Joann Fabrics / thiefs

1 1620 N Tustin StOrange, CA, United States Review updated:

I went to buy my very first sewing machine at Joann Fabrics in Orange, California thinking that a fabric store would have better knowledge on the different sewing machines available. However the sales lady wasn't too helpful in giving me any information on the different models except for the prices. I chose to buy one anyways, i had to wait for the machine because they stored them in the back. I asked them the return policy in case i am not able to use the machine, because it is a expensive purchase for me. They said if I had the orignal reciept I could get a full refund. I then went home and opened up my box and attempted to use the machine, it was a singer model 4210. I could not use the machine and about a 2 months later i had my mother to look at it and found out from my mother that it was not working correctly. So I boxed it up exactly how i got it so i could return it. Even though I kept everything together brand new I couldn't find my reciept so I panicked, what should I do? All I had was a bank statement, so I went and bought the same exact model at the same exact store and went through the same exact process and again i asked about the return policy. I asked my friend to returned the first machine a week or so after I purchased the 2nd machine. She did and was told a check would come in about 2 weeks or so. Then I came again to return the second one at the same store that i had bought both of the machines at, hoping that they would remeber me. I came and ask to speak to the manager and ask if i could return the machine and i didn't have my recipt could she return it for me, she said she did remember me and would look up the reciept in the back. I waited for about 10 minutes when she came back with a reciept, she said it was a copy of the orignal and she asked for my personal information so that she could issue me the refund and then the check would come to me in about 2 weeks. So now Joann Fabrics have both of the sewing machines and payment for both machines, my friend did recieve the check i about 3 weeks, so I waited and waited and waited for the second 1 to come it never did, so I called the store and they told me that they had no control over the refunds and to call the corporate offices and gave a me a number. So I called and was instructed to leave a message and some one would call me back. 10 messages later over 1 1/2 months later I recieved my first call back on my voicemail. I called left another message then finally spoke to a lady, who i might add is very rude. Basically she said i wasn't getting my refund and I couldn't get back the machine that I had paid for, since the same reciept was used for both refunds, she implied that I had stolen it, I explained that I couldn't have even if I tried since they dont even keep the machines in the store they had them in the back somewhere, I explained that I had paid for both but that didn't matter to her and she wasn't going to help me any further. I was very upset that I couldn't even get back my machine even when they refused me the refund. This is unjust and not right that they would keep my money and the machine, how could this happen? Especailly from such a huge chain? What was I to do? I tried to get the charges reversed but found out later I couldn't because my bank says i can only make claims up to 60 days after. So here I am ripped off no sewing machine no money no help or response from the stupid company who took my money and the machine. If any knows what I can do please help!!! Thanks, I will never buy anything over 10 dollars again from Joanns, I would like to say never but there are simply no other stores within 40 miles that sells fabrics. They are Thieves. I would never tell anyone to make big purchases from them or online.

Va

Comments

• Cy
      4th of Nov, 2008

I feel your pain. But honestly, they do track the transaction numbers and it does look fishy when they don't know the person. (who's to say the machine wasn't stolen from a less strengent store?) Our stores get hundred of dollars of merchandise stolen daily, from the packs of beads all the way to home decor fabrics. And one of the more popular ways of getting cash from stolen merchandise is by copying receipts. Buy one iron(or machines, because the sewing machines were kept on the sales floor at my store), steal three, then return them with copied recipts to four locations, instant profit. That's why they started doing the corporate checks, so they could research the transactions on high dollar items. Yes, you were the honest one, but they can't tell. You tried a clever trick to get your money back, unfortunately it blew up in you face.

• Ro
      23rd of Nov, 2008

I had the same exact problem but with a huge bolt of Warm and Natural batting. The box was sealed, never opened. I didn't have the receipt and took a chance to return it. JoAnn fabrics accepted the return but told me a check would come from corporate offices. Over two months later I realized I never recieved the check. I called corporate and was spoken to rudely and treated like a criminal. They refused a refund and refused to return my merchandise. I called every single day for 6 weeks. With each phone call I was spoken to rudely and interigated. They were hoping I would give up. I spoke with my lawyer and he told me to record each conversation and if after 10 more days I recieve no satisfaction I should contact the Chamber of Commerce, the local newspapers and TV stations and file a claim in Civil Court (Small Claims Court). Finally I was issued a gift card which took another 2 weeks to arrive. I donated the gift card and I will never ever shop in JoAnns again.

9th of Jan, 2009

As an employee at one of their many stores, our sewing machines are kept and sold by a smaller store that is an extention of a larger sewing machine store all the way across town. so when you purchase one, you deal with them and not any joann employee at all.

• Su
      18th of Feb, 2009

i am a former employee of joanns which i was fired for anal reasons ...anyway the machines are in a smaller store inside of the joanns store they just lease the space from joanns ...the people that sell the machines have nothing to do with joanns

10th of Mar, 2009

If joanns takes merchandise from you and promised a check they should research it. However if they do not want to send a ck they should return your merchandise to you.

10th of Mar, 2009

Not that it helps but file a report with the BBB. A lawer will be able to contact you if they set a classs action suit.
    Make sure you keep the reciept that joann gave you . The reciept that states the amount they were going to send you a ck for.

30th of Sep, 2009

< I had a return problem. I returned 2 cricut cartridges that I got for a bithday gift and had not reciept. (These are caged and can not be stolen.) At any rate they took the cartridges and promised to send a ck. They never did.!!! Yes they implied I stole the cartridges. I filled a report with the BBB and they did not fix the problem. I am looking for a lawer to take on a class action suit at this time. File a cliam with BBB and I hope that the lawer I find will be able to help all those who have had a problem with joanns. Continue to blog !!!>>

Substitute the item and the same thing happened to me. Returned a gift, was accepted at the store, told a check would come in 2 weeks. The corporate refunds department did the research thing (many months of it) and can't find the purchase info. Fine, then the gift wasn't bought at a joanns (I never swore it was anyway, I said it was a GIFT). Well, corporate won't refund the money or return the gift unless I can provide a receipt to any store to prove that it wasn't stolen. Duh, if I had a receipt, I wouldn't have made the return without a receipt and endured all their stupidity.

Besides, this is America and I'm innocent until proven guilty. Joann should prove I stole this item or shut up and return it. Put up or shut op, Joann refund department. And find your own proof, don't ask me to find it for you by saying I have to come up with a receipt.

What a scam they have going there. Take the merchandise, give a worthless receipt for a check that's supposed to come in 2 weeks, and then keep the merchandise and the money that was supposed to go to the customer. I've been doing a little online research of my own and they do this a LOT.

File with the BBB in Akron Ohio (they're the ones that handle the area where the corporate offices are). Joann has an F rating -- big surprise -- so don't hold your breath that they'll do the honest thing and either return the merchandise taken by the local store or refund the money. At least it'll go on record, though.

24th of Dec, 2009

Your opinion doesn't matter you spelled thieves wrong and this thing has spell check OMG

5th of Feb, 2010

For all that have had a problem with Joann fabrics you need to FILE a complaint with the BBB . A lawyer is looking into it ! Thank God ! They will be hit hard for their disgraceful practice of taking merchandise from a consumer and not following through with agreements . They are in fact THIEVES ! And to those who don't believe an opinion matters it because they have a small small brain. NO BRAIN no headache !

• Mi
      10th of Feb, 2010

Here's a hint. If you don't have a receipt for an expensive item that you need to return but you know it was bought at JoAnn's and about what day, contact the store and ask them to look up a copy of the receipt BEFORE you take the item in. (Even if you have a receipt they may still have to issue a corporate check depending on how you paid originally). If you wrote a check you would be wise to also bring some form of proof that the check has cleared your bank. I realize that it's hard to maintain your cool when the person you're dealing with seems rude but try to remember that sometimes they're under pressure from the higher ups about giving refunds without receipts since this is a very common rip-off and also try to remember that you may be tagged as suspicious if they think you're trying to force things since this is also something the real con artists use to pressure them to give in. If all else fails, ask for the district manager's office phone number and contact them, they tend to be more concerned with customer service issues than a person manning a phone at corporate. (And please don't ever try buying the same item and using the same receipt to return them both, all other points aside the stores share information within an area and if they catch you doing this once you'll likely be out of luck returning anything receipt or no receipt.)

• Ro
      3rd of Sep, 2011

On July 14, 2011, I did a return NO receipt at the El Cerrito, CA store. The original purchase consisted of 4-5 purchases and I couldn't find the receipts.

I knew at the time, that I was going to purchase some Cricut products, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

The refund consisted of 32 items and the refund amount equaled $234.26.

I was told by the manager, HILDA, that due to the amount of the refund, they couldn't give me cash or store credit and that it would have to come from corporate.

In addition, the return receipt states, "your patronage is appreciated. However, due to the nature of this transaction, we are unable to issue payment from this store. We will issue a refund check in the appropriate amount within 2 weeks".

It is the end of August & I still don’t have my refund. I have called corporate SEVEN times. Emailed twice and no response.

I am not going to play nice anymore.

I hope you enjoy my complaint with the BBB and hope you enjoy my small claims suit.

• De
      19th of Nov, 2011

Seriously, it took you two months to figure out the machine wasn't working? Then you bought another one and then tried to return both on the same receipt? O K... no brownie points for genius there...
    Anyone that reads this: if you lose your receipt for a high ticket item, most stores can do a reverse look-up by the credit card you used. Also, to make it easier to get your money back- remember the date, time and which register you were on. Then the poor manager that would normally have to sift through thousands of transactions to find the one you lost your receipt for, can narrow it down to a day to look through and save precious time. Also any item over a certain amount without a receipt will most likely be issued a corporate check, which takes time to receive because they have to research and verify the items were not stolen. Believe it not, but theft is rampant at these stores and you wouldn't believe what some lowly jerks will do to make a quick buck if they find a chink to exploit.

• Th
      13th of Jan, 2012

so everybody is a lowly jerk or does joanna's discrimante everywhere and against everyone your lame and must be the kind of a stuck up rude b... well i wont say the rest but im sure ur smart enough to finish it off . . and i think its people like you who make these lowly jerks do what they do because they would like to prove how good they are at chinking and exploiting people like you to put them above those they see below them just because they mistakeingly lost a receipt . . your a very ignorant person and if anybody needs to get chicked i hope its you so you would watch whats said out of that bs whole in your face

29th of Oct, 2012

Don't buy from Joann's. Kids are slaving in China. DO NOT BUY FROM ### HOLE STORE AMERICA... THAT USES KIDS TO MAKE THERE STUFF

29th of Oct, 2012

i was in joann's and saw customers walking out the store with there stuff. You think I'm going to stop them... steal on and have fun they whey they treat the customers. Hey racine steal all you want too... they don't watch you...

29th of Oct, 2012

take Joann's to court... that's what they need... if everyone pull togther and don't shop so we can put them out!

• Ka
      27th of Jul, 2016
    Joannes Fabrics - Fraud and Misrepresentation
    Joannes Fabrics Klamath FAlls, OR
    Klamath Falls
    Oregon

Store is moving to new location and has been having progressive sale. Last Wednesday 10/3/12 90% off and I drove in for an hour and then merchandise couldn't be sold because it wasn't listed in computer. Employee at the register named Mary who claimed she was the manager said she could do nothing. I attempted to contact someone else with the store before leaving town and spoke with "Mary" again and claimed that someone would call me. Never happened. I was purchasing Dritz Zipper Role, there was 7 yards and 29 inches left in the box but the product code wasn't listed so it couldn't be sold. However, earlier when it was 50% off in the store it was for sale???????? Unfortunately they are the only fabric store we have in Klamath Falls so I will be driving father north to do my shopping for Linus Group and Quilting. Also, as a note an employee who was leaving they checked her ice tea container? Very sad and unprofessional.