to create the "critique."
9. It's insulting to the reader and tries to convince the person that they need to spend about $400 to fix his/her resume.

Real resume writing companies, with true experts, will be comfortable showing you examples of what they can do. This company does not.

JobFox.com fails on all accounts on this one. In case you are interested I have included the information in this complaint. Below is one of the critques for a client that had two months of experience and a certification:
____________________
I'm the Jobfox resume expert that was assigned to critique your resume. I reviewed your resume with the goal of giving you an honest, straightforward assessment of your current resume, and not a judgment of your skills and qualifications. I should warn you about my style: I'm direct and to the point, so I hope you won't be offended by my comments. My perspective is that resumes get chosen, not candidates. In a perfect world, interview candidates would be selected based on their strengths and experiences. In reality, this isn't how the process works. A recruiter chooses the short list of candidates from a pile of resumes. Meaning, we have to make sure your resume does the heavy lifting in the selection process.

Here’s the good news: my first impression of you is that you are off to a good start in your career. You’re an up and coming contract management support professional, with a lot to offer an employer. Now, here’s the bad news: your resume isn’t doing a good job saying that to an employer. I found it to be mundane and unlikely to catch an employer’s attention. If you were selling yourself as Crème Brulee, it’s as if your resume is saying “pudding in a cup”.

Your resume needs a boost from a visual, content, and organizational standpoint to engage the reader. It needs to make them want to learn more about you. I didn’t find it to be exciting and it didn’t make me want to run to the phone to call you. These days, employers are being flooded with resumes, and we need yours to compel a hiring manager to continue reading and contact you for an interview. Countless studies have proven that resume quality is the key determinant as to whether a candidate is selected to be interviewed.

Amanda, to be honest with you, I think you should view this version of your resume as a work in progress. It's missing many key elements that we like to see on resumes at your level.

Here are the major issues I see on your resume:

VISUAL PRESENTATION

Your design is very flat and visually uneven. The appearance is not polished, and doesn’t say “experienced Contract Administrator”. By way of example, it’s like the difference between a professionally printed brochure, and one that was done at home and printed on an inkjet printer. For people at your level and experience, I’m used to seeing a much stronger visual appeal. In the real world this means your resume is at a disadvantage when the manager is culling the pile of resumes. The ideal resume format is airy, clean, and uncluttered, with the effective and strategic use of white space.

CONTENT

As I was reading your resume I was trying to imagine myself as a hiring manager, looking for that ideal Contract Administrator. I then asked myself whether I’d have picked your resume, and whether it was memorable. I concluded that much of the information was superficial and that in many instances it was too unclear. Simply put, I wouldn’t remember you. There are a lot of words on your resume, but they’re not formulated into powerful and impactful statements.

You have both an Objective and a Career summary. Having one or the other is fine, but not both. Objective statements are used often by recent graduates, so you may give the impression that you are not an experienced professional. In addition, your Career Summary is weak. It’s a critical element of your resume that should be designed to compel the hiring manager to keep reading. The purpose of this section is to define you as a professional and cover those areas most relevant to your career level and job target. By having a weak Career Summary, you are making it easier for the reviewer to say “pass” when your resume is given the customary cursory glance.

From a grammatical standpoint, I found your resume to possess many of the most common flaws. Expressions like “maintained” and “collaborated” are monotonous for the reader, and serve to repel versus attract their interest. There were some disagreements in case and punctuation and I also noticed that you often used passive language.

From the way the resume is worded, you come across as a “doer” not an “achiever”. Too many of your job descriptions are task based and not results based. Meaning they tell what you did, not what you achieved. To be effective and create excitement, a great resume helps the hiring manager visualize you delivering similar achievements at his or her company. By way of example, you can say you were responsible for managing a particular business process, or you can wow them by describing how you overhauled the process to deliver 50% higher results. Here are some examples of task based sentences in your resume.

Entered, tracked and maintained contract
Developed a comprehensive understanding
These statements are more about what you did, not what you achieved. It would be like you saying “I played tennis last week” when you could have said “I won the tennis tournament at my club last week unseating the person that held the title for the past three years.” Which sounds more impressive?

Employers want to know not only what you accomplished at your jobs, but the depth of those accomplishments. How did your work improve things, save money, etc. Employers are looking for return on investment (ROI).

Additional Issues

Also, I noticed that your resume changes emphasis patterns, which may make it difficult for some employers to follow. Successful resumes use emphasis elements in patterns that are easy for the eye to follow and that highlight the things that are most important to employers. This makes it easy for hiring executives to decide on whether to contact you or not.
It was difficult to give you a detailed critique, because your resume has limited information on your skills and achievements. Our professional resume writers can help you expand your resume so that employers have the necessary information to decide if they want to contact you.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned that you won't be found in resume databases. A well-designed resume includes the keywords and formatting that makes it easy for a resume parsing machine to learn about you and route you to a decision maker. I'm not suggesting you put a block of keywords in your resume. That just annoys recruiters. Rather, it's important that as you describe yourself, your accomplishments, and your skills, that you do it in a way that gives hints to the key word filtering system.

SUMMARY

Amanda, I’d like you to go back, reread your resume, and ask yourself whether it’s selling you short. Does it say “Amanda is a contract management support professional with tremendous expertise?” A great resume is the lynchpin in your job search, and I hate to see a strong person like you being underserved by something that’s so easy to fix.

NEXT STEPS

Most people are like you - they struggle to put themselves down on paper effectively, but that's where we come in. All the recommendations above can be combined in a cohesive, strategic manner so that you can distinguish yourself from other candidates. Our resume writers are experts in doing this. Countless studies have proven that professionally written resumes get more interviews, and, if it shortens your job search by even one day, a professional resume will pay for itself.

Purchasing the right resume writing service is important. You want to be sure you are getting everything you need to be successful in your job search without being nickel and dimed. The Jobfox Deluxe Package includes a Cover Letter (a $75 value), an Electronic Version of your resume (a $39 value), and Keyword Optimization (a $59 value). I’ve included the comparison below so you can see how the Jobfox Deluxe Package compares to other services. At $399 we are priced to be the best value service.

If you would prefer to pay in installments, we have a fantastic option that no other resume writing service provides: Six (6) payments of $69.95 per month. You will receive your professionally written resume now but have the advantage of paying for it over time.

To order your resume rewrite online, click here
Complaint comments Comments (106) Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

A  24th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Ditto, I got the same crud. And it was their aggressive 'buy our service' followups that tipped me off to look up this forum. I was wondering how they managed to hire so many professional resume reviewers to handle the workload...
If I were Melanie Howe (aka, whomever is behind all this) I'd be leaving for Antarctica right about now - imagine the numbers of desperate, unemployed armed people who've been ripped off for $400 and are right now trying to locate the physical address of this business. LOL! What goes around comes around.
A  24th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Wow! Literally a few minutes ago I was ready to signed up for this service at jobfox and googled'"jobfox resume writer reviews' and found this complaints board. I received the same BS letter as most of you had. THANK you all so much from saving me from a headache!
A  8th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
TheLadders is another one that sends out bogus critiques. I believe eventually a human does them once they think you are about to buy but judging by their work those are bogus as well. I'm going to post a complaint about them as well, but thought it would be useful to include here. For a laugh read the url. The person updating the website doesn't like them either. He/she thinks the resume stinks before and after. ha ha

Although it was difficult to find examples on their website, I viewed one
of their before/after resumes by finding one of their articles with the
information. Something that may give you a laugh is reading the actual url
title for the actual before/after resumes below. I have included the
links:

Before:

https://cdn.theladders.net/static/images/editorial/LaddersResumeStinksbeforeresu... %202009.pdf

After:
https://cdn.theladders.net/static/images/editorial/LaddersResumeStinksafterresum... 20091.pdf

Main link:
N  8th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Below is an exchange I had with a JobFox Executive that found the complaint. Funny thing, she never got back to me after my contact back to her. Her email is below the one below. It's funny how she calls it an incident rather than incidents.

ConcernedRW23
151 days ago
Sure,

What would you like to know? Your critiques are produced by software and mislead the clients. I am pretty sure that covers it.

The proof is in the many errors found throughout the document (count 8). No intelligent human would make those types of errors.

It also happened several times with different resumes.

If you really want to provide critiques to generate resume sales, get a real human to do them.
_________________________________________________________________
clientserv
167 days ago
Dear concerned RW23,

I would like to discuss this incident with you privately.

Name Concealed
VP Client Services
Jobfox
A  9th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Hahahaha! I'm a career recruiting professional and read hundreds of resumes per month. I know a good resume and a bad resume when I see one, and I'm also an accomplished writer. I got the same "critique." Laughable. 5 years ago I wrote a website dedicated to how to build an effective resume (free): http://www.free-resume-help.com.

I can't believe the comments. What in the world would Jennifer Green know about resume writing (and reading) that a 20 year recruiting veteran wouldn't know?

I'll finish as I started... Hahahahaha!

John
A  9th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
What amazes me is that they continue to use this system to get clients so it must be working for them enough to justify the means. Also, beware of tips found on some websites like Yahoo.com from people that have never been recruiters or hiring managers. Those seem rapant these days. I have read the tips and think that the people really don't understand what makes a good resume. I have actually seen some articles suggesting that people put complete sentences, starting each one with "I." I have also seen others that suggest older workers take all dates off their resume. Watch who you take your advice from. Seek out those that are CPRWs or at least adhere to the PARW standards.
A  23rd of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I received a similar critique from Jennifer Green and knew that I wasn't going to spend $400 when my resume was just scrubbed by my career coach. I will say, however, that some of her (err the computer that is) critique I agree with such as showing more detailed results to avoid appearing as a "doer" instead of an "achiever". I still need to add more of that detail so that's OK. As someone else mentioned I don't believe that our resumes actually go anywhere via jobfox since they are basically only trying to drum up business. This site is excellent for all of us to share our experiences. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
N  24th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Thank you for this post. I recieved a resume critique and it was the same as the one you posted. You are an example of why people should report on others, so tons of people dont get ripped off.
A  31st of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am forced to agree that this is probably a scam. However, I went one step further and actually dialed the 877 number on my "critique" and the extension of the "critiquer". I actually got a live person, who sounded quite intelligent and knowledgable. She said that they have 90 "certified" resume writers on their staff and that she actually did read my resume and write the comment. Although I suppose there is some possibility that the critiques are not generated 100% automatically but guided by a human operator, the whole thing does still not pass the smell test.
The reason I got interested in JobFox to begin with is that it seemed that a number of jobs that looked interesting to me from indeed and careerbuilder searches indicated jobfox as the source.
I'm not going to include my "critique" since onces again it is 90 - 95% identical to those already posted to this discussion.
A  13th of Apr, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I am so glad I found this board. My resume 'review' was about 90 percent similar to the one posted here, and I have 20 years of experience. I can see how they write it, it really entices you to spend the $350. I then emailed the supposed "reviewer" of my resume and said the price was too high. She then emailed back that she could offer a 20% discount. I am a writer/editor so how bad could this resume really be? Anyway, it may need a brushup but I agree with the writer above - I should be spending the money on the gym!!
N  26th of Apr, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Go to Twitter and complain about @jobfox
N  11th of May, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I received my critique from a guy called JD Jackson. I did a Google search as well as a LinkedIn search on him. Nothing. It's as if this guy did not exist. What a sham!
A  25th of May, 2010 by    +1 Votes
100% SCAM. They do a great job of collecting jobs in your area so you will apply for them JUST so that they can "critique" your resume and get you to pay for a new one.

This is NOT A JOB BOARD! There are no real jobs to apply for, they just want your money.

And by "critique" I mean completely tear you apart.

PROOF: The one job that popped up for me was a job that I had already applied for locally, through the Dept. of Labor office. I called them and asked them about the status of my original application (still under review) and then asked them about JobFox... they said they do NOT even use third party job boards... so there you go, absolute proof from the employer themselves that JobFox is a SCAM!!!
A  1st of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Same thing here. It was virtually the same exact letter of critique. It had a few changes from the above form but not much. I agree that this is shameful considering how many of us are out of work and dealing with
self esteem and confidence issues. Some people will stoop low to make a buck, even at the expense of someone else.
A  30th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I paid the $350 and feel completely gypped out of my money. A week later I received a cover letter and resume back with spelling errors and incorrect information. JobFox even had the audacity to enter new bogus information in my resume. In the profile section they wrote "RISK MANAGEMENT." I've never even worked in, around or with any kind of Risk Management.

Frankly, the formatting was okay, but the spelling, grammar, and world selection were horrible. After you sign up for the service, they ask you a few pointed questions, such as "What are the three most major accomplishments of your career?" They then basically cut and paste your answers, do a little word-smithing here and there, and send it back to you for approval.

I want a refund in the worst way.

Finally, when you ask for a revision, expect attitude. My resume writer boasted how he had over 10 years of experience writing resumes? Then I opened the second revision only to find typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors. The writer isn't as experienced as I expected...and the attitude is ridiculous.
N  30th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
While I didn't get the pudding in a cup comment like most everyone else did, I got the "Now, here’s the bad news: Your resume does not pass the 30-second test, and the content is not up to the standards one would expect from a candidate like you. Countless studies have proven that resume quality is the key determinant as to whether a candidate is selected to be interviewed. Your resume needs a boost from a visual, content, and overall writing standpoint to engage the reader. It needs to make them want to learn more about you. I didn’t find it to be exciting, and it didn’t make me want to run to the phone to call you. In short, your resume is effectively sabotaging your job search."

Interesting and true probably, but then again, my co-worker said something similar when I showed him resume. I know my resume isn't lighting up the phone circuit board..and I know it's rather old and out-dated (considering I've been at my current job for almost 8 years and haven't really been looking in 8 years..so why update the ol' resume...). Needless to say, thank you to everyone for opinions and such. I'm convinced they are just too high priced for a robot working on my resume. Unless I get to watch a webcam of the actual person at Jobfox redoing my resume, I simply will not pay $400. I'd rather have someone local who I can actually meet in person, talk about things over coffee, and go through several drafts.
N  1st of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Spelling and grammar errors are unacceptable. If that had happened to me I would have gone knocking on the door of Jobfox and demanded to see the resume writer.
A  10th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I too got the free resume critique from a JD Jackson with the wrong professional field in it. He referred to me as a Biotechnologist (what???) when I clearly wrote down 'Environmental'. I am searching for entry-level positions (grad student) and don't possess 10 years experience which he seemed to think I did. Applied for a job on their site but after reading all this, doubt it was sent to the company in question. I had no intention of paying $399 anyways...don't have that to spare. Might delete my profile soon...
A  12th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I love the internet! Thanks to everyone for posting your comments - I received almost the exact the same letter too!
A  19th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Lol!!.. I got the exact same content as "soccerfan_ca" .. I was so depressed at the way they critiqued my resume!! To hink that a computer put me dwn and drain my enthusiasm.. I dont believe my resume is perfect and it may need some work, but it doesnt feel right to be told that unless I shell 400bucks and use the service of this company, my "resume will SABOTAGE my job search"!!!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree