Jennifer & Brian Burke / Bird Cage

48 Manitoba StGuelph ON N1E3B9, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:
3.35
Phone: (519)780-1059
I was contacted via telephone on June 10th by a woman, referring to herself as 'Jenn' in response to a want ad for a bird cage that I place on May 10, 2008 at our local news paper’s website.

Jenn inquired if I was still looking for a bird cage, and that she had two different styles fitting my specified dimensions to sell me. She also stated that she had a shipment ready to send to BC this same evening, and that if I was interested to let her know right away so she could get the cage out with the same shipment.
When I asked Jenn how much she wanted for the bird cage, she said $150, when I inquired about shipping costs, she said shipping was included. I asked Jenn to send me pictures and/or a website to my email so I could view the cages. Once I received the email, I discussed the purchase with my family, and decided to go ahead with the purchase. The remainder of the transaction was complete via email communications.

I requested to pay via paypal, as I felt a sense of recourse should the deal go sideways. Jenn said she did not have a paypal account, and all of her other customers paid via email money transfers or western union. I expressed concern about sending funds using those methods. Jenn then contacted me via telephone, and was to send me references from other customers who had purchased from her. While she was searching for references I searched her phone number online, and it came back to a "J Burke" and her email header showed as a "Brian Burke", so I felt comfortable enough to proceed.

Once I sent payment in terms that we agreed on, I received on last phone call from Jenn asking for the password. Once I provided that password communication has diminished and a valid tracking number has not yet been received.

June 20th, I phoned and left a message with a woman who sounded like Jenn, however she said Jenn was at work and that she would be back in an hour. I called back later that morning, received voice mail, and I left a message requesting a return call, which I have not received.

June 20th, I filed an online complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, at: Https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx. I also faxed the same complaint to the RCMP - Kitchener Detachment.

I have filed a complaint with the Guelph City Police and have also filed a complaint with 'recol'.

As of December 3rd, I have not received the bird cage, I have not had my money returned, nor have I received any communication referencing any of these terms.
Vi

Comments

Ba
  12th of Dec, 2008
i too was taken by these scammers and believe me there is no doubt in my mind. lets just say i could almost write a book on near 50 emails sent to them and what is really ironic is they used the same excuse for me as they used for others. excuses like i was on vacation, i wasnt near a phone, i sent your cage out or i will refund your money. my brother drove to guelph and picked up the cage considering he was going that way otherwise i wouldnt have gotten it unless we drove down ourselves. the cage was really something from having no screws, broken cup holder, broken wheels, it was bent, damaged, the perch was the wrong size and on and on and to top it all off it wasnt the cage i ordered in the first place. this couple are just the worst scamming people i have seen. so far and this is only the ones i know of there is a bunch of us i have been in contact with. jennifer and brian burke, what goes around comes around and you will get yours. we should all make a forum and compare notes and have a bashing party.
Si