Jetstar / departure

1 Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Review updated:

I am writing to report an incident that occurred during check-in for flight on 31/MAR/2009 between 9:00AM to 10:30AM in the Sydney airport Jetstar check-in desk and the customer service desk.

My name is KIM. I'm Korean.
I can speak English but It’s not perfect. Please keep until reading all done.

I was a passenger on my travel from Bangkok to Sydney (JQ30) on 15/MAR/2009 and Sydney to Bangkok (JQ29) on 31/MAR/2009.

This time was my first trip by Jetstar airline. My first impression about Jetstar airline was nice. I took your airline from Bangkok to Sydney (JQ30). I liked that every crew was kindly and made comfortable to me but it had broken by your crew.

I would like you know that I have been many countries, cities and airports.
So I have many an experience like this situation but I never complain to any company. I even thought that I reminding to me in the rule, for security, misconception, someone bad feeling or just unlucky.

However, this case is so different for me. Maybe you think that I got even a bad feeling. I checked that I’m wrong or not. Maybe happening is from Australian's culture. I visited or called many place include the Jetstar airline office in Bangkok and the Embassy of Australia. I asked their opinion that their said to me should connect to your company. Finally, I write down now a first complain letter in my life.

Let me explain to you..
On 31/MAR/09 I arrived airport around 9:00AM. I just went to check-in desk. But I couldn’t check-in. Check-in crew (after she) was not allow check-in. Main reason is I hadn’t air ticket a leave Bangkok. She said to me. "You have to buy a ticket because you have not a Visa" Simply she sad to me If I have not a air ticket for leave Bangkok. I can't go to Bangkok.

She recommended buy a ticket from Bangkok to Korea by Qantas airline after that refundable in Bangkok. If I can be a 100% money back to me. That is not a problem. May I buy and check-in. but she didn’t say to me about canceling fee. She said about 'Full refundable air ticket. So I asked about lost my money. Her answering was "Can you see? Qantas desk is over there.." I asked another questions about lost money and other way. But her answering was same. "Can you see? Qantas desk is right there.."
She didn’t try to even hear my questions.

And then She said to me "This is check-in desk, I can’t help you" And she said “Next!!” Maybe her meaning was shut up and go ahead to Qantas desk. I had to leave check-in desk for another customer...

I would like to know that why I have to buy ticket to leave Bangkok because I didn’t want to lost my money. I went the customer service desk and I asked same questions. There are close to the check-in desk at same area. And I told an experience about same case on other airline and airport. I have many times a passing Thai Immigration that I didn’t bring return ticket. In that time I didn’t show up a ticket.

My experience about I hadn’t bring a return air ticket.
- Seoul(ICN) to Bangkok(BKK) by Korean Airline on 31/OCT/2008
- Seoul(ICN) to Seattle(SEA) by Korean Airline on 29/MAY/2007
- Paris(CDG) to Bangkok(BKK) by Emirates Airways on 13/JUN/2008
- Bangkok(BKK) to Kualalumpur (KUL) by Thai Airways on 23/APR/2008

Specially, I had living in Thailand for 18month already. Thai Immigration interesting about who can leave Thailand. It’s not even air ticket.
Because, many traveler use to by way in-out on a border crossing. Usually, There is not bring air ticket for leave Thailand. (ex. Thailand - Laos, Thailand - Cambodia, Thailand - Malaysia. So, I can use by way Thailand - Laos - China - Korea or opposition)

Simply, Her answering was "It is rule"

So I was stop asking and went to buy a ticket Bangkok to Sydney by Qantas airline.(Qantas staff was so kindly and always smiling it made feel better to me)

May finished here I didn’t write down now. I met third person that was great. I got a feeling about racial discrimination.

I visited customer service desk again. I like to certainly understand that Why I have to spend money that I didn’t need. When I walked close to the customer service desk third person was look at me. She stayed alone. I asked for want to see a rule book. She was not allow simply don’t need. I asked again “I am your customer. right?” she said “I don’t know who you are. You just come here and ask….” but before she saw my passport and not allow check-in and first time when I visited the customer service desk that she stayed beside. So she saw me before.

But I didn’t care about that. I just interested about rule. I show up my Jetstar E-ticket. She saw my paper not over 2 seconds.(Meaning is She don’t need seeing my ticket) And told me about I have to buy a ticket for leave Bangkok. I bought already. I just interested about rule. And she said. It’s not airline rule. It’s Thai government rule. She suggested. I am going to near computer and search a Thai government web site. If rule from Thai government, how to explain before my experience.

I still can not understand why I have to buy a leave Bangkok ticket. I couldn’t understand her English because her speaking was so fast and many sentence. I could hear even a “go to computer and surf the internet”. I asked “Can I recording your voice explain for understanding” She was look so angry and she said “You can’t any recoding…. It’s illegal”. She look at me like that I’m a criminal. Actually, she was a scary me. I asked her name but She gave to me only “SIM” I asked full name. She said “I don’t need to give to you” and I asked “I am your customer. right?” She didn’t answer again. I asked again “why don’t I get your full name?” She shout for another customer “Can I help you!!!” with smiling. That customer was not arriving at desk. after that, She didn’t look at me any more. I just look at that she talked with another customer. I felt that I was not stand there. So I even could to do leave a Jetstar customer desk because I’m not customer.

I met a three Jetstar crew in Sydney. No one said to me “Can I help you”, “I’m sorry”, “Can you…”, “Please…” and I couldn’t see any Smiling.
Also, my questions met with disregard and they are arrogant toward me.
Everybody higher then me and nobody thought that I’m a customer.

I still want to know that…
- Why couldn’t I hear an exactly reasons.
- Why couldn’t I hear “Can I help you. Can you, Sorry, Mr, etc…”
- Why are they even too self-importance to me (for other customer was so kindly).
- Why couldn’t I see a smiling? (Maybe I am yellow monkey)
- Why had I to spend my money. Is it what kind of rule and where are from.
- Is it normal in Australia?
- Are your crew unlike a Korean or racial discrimination?

At Bangkok airport, I didn’t show up an air ticket for leave Bangkok and I was passing safety. I didn’t need. I just lost my money for canceling fee.

I write down that I try to make simple. In true, there are have more action. If you want that I can tell you more.

I am waiting for your answer.
If you don’t any reply, I will try to get answer using another way.
I hop so that when my friends ask to me about Jeststar. I would like to say ‘It’s nice airline’. Thank you for reading.

KIM

Ki

Comments

• It
      17th of Jan, 2009

Adelaide to Sydney. I purchased a ticket from Adelaide to Sydney on the jetstar website. In order to reduce the waiting period at the gate, I checked myself in on the Internet the night before and I had the boarding pass with me. Unfortunately, the flight was departed 10 minutes earlier as schedule and I was told that they did not wait for me because I did not check in my baggage (I had only hang carriage) and they could depart anytime as all the passenger are on board. As a result, I had to re-booked for another flight the day after and paid for it. I felt it was absolutely unfair as I had to re-booked the connection transport from Sydney to Home, and also the attitude of the Jetstair's manager was totally terrible.

This is a very unorganised airline company as they can change the departure time anytime as they like in terms of they can postpone the departure time (I experienced twice previously without notice and without informed the duration of waiting period) or take off earlier without notice the passenger.

I would not recommend Jetstair to others at all... and I definitely would not chose to flight with Jetstair anymore and all my friends do so...
    Totally disappointed with the system of Jetstair as well as the customer service.

• Tp
      12th of Jul, 2009

Doesn't work that way Tang.

Jetstar asks that passengers be at the boarding gate 25 minutes before scheduled departure. All passengers are presented with this information when you book your airfare, when you webcheck, and when you are emailed your itinerary.

Jetstar policy is that at 8 minutes before scheduled departure, a passenger can be deemed as "fail-to-board" and removed from the flight. The 8 minute time frame exists so as to allow for changes to the loadings of the aircraft. Usually around 25 minutes before departure the pilots make important calculations as to the aircrafts center of gravity, how much distance they need to take off, and how fast the aircraft needs to be going to become airborne. These calculations are made using the weight of the aircraft, weight of fuel on board, weight of freight and cargo, and how many passengers they plan to have on board, divided into groups of males, females, children and infants. If one of the passengers that the crew have planned on being onboard then doesn't show up, those calculations need to be made again so that the aircraft can safely take off, and these calculations take around 3 to 4 minutes. It then takes around 4 minutes for the aircraft to be readied for departure (ie, passengers seated, doors closed, stairs/aerobridge removed, engines start, chocks off, taxi to the runway).

As you can see, there is ALOT of work that goes into getting a plane away on time, and alot of re-working is required if passengers don't show up. So, if you are late, you will (and should!) be removed from the flight, in order to give the aircraft the best chance of remaining on time for those passengers who have done the right thing and been at the gate at the right time.

Jetstar either has to inconvenience you for being late, or inconvenience the other 180 passengers who did the right thing. It's only fair that you were the only one inconvenienced dont you think?!

• Ms
      7th of Aug, 2009

You poor thing.
    Jetstar are usually nice, but next time try and take QANTAS. They are excellent, always smiling and nice.

• Ra
      11th of Aug, 2009

I have had the same predjudicm with Jetstar and I am Australian.
    I was told that I was late for Check in even though my flight was departing 2 hours later. I was asked to pay for another ticket and I demanded an explanation why as my flight was due to depart 2 hours later and I knew I was early. She said that flight had been cancelled and Jetstar had emailed me the cancellation and attempted to call me. The flight they had put me on was in fact taxiing down the run way.
    When I told them that was not my fault and I demanded a later flight they told me the flight I had already paid for had left and I was to pay again. I started yelling and the Jetstar staff called security who threatened to have me arrested. I tried to make a complaint with other airlines and the airport and was told to take my matter up with Jetstar. I had to fly out with Qantas and I have not recieved a refund on a flight that was cancelled without my knowledge

• Je
      11th of Oct, 2010

I have had several problems with JETSTAR but still continue to fly with them because of the cheaper tickets.

Their customer service I can 100% assure you, yes there is racism. Also it's not just Jetstar when it comes to politeness and arrogance. All airlines have humans operating them and we all have bad days BUT JETSTAR are always hire 'LOW QUALITY' staff who have no respect for their passengers whatsever.

Every complaint I have made to JETSTAR has come back on a letter with a $100 gift vouvher attached to it. Why can't they just bloody start hiring professional people!!! and professional trainers!!! my very last complaint was the worse, and theonly one that was not dealt with. Me and my friend were waiting at check in, I admit we weren't early but we were not TOO LATE either. A mother with her family were in front checking in on the EXACTLY SAME FLIGHT as us. They let her go and her family check in, but when it came to us, the very last 2 passengers in the line, they said NO. We had to pay a whole new ticket with Virgin Blue.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE on NOT LETTING US CONTINUE TO OUR FLIGHT AND THEN LET SOME AUSSIE PASSENGERS GO. we are also Asian. What does that say JETSTAR?

• Je
      11th of Oct, 2010

AND ALSO, YES THEY GOT SECURITY TO COME AND SEE US, 2 POOR YOUNG ASIAN FEMALES WHO ARRIVED EXCITED TO THE MELBOURNE AIRPORT ABOUT A THAILAND GETAWAY, THAT TURNED INTO AN UNFORTUNATE DISGUSTING ARGUMENT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SO EASILY PREVENTED.