JobFox.com Resume Critiques

Generic Computer Generated Critiques

4.9
JobFox.com
jobfox.com
JobFox.com provides generic critiques generated by a computer. I had the opportunity to have a critique shared with me by two of my clients. It was apparent to me that it was a form letter and computer generated, because it had the following problems:

1. Wrong job title used throughout the document in both instances.
2. Provided no real advice on how to fix the "mundane" and "flat" resumes.
3. Called the clients' experience "pudding in a cup." Yes, pudding in a cup.
4. Pulled out half of two bullet points and stated that those bullet points didn't have accomplishments in them.
5. Said that one of the clients had an objective and a career summary. The resume had niether. I would never include an objective on any resume.
6. Indicates that only entry-level candidates have an objective. Well, there is no objective and the client is an entry-level candidate.
7. Makes a point that the resumes change case and emphasis. Untrue.
8. Said the resumes do not contain keywords, when the software clearly pulls out keywords to create the "critique."
9. It's insulting to the reader and tries to convince the person that they need to spend about $400 to fix his/her resume.

Real resume writing companies, with true experts, will be comfortable showing you examples of what they can do. This company does not.

JobFox.com fails on all accounts on this one. In case you are interested I have included the information in this complaint. Below is one of the critques for a client that had two months of experience and a certification:
____________________
I'm the Jobfox resume expert that was assigned to critique your resume. I reviewed your resume with the goal of giving you an honest, straightforward assessment of your current resume, and not a judgment of your skills and qualifications. I should warn you about my style: I'm direct and to the point, so I hope you won't be offended by my comments. My perspective is that resumes get chosen, not candidates. In a perfect world, interview candidates would be selected based on their strengths and experiences. In reality, this isn't how the process works. A recruiter chooses the short list of candidates from a pile of resumes. Meaning, we have to make sure your resume does the heavy lifting in the selection process.

Here’s the good news: my first impression of you is that you are off to a good start in your career. You’re an up and coming contract management support professional, with a lot to offer an employer. Now, here’s the bad news: your resume isn’t doing a good job saying that to an employer. I found it to be mundane and unlikely to catch an employer’s attention. If you were selling yourself as Crème Brulee, it’s as if your resume is saying “pudding in a cup”.

Your resume needs a boost from a visual, content, and organizational standpoint to engage the reader. It needs to make them want to learn more about you. I didn’t find it to be exciting and it didn’t make me want to run to the phone to call you. These days, employers are being flooded with resumes, and we need yours to compel a hiring manager to continue reading and contact you for an interview. Countless studies have proven that resume quality is the key determinant as to whether a candidate is selected to be interviewed.

Amanda, to be honest with you, I think you should view this version of your resume as a work in progress. It's missing many key elements that we like to see on resumes at your level.

Here are the major issues I see on your resume:

VISUAL PRESENTATION

Your design is very flat and visually uneven. The appearance is not polished, and doesn’t say “experienced Contract Administrator”. By way of example, it’s like the difference between a professionally printed brochure, and one that was done at home and printed on an inkjet printer. For people at your level and experience, I’m used to seeing a much stronger visual appeal. In the real world this means your resume is at a disadvantage when the manager is culling the pile of resumes. The ideal resume format is airy, clean, and uncluttered, with the effective and strategic use of white space.

CONTENT

As I was reading your resume I was trying to imagine myself as a hiring manager, looking for that ideal Contract Administrator. I then asked myself whether I’d have picked your resume, and whether it was memorable. I concluded that much of the information was superficial and that in many instances it was too unclear. Simply put, I wouldn’t remember you. There are a lot of words on your resume, but they’re not formulated into powerful and impactful statements.

You have both an Objective and a Career summary. Having one or the other is fine, but not both. Objective statements are used often by recent graduates, so you may give the impression that you are not an experienced professional. In addition, your Career Summary is weak. It’s a critical element of your resume that should be designed to compel the hiring manager to keep reading. The purpose of this section is to define you as a professional and cover those areas most relevant to your career level and job target. By having a weak Career Summary, you are making it easier for the reviewer to say “pass” when your resume is given the customary cursory glance.

From a grammatical standpoint, I found your resume to possess many of the most common flaws. Expressions like “maintained” and “collaborated” are monotonous for the reader, and serve to repel versus attract their interest. There were some disagreements in case and punctuation and I also noticed that you often used passive language.

From the way the resume is worded, you come across as a “doer” not an “achiever”. Too many of your job descriptions are task based and not results based. Meaning they tell what you did, not what you achieved. To be effective and create excitement, a great resume helps the hiring manager visualize you delivering similar achievements at his or her company. By way of example, you can say you were responsible for managing a particular business process, or you can wow them by describing how you overhauled the process to deliver 50% higher results. Here are some examples of task based sentences in your resume.

Entered, tracked and maintained contract
Developed a comprehensive understanding
These statements are more about what you did, not what you achieved. It would be like you saying “I played tennis last week” when you could have said “I won the tennis tournament at my club last week unseating the person that held the title for the past three years.” Which sounds more impressive?

Employers want to know not only what you accomplished at your jobs, but the depth of those accomplishments. How did your work improve things, save money, etc. Employers are looking for return on investment (ROI).

Additional Issues

Also, I noticed that your resume changes emphasis patterns, which may make it difficult for some employers to follow. Successful resumes use emphasis elements in patterns that are easy for the eye to follow and that highlight the things that are most important to employers. This makes it easy for hiring executives to decide on whether to contact you or not.
It was difficult to give you a detailed critique, because your resume has limited information on your skills and achievements. Our professional resume writers can help you expand your resume so that employers have the necessary information to decide if they want to contact you.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned that you won't be found in resume databases. A well-designed resume includes the keywords and formatting that makes it easy for a resume parsing machine to learn about you and route you to a decision maker. I'm not suggesting you put a block of keywords in your resume. That just annoys recruiters. Rather, it's important that as you describe yourself, your accomplishments, and your skills, that you do it in a way that gives hints to the key word filtering system.

SUMMARY

Amanda, I’d like you to go back, reread your resume, and ask yourself whether it’s selling you short. Does it say “Amanda is a contract management support professional with tremendous expertise?” A great resume is the lynchpin in your job search, and I hate to see a strong person like you being underserved by something that’s so easy to fix.

NEXT STEPS

Most people are like you - they struggle to put themselves down on paper effectively, but that's where we come in. All the recommendations above can be combined in a cohesive, strategic manner so that you can distinguish yourself from other candidates. Our resume writers are experts in doing this. Countless studies have proven that professionally written resumes get more interviews, and, if it shortens your job search by even one day, a professional resume will pay for itself.

Purchasing the right resume writing service is important. You want to be sure you are getting everything you need to be successful in your job search without being nickel and dimed. The Jobfox Deluxe Package includes a Cover Letter (a $75 value), an Electronic Version of your resume (a $39 value), and Keyword Optimization (a $59 value). I’ve included the comparison below so you can see how the Jobfox Deluxe Package compares to other services. At $399 we are priced to be the best value service.

If you would prefer to pay in installments, we have a fantastic option that no other resume writing service provides: Six (6) payments of $69.95 per month. You will receive your professionally written resume now but have the advantage of paying for it over time.

To order your resume rewrite online, click here
Complaint comments Comments (106)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

A  26th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I wasn't going to spend the $399 because I could smell scam, but finding this site through Google reassures me that my resume isn't as bad as their computer thinks it is. (Props to the AI programmers though: it comes close on the Turing Test!) I was another pudding-in-a-cup with poor visual presentation, which would be a real problem, if true, since UI Design is one of my advertised skills.

My last job market go-round I did get depressed, although not to depressed to spend $399 for some clown to change my typefaces. It's better this time; I have a severance package. (The CEO/owner would like to continue but his cancer has other ideas.) If anyone seeing this comment is down, going to the gym is more helpful than paying these resume scam artists.
A  26th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I got the same critique, even as much as 95% identical. Thanks for pointing out this scam. I was tempted by the "soon to expire" 10% discount that they are now hounding me with.
A  30th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I feel so much better right now! I got this same review and I almost got tempted to purchase the program. Funny enough my resume was written by another resume service and I was quite shocked that JobFox had so many negative things to say about the resume. The critique is too one-sided and if this is a technique they are using to lure people into their products, i'm quite disgusted. I really wish I never asked for this critique, so ridiculous!
A  4th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I got the same generic critique. I wasn't upset or offended by it, and feel there is probably some truth to it. I feel it's probably the same problem many of us who write our own resumes have, and points out how we are likely at a disadvantage in a competitive market and up against others with professionally-written resumes. I actually feel they did me a favor.

That said, while I appreciate being alerted that my resume needs work I'll do my homework before choosing a resume-writing service. Like the other commenters here, for a variety of reasons including the generic, computer-generated critique I don't feel JobFox is the right service. Considering the generic critiques they generate, I can only assume by using their overpriced service I'd end up with a generic resume that isn't going to help me any more than the one I wrote myself will.

There certainly would have been better ways to word their critique if they really wanted my business, and I'm glad it came off as rude and insulting, as the generic nature of the critique, lack of tact and lack of regard for how job searchers feel, especially in this depressed job market, were red flags to me. Don't take it personally folks - take action. . . just not with JobFox. Do some research and find a quality, professional resume-writing service. I hope I don't sound like a marketer for another resume service - truly I'm not. I'm just beginning my job search and hope having my resume professionally written will help make the search more efficient and productive.
A  4th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Same letter received here. These people at JobFox should have their fingers chopped off. Preying on those who are job hunting and trying to extract $399, with a bunch of bogus criticism...what a bunch of criminals.
A  5th of Nov, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I'm a pudding in a cup too, haha. My letter was verbatim to the examples posted. I was feeling kinda down after reading it, but I sure feel better knowing I didn't shell out $400! Thanks so much for posting this!
A  12th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Not only is it a terrible site that’s convoluted and difficult to navigate, I couldn’t find an email to their customer service until I went to another web site to read all their reports about jobfox(surprisingly, all 47 were bad. They got some of my money for their premium membership and I’m sorry to say I paid them big bucks to write my resume and they did a terrible job on it, It was worthless. The resolution process is also terrible and I never got my money back. Unemployed and paying people for poor work. Whats equally as bad is that if you fill out a profile on their site and then find a job advertisement you want to apply for, click it and the job is listed on jobfox, jobfox won’t let you apply unless you pay for the premium membership. Total scam and total ripoff. The worst of the internet
A  16th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
It appears I received the same critique letter as everyone else. I'm just so glad I checked the internet to see if there were any free sites that offered advise or techniques on how to improve my resume. Thanks everybody!!
A  19th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
You can still use a resume service to get your resume done. Just watch out for free critiques, especially ones that insult you and give generic reasons why your resume isn't getting attention. The critiques are free because a real person doesn't have to review them. They are marketing tools.

Remember sometimes you do get what you pay for, especially when it is free.

Look for services that have been around for a while, have certified professional resume writers on staff (or at least use the guideliness), view samples of their work, and see what kind of complaints are out there about them (if any).

Good luck!
A  2nd of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I received this exact same letter from Melanie Howe with JobFox. Literally, 98% of the same information. The only unique elements are my name and career title. I am a professional technical writer and instructional designer with 4+ years of experience and two masters degrees. I was so shocked about the critique that I wrote down each piece of advice and had every intention on purchasing this service from JobFox. The bulk of my disappointment with Jobfox: how the computer-generated letter tries to rip apart the job seeker. Highly disappointed.

Here is my jobfox resume critique...

Dear ###,

Here’s the good news: my first impression of you is that you are off to a good start in your career. You’re an up and coming instructional design and development professional, with a lot to offer an employer. Now, here’s the bad news: your resume isn’t doing a good job saying that to an employer. I found it to be mundane and unlikely to catch an employer’s attention. If you were selling yourself as Crème Brulee, it’s as if your resume is saying “pudding in a cup”.

###, to be honest with you, I think you should view this version of your resume as a work in progress. It's missing many key elements that we like to see on resumes at your level.

Here are the major issues I see on your resume:

VISUAL PRESENTATION

Your design is very flat. The appearance is not polished, and doesn’t say high potential instructional design and development professional. By way of example, it’s like the difference between a professionally printed brochure, and one that was done at home and printed on an inkjet printer. For people at your skill level, I’m used to seeing much stronger visual appeal. In the real world this means your resume is at a disadvantage when the manager is culling the pile of resumes. The ideal resume format is airy, clean, and uncluttered, with the effective and strategic use of white space.

CONTENT

As I was reading your resume I was trying to imagine myself as a hiring manager, looking for that ideal Content Developer. I then asked myself whether I’d have picked your resume, and whether it was memorable. I concluded that much of the information was superficial and that in many instances it was too vague. Simply put, I wouldn’t remember you. There are a lot of words on your resume, but they’re not formulated into powerful and impactful statements.

Your Objective is limiting and weak. Objectives should reflect the employer's perspective, not your perspective, and should tell what you can contribute. An Objective should demonstrate the value you will add to the organization. You want it to be concise, but not limiting.

From the way the resume is worded, you come across as a “doer” not an “achiever.” Too many of your job descriptions are task based and not results based. Meaning they tell what you did, not what you achieved. To be effective and create excitement, a great resume helps the hiring manager visualize you delivering similar achievements at his or her company. By way of example, you can say you were responsible for managing a particular business process, or you can wow them by describing how you overhauled the process to deliver 50% higher results. Here are some examples of task based sentences in your resume.

* Interview subject matter experts (SMEs)
* Develop eLearning storyboards

These statements are more about what you did, not what you achieved. It would be like you saying “I played tennis last week” when you could have said “I won the ladies tennis tournament at my club last week unseating the woman that held the title for the past three years.” Which sounds more impressive?

Additional Issues

SUMMARY

###, I’d like you to go back, reread your resume, and ask yourself whether it’s selling you short. Does it say "### is an instructional design and development professional with solid credentials and tremendous potential?" A great resume is the lynchpin in your job search, and I hate to see a strong person like you being underserved by something that’s so easy to fix.

NEXT STEPS

Purchasing the right resume writing service is important. You want to be sure you are getting everything you need to be successful in your job search without being nickel and dimed. The Jobfox Deluxe Package includes a Cover Letter (a $75 value), an Electronic Version of your resume (a $39 value), and a Resume Rewrite with Keyword Optimization (a $349 value). I’ve included the comparison below so you can see how the Jobfox Deluxe Package compares to other services. At $399 we are priced to be the best value service.

To order your resume rewrite online, click here
A  17th of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I just got this in my email, and my "results" were pretty much the exact same as everyone else's. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "critiques" had merit, but they don't have any merit coming from a platform like this.

Funny thing is, I got this critique the day after I received 2 calls from companies who want to interview me. Little late, JobFox.
N  19th of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Wow - I just spent the afternoon rewriting my resume, thinking, my resume is not all that bad. One prospective employer even commented on how much they liked my resume when I went on an interview a few weeks back.

I emailed the person who sent me the critique, before I learned it was a scam, and asked to see a copy of what they considered a "good" resume. It wasn't all that great - certainly not worth even close to $400. $400?? Are they crazy? Don't job seekers change their resume per prospective position anyway, so what good would it be to order their service for ONE resume?

I also received an reply from another person at JobFox when I inquired on whether my cover letter and resume had been sent to the company I had applied to through their site after they asked for money to join their service. I had not intended on applying through this company, but I answered an ad on a job board that was linked to Job Fox. I bet they did not send my resume, and I will send it directly. I am glad to know this information from so many people. It makes me feel better about my resume.

Report them to the Better Business Bureau!
N  29th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Try proresumecritiques.com . They really specialize in college resumes (entry level) but they do offer professional critiques. They got it back to me in about a week. Had over 30 comments and the format was pretty appealing.
A  15th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I got the exact same email as the rest of you from a Peg Crits, basically saying how bad my resume was. It's obvious they just pulled parts of my resume into the email.

One thing that gave it away was, 'she' said that my resume was uploaded as a text file and the formatting was bad and couldn't be read. No I uploaded a word document, that is very readable and easy to follow.

So she must have used the wrong 'bad resume template' when she sent me my email.

Then I applied for some jobs that were listed as close matches. As soon as I did, I get another email from jobfox saying how I should upgrade to the advantage member so I know the progress of my application. What progress, if the company wants to hire me, they'll contact me.

I'm really starting to doubt when you apply that your resume actually goes anywhere to be honest.
A  22nd of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Thank you! I too almost fell for their scam. I did ask for samples of their work and haven't received any response, so I was beginning to suspect that it was a scam. Thanks for the confirmation.
A  2nd of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I too received my critique from the mysterious Melanie Howe. I decided I would write back and ask for any sample they would feel safe about sending me to review. I stated that I'm in the IT field so perhaps they could send me a sample from some other industry and "Greek" the text. That way I would only peek at the "special" layout they promise. Told "her" that $400 was a lot to part with if no further evidence of what I would get was provided. Guess what? Never heard a word. I doubt there really is a "Melanie Howe."
A  16th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Please add mine to the list of thanks and warnings to others. I didn't ask for their resume critique...I simply used their boardas a springboard to apply for aj ob. As a matter of fact, after I loaded my profile and resume into the JobFox portal...thinking it would auto-apply to the job in question...it did nothing more than add me to the Job Fox database. And then I had to re-populate the actual hiring company's job site... JobFox wated my time...if their "resume service" costs $399...they already received that much from me in wasted time.

So, don't populate the JobFox profile...it is useless. Go directly to the actual company doing the hiring's web site (or monster.com, indeed.com, etc)

Last, in general, to all resume writers...I can tell you from experience...resume critiques are very subjective. You will drive yourself nuts and spend a terrific amount of money trying to "perfect" your resume. Search out "free" resume services through local employment agencies, church and civic groups, and veterans benefits agencies, for example. Make sure you have asolid, error free resume. That's all you need.

The real work is done through networking and finding ways to meet hiring authorities and people who can introduce you to hiring authorities. Unless you are looking for an entry-level, minimum wage job. Then you probably don't need a resume...just fill out an application!
A  19th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I am glad I found this complaint. I too got the computer generated form from one "Jennifer Green" who is their Senior Resume Consultant. She is offering a resume package with cover letter thrown in free if I sign up by Friday.

I did a google search and came upon this complaint ... very glad I did.
A  22nd of Feb, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Hey pudding cups and dead fish, add me to the 'cooked meat' pile!

You figure NPR would do their homework on featured companies... Booooo on them and boo on you, JobFox! You jerkos!

-Nini and the Bun.
N  24th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I too was contacted by the Monster JobFox reguarding my resume, however i decided to do a little research after my 3rd solicitation from two resume analyst, I notice this was a position from a company call Intherthinx/ISO in Jersey City posted 08/2009, I was a little shock knowing first hand the company Inthertinx had remove that department to Denver Co, Back in November 2009, Let me say this in one word, Jox Fox is a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.***************SEE BELOW THIS POSITION IS STILL POSTED ON INDEED********NICE TRY JOB-CROOK-###-FOX..**********

About Jobfox
At Jobfox, we're dedicated to matching job seekers with great jobs based on their skills and experience. Find your next job today, start your free profile now.
Company Name: Insurance Services Offices, Inc.
Job Title: File Investigator/Underwriter (INTX)
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Profession: Underwriting

Job Description:
File Investigator/Underwriter (INTX)
Job ID: 2009-19575 # of Openings Remaining: 1
Location: US-NJ-Jersey City Experience (Years): ..
Posted Date: 08/10/2009 Category: Unspecified/Unspecified

Company Overview:

Interthinx provides mission-critical fraud prevention and decision support tools and services to the mortgage industry. Mortgage fraud has reached epidemic proportions across the United States and our company is experiencing amazing growth! We are profitable and the team is upbeat and passionate about stopping mortgage fraud! It is a great time to join Interthinx! Climb aboard and be prepared for a great ride!!!

Responsibilities:

* PredProtect, Fradar, Safecheck, etc.)
* All Investigators must demonstrate proficiency in retrieving research documentation from all public sources used in file research
* All candidates must have the ability to re-underwrite mortgage files
* Ability to complete client file audits in a timely and professional manner
* Compile summarization of individual file reviews for Director of Investigations
* Provide billing summaries by client to Accounting Department monthly for all audits performed in the FIU
* Assist in any other projects as requested by the Director of Investigations and Research
* All candidates must display proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel at a minimum, however all MS Office product knowledge is preferred

Qualifications:

* Must have extensive underwriting experience with experience in Quality Control or Due Diligence underwriting preferred
* 7 years experience in mortgage banking / fraud investigation or related field