JacobsParts Inc. / Awful experience

In June of 2008, the AC adapter for my Toshiba Laptop failed. This wasn't exactly a surprise as in my experience, everything from Toshiba has a VERY short life. As I looked through Google for a new adapter (Toshiba had already stolen enough of my money with all of the out of warranty fixes I needed, and there was no way that I would shell out another 80 dollars to them if I could help it) when I came across Jacobs Parts Inc.

I decided to get my charger on their Online store. It worked fine until a few months later when I went to Australia for the summer. Both the website and the text on the adapter said that it could handle the switch from America's 110V power to Australia's 240V's. Sadly when I got home, I noticed that the case now got Extremely hot while charging the laptop. About 300 degrees...

After the case began to melt from the heat, I decided to call them up. I got their voice mail at 2:00pm PST (Their Time). I left a voice mail and got a response about 5 days later. When I talked to them on the phone, they told me that the problem was a frayed cord on the adapter. They told me that this was my fault for EXCESSIVELY MOVING MY PRODUCT AROUND! I didn't realize that the charger for my portable laptop, was in fact, not portable. So, long story short, the charger has now entirely died and I am left without a laptop until I can find a new charger. I will definitely not buy from Jacobs Parts, knowing that their warranty does not cover damage from excessive movement.

Be

Comments

• Gu
      17th of Apr, 2009

I would like to comment that I also ordered a JacobsParts adapter that went bad. Although, I did not travel with mine (but can't say I was soft with it) it simply stopped working (it actually made a noise and died with a pop a week or two after I bought it). I gave them a call around noon and talked to a customer service agent and I was impressed with how they fixed my situation

I think his name was Tommy or Bobby or Johnny or something. He was rather apologetic. Then informed me of recent employee turnover issues due to problems with customer service. He actually disclosed to me that he was a newer employee because of previous problems with answering the phones during business hours. (I do have to say their hold music is anything but pleasant, and I was waiting for about six minutes.) Regardless I received my replacement adapter in 3 days and it has been working ever since. I will definitely order from them again-- for the price and customer service (I personally experienced), it's all good in my book.

I've worked in customer service before, and was rather taken off guard by how unscripted his responses seemed to be. Plus he told me they're based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, and it's nice to talk to someone who's not based on the other side of the world.

-Gus

SUPPORT OUR TROUPS!
    My Laptop: Acer 5315
    BriteOn/JacobsParts Adapter: JP-90-0D

• Gu
      17th of Apr, 2009

I was meaning to Disagree with your original complaint. Sorry, I've dealt with bad companies before, and I disagree with you about JacobsParts. They treated me quite well.

-Gus

SUPPORT OUR TROUPS!

• Ti
      27th of May, 2009

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! If you do and get screwed don't say I didn't warn you!

I have to say, I've never purchased from them before but I needed a pc part bbadly, and after dealing with them..I never will again purchase from them. #1, I should have known that a product that normally goes for over $60 everywhere else was less than half at their store, #2, they mislead you on shipping/charges, #3 they have THE worse customer service ever! RUDE ! I would steer clear of them and go with a department store you know like bestbuy or target, at least you can easily return an item. I just dont know how these people stay in business!!!

• Br
      6th of Oct, 2009

Im on my 3rd power cord from them I have been extra careful, , I asked for a refund, , Im tired of sending in and paying shipping. I was told it is not my computers fault, , by a tech and the pwerd cord are not even new Im so pissed. 3 cords since the begnnineg of summer.

• Br
      6th of Oct, 2009

i meant by a tech locally not from Jacobsparts. I m waiting to hear from them

• Kr
      5th of Feb, 2010

I also got an adapter for my laptop (HP dv9000).
    Actually, I've had -four- adapters from them. This time I'm asking for a refund because I'm tired of paying for shipping.
    The first lasted a month, the second only a day, the third a week, and this last one two weeks.
    I -know- it's the adapter because when I plug it into the outlet (any outlet, I've tried all of ours) the light on the adapter blinks.
    I doubt they send out new ones, so I've been putting a dot of clear nailpolish on the side, so if you get one with that then know that it doesn't work!

• Mr
      27th of Apr, 2010

I had a similar experience. Replaced the adapter three times, then I used it the replacement with a different computer and no problems at all. Strange.

• Jp
      1st of Feb, 2012

We placed an order for a pci sata raid card and they sent a pci wireless card. The invoice had the correct item. When I called them the worker was very polite but had to ask the manager. The manager said that they can refund the money or ship another one that would take several days to arrive. I had vendors committing mistakes like this one and they overnighted the replacement because they care about keeping clients. I look at this as a very poor service because of our deadline and because now I'll have to look around town for a card. This was all using Buy.com.