Jaguar / Faulty Gear shift mechanism

1 3000 Richland Avenue, NO, La 70002Metairie, LA, United States
Phone: 504-455-2101

We have a 2002 S type Jaguar. We complained about the gear shift locking up in 2007. We were told there was no problem detected after a test drive was conducted. Later, in 2009 after serious repairs were needed, the service department reported that the gear shift needed reparing and there was a bulletin alert on the part for the mechanics not for the customer.

We were also told that our car was now out of warranty. We paid to the work and was told that there was no recall on that part. We were instructed by the service departmet when parking on an incline to apply the emercancy brake frist before placing the vehicle selector in park, because the shift will lock up from the weight of the vehicle. Now the shift is starting to lock up again. It appears as though this is going to be an ongoing problem. I think that there is a problem with the part. I advised another customer of the problem and he took his S-type in and they upgraded his vehicle at no cost. May be he had a warranty. He said it was a faulty part and he thanked me for the early warning.

My complaint is that the parts must be faulty if you have to apply the emergancy brake before you place the selector lever in park. This act is not covered in the operators manual and is unsafe for my wife to perform. This step does not seem normal for an automatic transmisson maybe for manual transmisson with a clutch.

Mr. Paretti is wonderful; however our complaint is against the service department and the Manufacture. The address is 3000 Richardland Avenue Metairie, Louisiana 70002

I am Arden at [protected] and Judy at [protected]