Jitterbug / Terrible service!

1 P.O. Box 4428Carlsbad Del Mar, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-733-6632

I purchased a Jitterbug for my elderly parents. I was promised delivery by Dec 22, 2007 and was charged an additional $20 for such; obviously for Christmas. Didn't arrive. That is not the problem though. The selling point on this product is that is "elderly friendly". They promise a "helpful operator" on the other side of the zero key. I called, very friendly like, and spoke with Becky at 8:49PM on Dec 22 at [protected]. Oh My God! Becky is the LAST person I ever want my parents speaking to, crisis or no crisis. Mean Spirited is an understatement. Fortunately I paid with Amex so I will just dispute the charge and refuse it whenever it does arrive. If your parents are like my parents they just won't use it if it is an uncomfortable or demeaning experience; they are already shy to call for help as it is. If you need something you can depend on, it is not Becky at Jitterbug. I'm not sure what we're going to do about getting them a phone they understand and feel comfortable with; I hope there are alternatives. I do know it won't be Jitterbug, even if they gave it to them for free. False security is no security!

PS-FYI-If you try to find a real address for Jitterbug on Google, you will find there is not one. Only a PO Box in Carlsbad, CA with an incorrect zip code. You will find some vague links to GreatCall Inc in Del Mar California, but it doesn't have a real address either.

Comments

• Am
      3rd of Jan, 2008

I would have to disagree. I actually did something similar and bought a Jitterbug phone for my mother for a Christmas present and the experience couldn't have been better. I ordered the phone, and it arrived in time for me to give it as a present. I've since called the Jitterbug operators twice for various things, and every time they've been very helpful. My mom isn't great with technology so this phone was a great choice and we're more than happy with the result! She uses it all the time and is so thankful that I found her a phone she could use.

• Pa
      11th of Jan, 2008

I purchased a jitterbug phone for my elderly mother, and it didn't work out for her. It's not easy to use, and she couldn't hear a thing. One of the preset numbers was wrong, and I couldn't reach anyone to change it. I finally figured it out, but that's not the point. You can't reach anyone there - I don't think they actually have a customer service department. After trying every day, and hanging on at least 10 - 15 minutes every time, I reached a girl who gave me a return number and address.

I ended up returning the phoneafter 2 weeks, and I used the special number I was given. That was December 4. I never received a refund, a confirmation, and to top it off, I received a 2 month past due bill for service.

I really don't know where to go from here. If you are considering buying from this company, my suggestion is DO NOT. This is not a reputable company. This is Jan 11, 2008, and I am still trying to reach them for a refund.

• Im
      3rd of Feb, 2008

The phone service is horrid and the billing is not right. I have nothing but ill things to say about this company. The management does not seem to care a bit. Go with Verizon folks -- the service is at least reliable.

• Ca
      30th of Nov, 2008

I worked for jitterbug and I would have to say, they suck b/c the call center they work for sucks. The company never does anything for them. Half the people don't get updates about the service so they give out false information over the phone b/c of the supervisors. They want everyone to be perfect little robots, instead of human beings. Anyway don't hate the company, hate the ### call center.

• Be
      3rd of May, 2009

This is Beckie. The one who took the call for Mr. Suttles. I no longer work for the Jitterbug Company. However, I can assure you that the phone and the service were excellent. And just so you all know, the call was recorded and listened to by myself and management. I was not rude in any way to Mr. Suttles and he was completely out of line. He yelled at me before I even said hello, he was sarcastic and demeaning. He was angry because he had ordered his phone on December 23 and expected it to be there Christmas Day. All of our advertisements and representatives informed customers that this was simply impossible. So please, try to realize that the product is wonderful, it is an ideal instrument for the older generation or anyone who wants a simplistic phone. And the service was truly amazing. I knew the other representatives personally and they really do care about the customers and I know that I cared about helping my customers and their families. I am sorry that Mr. Suttles had an ill experience with me and the company, but this is the true story.

• Do
      9th of May, 2009

I haven't read all the complaints but I certain HATE Jitterbug. There service didn't work in my father's rehab/nursing home. I am sandwiched between my dad, my son, my work and am completely overwhelmed. I called on 3/30 and the sales rep talked me out of cancelling, mostly because she was so nice. She offered to change his service from the $84 per month to a $50 per month plan on the exisiting bill. She pointed out my dad could use the service when he was out of the home. After the twenty minutes, I had to run and pick up my son. I borrowed his phone and I couldn't get the phone to just dial -- it kept asking me if I wanted Voice activation or some ____!
    I could stand using the phone either and my father was confused. He's pretty alert. I then called on 5/4 thinking I would be able to negotiate a rate for the existing bill and figure out a lower plan -- but instead I was told that once a bill was printed, not even GOD can alter it. Come on, we all know if the right person asked they could manually adjust the bill at the very least. When I asked for the phone number to headquarters, I was told they don't have a phone number. I believe they wanted me to keep the phone long enough so I couldn't return the instrument, which is why the 1st rep was so accommodating. The 2nd rep (a supervisor) was really rude and I intend to follow this complaint through to the FCC, the California State Attorney's office, AARP and anyone I can think of. IF CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMPASSION IS IMPORTANT, DO NOT BUY INTO THIS PHONE! They didn't care that I am overwhelmed, that the phone didn't work or that my family is in a crisis mode with multiply diseases and little money.

• Ru

Carlsbad, CA 92008
    (760) 268-0400

• Ca
      26th of May, 2009

maybe its not the phone... its the operator.. it obviously works (ie: comment #1)

• Lo
      23rd of Jun, 2009
    Jitterbug - Charged our CC without OK.
    Jitterbug Cell Phones
    lorituttle@comcast.net

We was ordering a phone and it was so hard to understand the person we were talking to, we changed our min about getting the phone so we ask them to cencel the order and they said they would, but they did not. We foud on our credit card the order and a bill for the month.
    What can we do?

11th of Oct, 2009

Their address is: 1950 Camino Vida Roble in Carlsbad, CA

2nd of Feb, 2010

Jitterbug should be shut down for deceptive, if not illegal billing statements. They say it is impossible to tell the customer an accurate snapshot of how many minutes have been used because it takes 3 days to collect the info from other carriers.
    They do not provide itemized statements.
    Their customer service "Supervisor" needs to attend Customer Service 101 training sessions.
    The Jitterbug experience was an awful rip-off.

• Si
      3rd of May, 2010

They suck are nothing but liars-I was billed without my consent some 90 dollars against my credit card I have returned the phone and intend to complain to Attorney General. liars told me had unlimited calling features a lie!

• Si
      3rd of May, 2010

I only authorized 29 dollars and these crooks took and charged my card 154 dollars they claimed I talked 300 minutes heck liars I sent the bill andf phone back and called my credit and they took the charges off-then I get a bill for 154-all within last three days.Everyone should complain about this outfit if their is a positive comment has to been written by an employee .Even a former employee clearly states they are deceptive.Shut them down as citizens!

6th of Sep, 2010

In my mind, the glaring omission of the $35 activation fee is deceptive. Nowhere on the phone's box or enclosed literature warned of an activation fee, and even on the website there's no obvious mention of it! I figure that if they're falsely advertising by omitting the fee (apparently the fee is paid to Verizon for the service), how many other things will be conveniently omitted or false stated. Furthermore, their rates for a decent amount of minutes (300-500 per month) are not any better than the major carriers--so unless someone NEVER uses their phone except when their car breaks-down, why even consider them as a viable service? So, I'd prefer to pay about the same and get SIGNIFICANTLY more minutes and service, and mostly, upfront honesty.

• Le
      28th of Dec, 2013

I purchased a jitterbug phone for my dad in early 2012. he went into the hospital for an extended 3 month stay so i temporarily suspended the phone account. When i called them to reactivate, they told me i would have to purchase a new phone because they did not have the ability to reactivate my older model phone . This is complete BS. ATT, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint have no problems activating phones that are 2 years old. Jitterbugs policy makes their phones disposable and not reusable at all. We don't have money to purchase a second phone in such a short time span. Jitterbug will do nothing to help and offers no special discount for us to purchase a new phone. I feel jitterbug is a scam company and would not recommend a jitterbug phone ever

• Su
      3rd of Jan, 2014

My name is Sue Weaver, and I’m the VP of Customer Service at GreatCall, creator of the Jitterbug cell phone. I saw your post today and hoped I could personally discuss your concerns with you. I’d like to learn more from you about your experience so that we can resolve the issue for you. You may contact me at your convenience at GCCustomerSatisfaction@greatcall.com or by phone at 760-602-6700 and ask to speak with Sue Weaver.