james river software / Fraudulent product

1 Richmond, VA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a software product called key finder from this company and downloaded online to my laptop. I had lost the product key to my cyberlink DVD program and was getting ready to install a larger HD in my laptop and needed the key to reinstall the dvd program. After installing and running the keyfinder program I saw a list of the keys for several different programs on the laptop including the key for the xp os. Well the key for xp is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop and that key sure didn't match the one keyfinder showed. When I went to install the new HD none of the keys provided by keyfinder would work. I contacted james river software and after a week they responded. They gave me some bs story that I might have a problem if I didn't use the original program discs.I emailed them back that I had used the original discs.After another week they responded and asked me to send the log files from the keyfinder program.I complied and it's now been two weeks and still no response. This so called software company is poor at best and a complete scam at worst. If you have any dealings with them be prepared to throw your money away.

Ma

Comments

25th of Mar, 2010

On 1/13/10 I purchased ErrorFix by ClickBank. They advertised this Malware as free. So I proceeded to try it. After they had scanned my computer, I was told that in order to Fix the problems on my computer, I would have to purchase their software. So, I did Purchased it for approx $54.00. After my purchase of this false product, they found no problems. It was too late then. I had lost $54.00 for years 2010, 2012, 2013. I asked them to give me a refund for years 2011 and 2012 since I did not need these 2 years of their product because it did nothing for my computer this year. The 2 year refund woould have been approx $20.00. Do you think they would have given me this refund as Good Will? No, they did not. I told them that because they were in my opinion unfair, I would tell the computer public about their policy so that no one else would fall for their Act. I ended up purchasing AVG. This is a GOOD PRODUCT!

Hopefully, This will Help Other Persons from making the same mistake I made. I will never buy anything else over the Internet.

Marie

• Me
      6th of Apr, 2010

Hello,

As the owner of James River Software, I can tell you retrieving product keys with our software is a quick and easy process - for most. However, as with any software, some people have problems.

The problem you had with your Windows key is this: when you order a laptop from say, Dell, the computer manufacturer will use what is called an "image" to put the operating system on multiple computers at once. This will cause the product key on your laptop sticker to be different from the one that was actually installed.

As for your Cyberlink DVD software, did you submit a CD Key Request? We offer a service to manually retrieve product keys that are not found automatically by our software. We have to offer this service because their are millions of software titles out there and not every one can be detected by Keyfinder.

Also, did you submit a request for a refund to us or Paypal? We happily refund the price of Keyfinder if you are not happy with our product key retrieval service.

I regret that you had this experience, and I will admit that we have had staffiing issues in the past that have caused some email upsets. I have remedied those problems now and ensure that future email requests will be honored in a timely manner.

At your service,

James River Software

19th of Apr, 2010

The only problem with the "image argument" is that i had reloaded xp on my laptop about a year after I got it and used the key on the bottom of the laptop, so that was the proper key that your software couldn't find.I sent numerous emails to your company and no answer.I requested a refund from you and Paypal. No response from you and paypal said they couldn't give me a refund. So what now?

• Te
      15th of Jul, 2010

Hi,

I'm always amazed at how people can call software fradulent or a scam when it doesn't work. Sometimes, software jsut doesn't work on certain computers because of a technical problem. Just submit a refund request. Or better yet, read the license agreement before you buy it.

• Gr
      23rd of Jul, 2010

I could not disagree more. I purchased J.R. KeyFinder and it found my Windows OS and my MS Office keys in an instant. More than that, they were the same keys that came with my OEM Windows OS CD Key. A perfet match. I agree with techie4565. Some programs just will not work right on some computers. It is not the owner's falut and surely not the software's fault. No software program can run on the multitude of computers out there. I am sure someone at James River can fix your problem. I am fortunate in that I have had no problems with most software. My computer is home built and it handles programs easily. I'm sure yours will too. Just give it a chance. Good luck to you .

• La
      29th of Aug, 2010

I have a HUGE problem with James River Software. I purchased, for $50, the email marketing pro small business edition. I have tried everything to get the emails to work, but for some reason they go into the Queded category and never actually get sent anywhere. I set up the SMTP and linked everything up.

The simple fact is that the program will not allow the emails to go through!!! All emails are stuck in the que!!!

The problem is that there is NO tech support at all to help . Their help is no help at all!!!

James River Software is a BIG FAT SCAM. Do not use it!!!

Not only that!!! I did sent several Emails to the seller and did not get a respond!!! I ask for the money to pay back- no respond!! So be warned, save your money and do not buy from them!!!

• Ct
      5th of Sep, 2010

DONOT BUY E-MAIL MARKETING PRO PROGRAM, IT DOES NOT WORK. NO SUPPORT FROM JAMES RIVER SOFTWARE, I CANNOT GET A REFUND!

• He
      18th of Oct, 2010
    james river software - cancelation
    Herb Cole

Oct 19, 2010

Right after I placed the order I attempted to cancel immediately. did not download or use the information.
    I have been trying for 3 weeks to cancel unsuccessfully.
    I had ordered 'key finder 2010-special offer item # 1111' and 'key finder package deal' item # i22 or a total of $24.90 on your recommendation
    as yet i have had no acknowledgement of the cancellation
    herb Cole