iTravel2000 / Warning to other visitors!

A copy of email to iTravel2000:

Dear Mary, Public Relations at ITravel2000,

I am writing to express my deep concerns with the vacation that I took last December through ITravel2000. I hope that you will take the time to review my concerns carefully, as I think that they are important and not only represent my own story but should also serve as a warning to other visitors.

I arrived at the hotel Marea del Portillo on December 14th, 2006. This was my third visit to the hotel in the past couple of years and I have always found my stay here relaxing, enjoyable, and comfortable. I was therefore looking forward to the same experience on my week-long stay at the hotel. However, on December 15th, 2006 all of this changed. Between 4 o’clock and 5 o’clock in the afternoon my digital camera was stolen from my room. This could only have happened either in the 10 minutes I was gone from my room during this period or in the time it took me to have a shower, during which I would not have heard someone enter my room. The loss of my camera is of course extremely upsetting, but my concerns extend beyond this material loss.

I believe that the theft of my camera is indicative of a greater problem at the hotel. During my stay I heard of several other thefts that had happened around the same time, leading me to believe that my story is not an isolated occurrence. The direct possibility that the theft of my camera occurred while I was in the room is a truly scary thought. The only people who could have gained access to my room would be those who could by-pass the electronic key card system. Adding to this, I was shocked when I found that the electronic key to my room 217 also opened room 215. This realization made me realize that the sense of security offered by the electronic key cards was absolutely false. All of these realities points to an obvious lack of security in the hotel which needs to be addressed immediately.

I also have serious concerns with the way that hotel management responded to my report of theft. I immediately notified hotel management, in particular Julio Naranjo, about what had happened. After asking many questions (some of which were definitely not important or relevant), he said that he would change the codes on my room and also check the records for the electronic key cards. I never heard back about the results of this investigation. The police were called in and I spent several hours compiling a police report. The management did not seem overly concerned with the theft of my camera or with the obvious general security problems at the hotel. I spent much of my vacation inquiring about the status of the investigation. This obviously affected the amount of time that I could spend enjoying the vacation I was supposed to be having. The person in charge of public relations at the hotel, Alvares Naranjo, would repeat again and again that she would have to wait until the police report was completed to take any further actions. I was also promised a copy of this report, which I have, unsurprisingly, not received. Mrs. Navajo did not seem overly concerned or willing to take the necessary steps to address my problems.
To this day I have not heard back from the hotel in regards to my camera or my security concerns. I am attaching a letter that I sent to the address given to me by one of the hotel’s managers, Julio Naranjo, which was returned because of an incorrect e-mail address. I am myself a manager at a hotel in Canada and I know that this is not the appropriate or responsible way of dealing with customers. I feel that hotel management is ignoring my concerns, and by doing so has shown disregard not only for my own safety and security but also that of other guests. It is sad and disappointing that my vacation at a place I knew and trusted was ruined both by the actual theft as well as the lack of concern shown to me by hotel management. The Marea del Portillo hotel has lost my respect and appreciation, and I will certainly inform other travelers about my story. I would very much appreciate any help that you could offer in resolving these issues, any further steps I can take, or any other input you may offer.

Sincerely,
Danuta Piekarzewski

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to
connect successfully to the destination mail server.

director@marea.co.cu
mytravel@marea.co.cu

From: Danuta P
To: director@marea.co.cu
Cc: mytravel@marea.co.cu
Subject: Stolen camera
Sent: December 28, 2006 9:31:49 PM
Dear Julio Naranjo,

I am writing because it has been a week since I departed from your hotel. As you are already aware, during my stay here my digital camera was stolen from my locked room, an occurrence that is simply unacceptable. I spoke with you about making reparations, and you told me that this would happen once the police report was completed. It has now been a week and I have not heard back from you, which is also unacceptable. If you need more information about the camera I can pass it along with an acquaintance who is arriving on January 4th, 2007.

Thefts in a hotel leave visitors with an extremely negative impression of the hotel. I know for a fact from speaking to people that the theft of my camera was not an isolated occurrence at the hotel during this time. I recommend that you seriously look into the more general problem of theft, as this would no doubt have an impact on whether or not people choose to visit your hotel if they were to be made aware of this.
I am awaiting your prompt reply in this matter as we discussed while I was staying at the hotel or I will be forced to consult others about what further steps to take. Please send your reply to dpiekarz@toronto.ca.

Sincerely,
Danuta Piekarzewski

Comments

• Pa
      4th of Dec, 2008

Would you still happen to have Mary's email address?

• Mi
      14th of Feb, 2009

These people are totally without scruples, they will knowingly sell ticket that are invalid for the purpose for which they were purchased. Left stranded in the Middle East and had to purchase a new ticket for the return despite making it perfectly clear to the agent selling the ticket that the itinerary should be flexible. Anyone purchasing tickets from these people should exercise extreme caution

13th of Mar, 2009

I too was ripped off . In my opinion i travel 2000 are rich because they know all the loopholes. My wife and I purchased 4 tickets to Aruba in late December 2009. We were going to take my parents with us, as they have never been on a trip like this ever. My mother is disabled and needed a special room. I travel did help us set up an accessable room. I guess with the anticipation of flying my mother had another stroke. Her doctor did not advise travelling. We did not purchase the insurance because of my Mother and Fathers ages and health the insurance would be too expensive. We had to make some quick decisions. We were trying for a few days to fill the spaces for them. We finally talked my brother and his fiance into taking a FREE trip. They agreed finally. We were initially told by I travel it would cost an extra 200.00 to change the names on the tickets. After several phone calls to I travel the amount in excess was 2700.00 We could not back out of this. Our agent we spoke with was unavailable. Customer service agents are like robots who can only answer questions based on a manual. Needless to say, a trip worth almost 6000.00 cost 9000.00 They really took advantage. I wrote to the customer service manager and was not satisfied at all. My wife and I work for a large company with over 8000 employees. I will make it my mission to let everyone know how corrupt this company is.

• Ar
      25th of May, 2012

It's a terrible company. I booked 3 tickets from Vancouver to Shenyang, china through itravel2000 agent. She told me that the reservation completed with the price showing in the itravel200 website and she sent me the invoice # and booking #, but she didn't send me the invoice document. Next day, I asked her to confirm the total price. But, she just send me the itinerary document and I found that it doesn't have any cost information. Then, I called their customer service and one lady told me that she can send the invoice document to me immediately. 5 minutes later, that lady called me and told me that she couldn't send the invoice document and your original agent will call you later to explain the issue about your invoice. I was waited for more than half hour and got the call. She said that your reservation couldn't go through due to the supplier not having a contract with airline booked your tickets. Nothing they can do. I asked them why your website is showing that you can sell the flight tickets provided by that airline if your supplier doesn't have the contract with that airline. The manager of the customer service told me that they cannot control this. It's a very unhappy experience! Please don't book your vacation through itravel2000. They're not honest and provide the fake information, then try to cheat the customers.

• Sy
      18th of Sep, 2018
    iTravel2000 - reservation
    Canada

i try to use my credit i have after i cancel my firts trip

simplu an awful service !!! Imposible to use it