ITS / Scott McKenzie / Fraudulent inducement to enter a contract

Denver, CO, United States Review updated:
I would like to make everyone aware of a company based in Denver that engages in fraudulent inducement to enter a contract.

ITS Family of Companies, a.k.a DBP Executive Search, McKenzie Scott, Job Market Access Center, Americas Job Network, Career Transitions and USA Job Market with address 7979 E Tufts Avenue Parkway, Suite 1400, Denver, CO 80237 and telephone number [protected], has a long list of complaints against it filed all over the United States because it is Internet-based.

ITS bills itself as "A Better Way to Find the Right Job" and "The Professional Job Changing System."

It created "technology's first breakthrough in the job hunting field...our fully guaranteed service can make job hunting much easier saving you weeks and months of time and helping get you a far better job than you could ever do on your own."

They represent themselves as former HR Directors IT Directors and Marketing Directors for Fortune 500 companies who know the job hunting market and its requirements very well having done "tens of thousands of campaigns." People are told they can only reach 10% of the job market on their own. ITS reaches 96% because it has access to the hidden (non-listed) job market and emerging jobs. The process is as follows:

Develop a Marketing Campaign: The client is assigned a Marketing Campaign Director to write cover letters and resumes tailored to each client. "Our plans are normally targeted at making your phone ring at least 25 times. That's the key to getting 3 or 4 good offers to come through at the same time."

They identify the client's strengths and transferable skills, downplay liabilities and build the client's appeal in new industries to increase marketability. Fact: The unique marketing materials are boilerplate, standardized documents. The marketing plan is merely a computer generated regurgitation of the information the client provides.

Distribution: The cover letter is faxed to 10,000 employers, recruiters, venture capitalists, board members and decision makers. "We place your credentials with your best and highest probability prospects." The client is encouraged to read press releases of various companies to identify lead opportunities (this is the hidden job market) that have not been posted as job openings and send the cover letter and resume themselves. Fact: The database distribution is not updated and the materials are sent blindly to employers who do not solicit them. Moreover, the client has no way of knowing how many distributions were actually sent.

JMAC: A subsidiary of ITS, it is an online service that purports to find every single job posting on the Internet making it easier and more efficient for the client to look for jobs. Fact: JMAC pulls job listings from only a handful of other websites such as Monster, HotJobs, etc. that the client can access for free.

ITS provides all of this for an up-front fee of thousands of dollars. They offer the following guarantees:

"We back every step of our service with the strongest possible guarantees. For anyone we accept as a client, this eliminates any risk... placing all the risk on our firm and how we perform for you.

These include an unconditional money back guarantee on every marketing plan...

...an unconditional money back guarantee on the resumes we create for you...

...an ongoing satisfaction guarantee regarding everything we present...

...and a performance guarantee if you don't get a suitable situation within 90 to 120 days.

We provide these to make sure that our worldwide clients are totally comfortable using our services."

An Internet search of keywords McKenzie Scott+ITS+complaints yields thousands of complaints filed and posted by people from all over the United States.

All of the complaints cite the company has grossly overpriced and underperformed on their service, continues to misrepresent the capability of such service, and does not keep service commitments.

Moreover, they allege a bait-and-switch practice that is very common at the company to induce clients to sign the contract. All of the complainants received less than 1% return on the distributions and when they asked for a refund, they were told none would be offered because the satisfaction guarantee only entails a new distribution and marketing campaign make-over.

I believe the fraudulent inducement pertains to the money back guarantee. Monies are refunded only if the client does not approve the marketing materials BEFORE they are distributed. How are these people to know if these materials will work and get them interviews? They are encouraged to trust the "professionals" at ITS. The timing of the guarantee ensures that ITS' poor performance will not be challenged and no refunds will be given.
Va

Comments

Me
  5th of Jul, 2009
I have used ITS and JMAC and I know of 2 other friends of mine that have used them too. My overall experience was great and there's too (my friends)for that matter. Sure, it's not cheep, but when I compare myself to the other people that got laid off at the same time I did from the same company. I'm in a much better financial situation than most of them I know... I actually ended-up in a higher paying job with better benefits.

If you are looking for a company to interview for you and get you a job while you sit at home watching soaps, then ya better save you $$$. But if you are looking for someone to showcase your talents and give you a rock solid game plan... Ya need to give them a call. And trust me when I say I was very skeptical at first... But they did for me what I was not able to do for myself. And, I'm not just talking about getting a job... I could have done that. They helped me with my career. Again, I know people that got laid off at the same time I did and had to take a crappy job because they didn't get the kind of offers for jobs they were interested in.

I have recommended ITS/JMAC for several people... Most have not done it. My guess is the cost. But every person I have recommended them to and they have done it... They are very pleased – Because they are in a job that they like and making good $$$.

Good luck, I hope this was helpful...
Cl
  4th of Aug, 2009
I couldn't disagree more, as I had a failed experience with ITS and their processes. The executive bio (additional fee) was awful and poorly written. The e-mail blast were not targeted and I received less than 1% return. Through the entire process that they extended for 3 months netted one interview and a low paying position.

I spent nearly $13K, had a vary stable work career with my last two positions being VP of Sales and President. I was guaranteed a similar position within 4-5 months, without relocation and at the same or high compensation. I spent 4 hours a day sending out personalized resumes to targeted list they provided.

My assigned account manager was changed as the process wasn't working and I heard from the second one less. These guys are all smoke and mirrors and expensive.
  19th of Aug, 2009
I normally don't comment on these things, but felt the need to on this one. I couldn't disagree with you more. I used ITS for my job search and have been more than pleased. With ITS I found the openings I needed and got the job. I had not interviewed in 20 years and the interview training was invaluable for me (especially with their SOAR stories). Having these anecdotes ready during the interview was absolutely essential to a successful one. I couldn't have done it without the services of ITS and would recommend them HIGHLY to anyone in the job market today.
Da
  16th of Nov, 2009
ITS SUCKS in the worst way, after 10 months and multiple distributions of a poorly written resume I never received one phone call or email from anyone interested in me, the above 2 people who said they had a good experience at ITS MUST STILL WORK THERE and are not clients. ITS IS A SCAM, the above comments by Joseph B are dead on accurate. Any body who spends money with ITS is a fool, and they are counting on fools like you, in desperation to fork over a lot of dough for something you can do on your own. Go to the big job boards Indeed.com job.com even the fee paid sites like The Ladders and Excunet these are better than anything that the"JMAC" can offer you. All these services are a scam and ITS leads the pack. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO ITS OR ANY OF IT COMPANIES!!!
Cl
  6th of Jan, 2010
I am glad I checked out this company BEFORE I laid out any money. Their sales rep has been calling and putting the pressure on to get a deal done.

By the way, look at the spelling, grammer and writing style of the first person posting about his good experience with this outfit. This company gears towards high paid executives. This person it definitely not one. I would guess this was written by an employee of ITS- JMAC.
Dg
  13th of Jan, 2010
Thank you all for the time spent on reporting your stories. I'm glad I checked this out. I will not be using JMAC.
Jn
  26th of Jan, 2010
I was just contacted by a representative from JMAC today stemming from an apparent request I made to have my resume reviewed. When the rep called and told me who they were and why they were contacting me, I didn't have any recollection of visiting their website.

I watched their web presentation, and even as I watched it, I felt it was too good to be true. Afterwards, I was even more skeptical since it didn't even hint at a price range for their services...saying that their clients found their services "surprisingly" affordable. Sensing from the comments above, I didn't think their services would be cheap. Thankfully, all I have lost on this is a little time spent with the rep on the phone, a little time watching the presentation, and an electronic submission of my resume.

I am scheduled to have a more in depth conversation/interview with the rep tomorrow in which I'm required to have internet access. It should have been an immediate "red flag" to me that he could meet with so soon saying that he had a couple of cancellations to free him up.

Thank you to all who have commented and validated my suspicions as I am now armed with a little more information when I talk with the JMAC rep tomorrow. It should be interesting.
Pa
  11th of Feb, 2010
JNick, how did it go? I ust watched the movie myself... Please reply!
Lb
  18th of Feb, 2010
I just spoke in depth with a representative from ITS a few hours ago. He made me feel that maybe this is the way I should go. I have been out of work for almost a year and I know that I have been doing all I can. I have connections, I network and I have a great resume. I don't know where else to turn in this market. I don't know how much this service is as I will be getting my quote sometime this weekend. I wish they had a money back guarantee regarding their belief that their candidates will be placed with 90-120 days. I'd really appreciate some more thoughts on this!!
Ji
  18th of Feb, 2010
LBS17...don't be to hasty...there are other options and you will find something. I've been "in talks" with a brett hoyt for over a week...seen the internet stuff(lot's of bling)...still not sold unitl i see the price which will be tomorrow. This guy is slick! I just did a google search and as i can see from above, i have some serious doubts now. I never heard of a head hunter or a recruiter that dosen'r recieve a fee from the employer. I would HOLD OFF.
Ac
  8th of Mar, 2010
Looking for some more comments on this company.
I have been discussing the program with one of their "principals", and frankly felt the gun to my head when I would not commit without time to consider the final cost of the proposal. However, the system seems solid, and I could use the help in more clearly defining my objectives and polishing up my presentation.

If it costs me $6K to reduce my search by a month, that would be a very worth while expense.

I am looking for some more alumni to give me a little more on their experience.

Help.
Sh
  2nd of Apr, 2010
I'm also looking for more comments in this company. I have a second meeting next week with one of their sales people and I would like to know what to expect. I was also sent several reading materials, one of which was a booklet which contained nothing but testimonials. Please help.
Oa
  30th of Jun, 2010
If they must keep changing their name then they must be bad news. Simple. Obvious. No brainer. Slam dunk.

Duh.
Ec
  13th of Jul, 2010
I found it odd that in all of the collateral and even in the representative's email signature I could not find ANY actual name for the company until I stumbled across this discussion. It does seem to good to be true. I appreciate the comments on here because it has helped me decided not to choose this option. At this stage in my career I think the best investment if finding a search firm that employers believe in and and pay the fee - that is truly a a real placement network.
Be
  14th of Jul, 2010
I am somewhat leaning towards this company is not all that. Like the previous blogger stated. Where is their name on their literature. A real company puts their name and logo everywhere, they do not hide it. So, I have decided to take the $ 5, 500.00 that the salesman quoted me and apply it towards a professionally written resume and cover, and post it on legit job boards, and find career coaches who can train me how to better interview, once I get the interview. Also I believe that an excellent written cover letters to the right CEO's or VP's, can be an effective way of opening doors for us as well. In short, I will not give them my money. My biggest concern is why are you not willing to take say a small down payment and the balance due after take place you in this great job. I would gladly pay. Why? My representative said that most of his clients are not motivated. I have been looking since last November 09, until now July 10. I am quite motivated. Please reply anyone who has recently used their service and was happy.

GO Bears!
Wi
  28th of Sep, 2010
I just wanted to chime on this discussion. I really had a great experience with this company.

The team and the resources were outstanding. The services were on time, on target, and developed for my career needs and requirements.

In my case, I switched industries with the help of uncovering my transferrable skills. The professional resumes and websites were awesome.

Gina, my coach was knowledgable, accessable, and helped maximize all the tools provided.

The services are not for everyone, but if you are willing to put in the effort, I would recommend them.
To
  12th of Feb, 2011
I was contacted by the "VP". I should have known to run back out the door when I arrived for the appointment and was greeted by a help desk that represented many, many companies. I should have listened to my gut. If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.
Fortunately, I was able to receive most of my investment. I was charged for the "professional resume" ($ 350) ..which was interesting as I had my resume professionally done one week before I was recruited to JMAC/ITS services. The "VP" said that it stunk and basically made me feel as if I couldn't survive without their services. It was only when I sent a note to the AG that they were interested in talking to me-after I had gone through the contract with a fine tooth comb and found hundreds of "ly" words and realized what I had gotten myself into. When there are too many adverbs...Beware!
  8th of Jul, 2011
Not familiar with Americas Job network or McKenzie Scott. I am familiar with Advanced Career Technologies in Denver. There is a small percentage of clients that are unhappy with the service. However, my personal experience with ACT along with the positive references of those with successful experiences far out weight the negative comments I have seen on this site.
I have found so far, a high sense of professionalism and a constantly improving system focused on the stated goals as indicated on line and in the brochures and videos of ACT.
I have seen some numbers expressed on this site that are not consistent with what I have seen. The fees have been reduced and when within context are reasonable.
Finally, I have seen many more positive testimonials than I have in comparison to the few unhappy individuals as expressed on this site. I do not intend to denigrate their experience however, I do think bottom line is that ERI/SET that exist today is a reputable firm.
  8th of Jul, 2011
By the way, it is clearly stated in the clients agreement that the unconditional money back guarantee must be exercised (requested) within ten days after the 90 day period if the client has not received a suitable offer. If exercised pursuant to the agreement and the money is not returned, there is a legal remedy for the client.
This opinion is not intended to be legal advice.
Hd
  2nd of Aug, 2011
Count me in as their latest victim. I wished I found this site when I talked to them. The problem was they presented themselves as SET so I googled SET and nothing came up. Only after I signed up that the JMAC came up and by then it is too late. The posting above accurate and completely describe the fraud that they perpetrated. Please add SET and also NewCareerOnLine to their family of chameleon names.