iTalk communications network / Rip off / scam

1 Inverness, Scotland, Highlands and Islands, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 01997433363

I was conned into having italk as my phone company by false promises. I cancelled in april after 3 months overcharging by them. Later, they said my cancellation was rescinded externally (Alleged, no proof) worse was to follow. Notwithstanding the fact that i cancelled, and that their "service" was for calls only, and i was the only person in my house for 6 months, and i am a man of few words, they are now trying to get £517 from me! They even include a charge for september, a month after they themselves say the "service "ceased. Basically, they are lying about the entire matter. None of their figures are real. Figures have simply been "snatched out of the air", and the entire bill is a fabrication. They even phoned today pretending to be bt and falsely alleging that the £517 owed to bt! They will use any sly conniving sneaky swindling tactic to try to get peoples' money. I wish they would take me to court so that i can expose them to the adverse publicity they deserve. They are a bunch of scamming fraudsters, and it is long past time they were stopped. Be warned, don't sign up with italk, they will rip you off, and if you cancel, they will find some way of charging you an extortionate amount of money for nothing. I think they must only employ staff who have no principles, otherwise they would not work for such a slimy no - good bunch of criminals. If you have been ripped off, make it public, and if they are trying to rip you off, refuse to pay and make online complaints like mine. We can bring them down if we all fight them together. My next step is to go to the police to make a formal complaint against them for fraudulent business methods for which they already have a record in the usa.

Comments

• Ve
      22nd of Nov, 2008

THIS OUTFIT (I-TALK) DEMONSTRATES A CONSISTENT "TO HELL WITH YOU" ATTITUDE WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO CALL AND GET THEM TO RECTIFY A PROBLEM.
    A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE PURCHASED THEIR DAMN SERVICE AND WAS UNABLE TO MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS WITHIN SEVERAL DAYS OF ACTIVATION. SHE WAS OVERSEAS AND I REPEATEDLY CALLED THOSE ### AT I-TALK EXPLAINING THAT THEIR CUSTOMER WAS UNABLE TO USE THE SERVICE. I ASKED THEM — SEVERAL TIMES, DURING SUCCESSIVE CALLS — TO TELEPHONE MY FRIEND (THEIR PAYING CUSTOMER) AND RECTIFY THE PROBLEM. EACH TIME THEY PROMISED TO CALL "RIGHT AWAY" AND DID NOT CALL. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE AND TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. I AM ADVISING AND URGING MY FRIEND TO DO THIS, HERSELF! THESE MONEY-GRUBBING ### SIMPLY WANT TO BILL AND COLLECT MONEY . . . THEY DON'T GIVE A S**T ABOUT SO MUCH AS COURTEOUSLY RESPONDING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! A LOUSY, LOUSY, DISGUSTING, INCOMPETENT RIPOFF OUTFIT, IN MY EXPERIENCE. ATTORNEY GENERAL/BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU/FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. THESE ### WILL HAVE TO SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE WHEN PROPER AUTHORITIES CALL THEM TO ACCOUNT FOR THEIR REPREHENSIBLE, UNETHICAL MANNER OF DEALING WITH PEOPLE. GO GET 'EM!

6th of Jan, 2010

Exactly. They will shamelessly find wired way to charge you after your contract expired. I was just charged 100 $ after a year contract and I told them I canceled my contract. They told me the phone call to cancel my service was not enough. Plus the phone can't call any number after my contract was up.
    I quite tolerated with their poor audio quality and didn't expect they have more stuff under their lousy services.

• Dc
      14th of Jun, 2011

Italk UK have tried to sue me on 2 occasions, both times they have lost, and has been struck out of court over a contract that I never agreed or signed upto. However, and here is where this really angers me, they have been putting defaults on my credit profile ever since, even though the matter was struck out of court on 2 occasions. I have now involved the Communications Ombudsman who are investigating my complaint, and for which will cost Italk £500 as the Ombudsman will charge that to them for the complaint. They are for sure the most terrible communications company to deal with, they are arrogant, lack communication skills, and there own legal department have no idea about the law. It most amazes me how companies like this are actually in business. They are a complete failure.

• Ku
      2nd of Mar, 2013

Italk communications where do I start?? My mother law who is an 82 year old lady lives on her own has a heart condition and other health issues who is currently on new medication which could have serious side effects so she needs her phone in case she is taken ill and needs to contact anyone, But her phone line has not been working for the last two weeks we have phoned italk every day sometimes twice a day to find out how long it is going to be till the line is restored at first we were told it could be three days possibly up to five days. But all we keep getting told is they are working on it. It has gone from a simple line fault to an underground fault to a fault in the exchange, From engineers to technicians you would think with all these people working on it they would be able to get a simple phone line working but no as of yesterday Friday the first of march they have still not repaired the fault and cannot tell us how long it will take. Every day they have told us they will phone with an update but we are still waiting. We lodged a complaint with Ofcom regarding this problem then we received a phone call from their ceo of the complaints department which I missed by one minute I called her back several times over the next two days only to go on her answer machine where I left a message each time for her to call me I am still waiting. So we have now contacted BT to go back with them we cancelled her direct debit with italk she then received a letter informing her of the charges she will incur for finishing her contract early ( eight months ) This contract was taken out over the phone nothing was signed If there is anyone who can give us any hints on how to sort this problem out we would appreciate your help. As the worry is making my mother in law ill I am totally disgusted with italk so when they tell you they are sorry they are not when they say they understand they don`t they do not know how to tell the truth and they do not give a ### about any one.
    Concerned son in law

• Ia
      2nd of Mar, 2013

The same thing happned here. Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA TelemaTechs ripped us off. He took our money and run away with it. BEWARE of Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs residing at Guzman Street, Mandurriao Iloilo City, Philippines. Phone number: +63 915 345 274.

Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs is running a scam from the Philippines. Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs will take your money and run with it.

Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs has a fake address in a run down building in the US: 610 S Coronado, Los Angeles, CA 90017.

Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs has a fake (magicjack) phone number in the US 310-894-9615.

Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs will not even run a campaign for you or your company. All Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs does is give you lies and excuses..
    ** Our company got called by Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs and sold us on 30 appointments for $1, 400 in a month.
    ** It has been now almost six months and Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs did not deliver any appointments.
    ** Ian Tumbos AKA Matthew Spencer AKA Telematechs is no longer taking our calls nor answering our dozen emails.
    ********** BEWARE OF THIS TELEMARKETING SCAM ***********************************

• Sp
      23rd of Sep, 2014

Although ITALK have may not have a right to charge customers figures 'snatched' out of the air. They are not the only telecoms company of course who do this. However, if you are being charged a sum of what they have asked you have plain and simply broken the contract and every telecoms company will charge some sort of amount. They will find a large figure to charge you, normally this is just a scare tactic.BT are the worst for it. ITALK is a VERBAL contract and it is mentioned several times throughout the call, you are given a two week cooling off period the same as everyone else. Obviously I cant condone a few of the comments above, as I don't know the full story. It is a legal requirement at the end of the call that the adviser read to the customer "You are aware that ITALK is a separate provider, you will not continue to pay your current provide ... for the line rental and calls" How can they pretend to be another company with this question? The young lady I spoke to who set me up on a package was very efficient and helpful. She actually saved me a great deal of money as well. I have never had to ring customer service so I cant comment but I find it interesting when people feel they have been conned, They are regulated by off com the same as everyone else so take it up with off com.

3rd of Oct, 2014

ngvring the 14 day cooling off period I called italk and told I had changed my mind and wanted to stay with BT. The lady was very polite and asked me why and i told her i had changed my mind. She then passed me over to some rude, obnoxious man called Dave. Dave got really snotty with me saying he was just giving me correct information. I said i wanted to cancel and stay with BT. He decided to argue with me so i hung up.

• Ke
      10th of Oct, 2014

This is a latest bill my elderly father received from italk ( he can't even remember signing with them from bt ) he has cancelled his contract with italk but this is a parting shot from italk the number concerned is the local Drs surgery this is from his house phone

They are still trying to collect on the direct debit which has been cancelled at the bank but they continue sending letters and charging him £7.50p for unpaid direct debit take a look at the calls and let me know what you think

Thanks Kevin

• Ke
      10th of Oct, 2014

Sorry it won't allow me to send photo of the bill

• To
      3rd of Nov, 2017

@Kevin 186 Ouch, those charges are obscene!

• Mi
      13th of Jan, 2015

ITalk contacted my elderly relative 5 days after his partner of 20 years passed away. He was interested in their deal and asked to see some paperwork and a contract. They then without his knowledge of permission switched his telephone over from his existing server and the first he knew of this is when he got a letter setting out the details of the direct debit payments. He wrote immediately telling them they he did not want a telephone service from them, all he had wanted was written details so he could assess their charges and make an informed decision. He heard nothing, and wrote again. Eventually he got a phone call from iTalk. They insisted that he had signed up with them and had a verbal contract. They informed him that he couldn't cancel it without paying charges. They have mentioned wildly different amounts. They now appear to be phoning on a daily basis Pressurising him for money, threatening to cut him off, etc, etc. I am disgusted with iTalk. Their actions have caused a grieving man, already in poor health, to become very worried and upset. He has not let us help up til now, but he has now agreed to place the matter in the hands of a solicitor. He has told iTalk this, repeatedly, amd given them the Solicitors details, but the phone calls persist. In my humble opinion the people at iTalk who have been handling his file are ###. I plan to report them to a regulatory authority as soon as we get the matter resolved.

• Do
      23rd of Jan, 2015

This sounds very similar to my mums experience with italk, our bank manager is currently battling with them, and the citizens advice bereau have opened a case against them. italk have the most vile kind of staff, I would hope that more people ditch them and report them for ripping off vulnerable elderly people, I am currently writing to the Ofcom ombudsmen, and considering sending this story to journalists, bbc rip off Britain etc, I would advise everyone who has been caught out by italk to do the same,

• Ju
      11th of Feb, 2015

My 82 year old mother who is also vulnerable received a call from iTalk. Luckily she put me on to talk to to the caller and did not give any details. He said that as her phone bill was over £30 per month they could reduce it. This fact is false. When I asked who he was and his company he accused me of being very aggressive. I asked for him to send us some details in writing and he said he could not do this until we had signed up. Once signed up they would send all the details through and "we would have a two week cooling off period - God forbid that we might want to cancel! " I asked why he couldn't send details in writing and he replied it would be a waste of money. At this point I told him there was no point in continuing with the conversation and put the phone down.
    Although my mother did not give any details I am now concerned that there might be repercussions from this call.
    Why can't our politicians doe something about these scavenging immoral vultures instead of bickering amongst themselves all the time!

• Kd
      11th of Feb, 2015

I had a cold call from italk uK and initIally was very Interested as was assured the only difference in our combined tv, phone, broadband service would be our provider . I did have a 2 week cooling off and written brochure sent with details of our deal. This helped as it showed slow broadband speeds as italk use ADSL not fibre optic connections which our current provider uses. As such I called to cancel with italk and got a better deal with BT . Having heard above I will ensure my direct debit is cancelled. Not impressed with italk re not asking about nature broadband connection as it wasn't like for like as they led me to believe . So far though they seemed to accept my cancellation and did provide written information as to details of the contract .

• Da

Hi
    Can anyone help me with cancelation charges from iTalk?

An iTalk sales man somehow managed to charm me into making the switch from BT to iTalk with the promise I would save at least £30 a month when in fact I was paying almost double. (I fell for it.)
    I cant help but feel like I was being ripped off after receiving my bills from iTalk. £53 in the second month and £70 in the third and I rarely use my land line if ever. These figure just don't make any sense.

I decided to go back to BT and now iTalk are trying to charge me a cancelation fee.
    Are they within their rights to do so? Do I have any ground to fight this charge?

Kindest regards
    Darren

• Bl
      21st of Mar, 2018

@Dazza01 Yh I am

• It
      2nd of Apr, 2015

Hello,
    I use to work for one of Italks contact centres, it isn't exactly a con but the company targets elderly people to sign up to the packages customers prices do get increased and we are forced to do hard sales, effectively the customer believes we are there current provider then we explain to them we aren't, we just work on the same line ( so they still think we are the same provider) DO NOT GO FOR ITALK stay with the large providers !!!

• Ti
      9th of Apr, 2015

i am having problems with italk at the moment asking me for
    £86, 80 for cancelation fees as i went to back with bt they keep ringing all the time when i have no money i am on benifits and get carers allowence for lookin after my autistic son they are now saying if i dont pay the money i owe they take me to court my partner has seen the letter and he can tell they are a big con from heidi brooker in lincolnshire

• Lo
      16th of Apr, 2015

Cold called by "Oli" 16 April 2015 who said "you have not registere yet for your free calls". "What free ca calls?" I ask. After asking four times what company he was from, he said iTalk. I simply told him to delete my number, that this was an unsolicited call (I am on call barring for the little it is worth) and hung up. A scam.

• Bl
      16th of Apr, 2015

My mum was contacted by this company today, 16/4/15. Believing they were from my BT, my mum agreed to sign upto this cheaper plan and unfortunately gave her debit details before realizing it was a different company called italk. Upon hearing about this I googled the company and found this page. She has since called them back and told them to cancel it as she wants to stay with BT, from which they hung up on her so I can only hope the cancellation will take place and nothing will get changed. I have advised her to make sure the direct debit is cancelled with the bank, and will see if any paperwork gets sent out, tho the cancellation took place within an hour of signing up and she is well within her 14 day cooling off period.

• Bi
      22nd of Apr, 2015

I've just been scammed with them too and I'm 43. They've just got very ### with me telling me that the complaints online were in 2010 and everything is better. That the complaints actually were against a company in the USA. Hadn't found this page then but had been emailed a link by a friend who had overheard my conversation saying that openreach will never contact you and the link he sent was a complaint in 2013. Since stumbling onto these comments I've called them and cancelled which led to the abuse to me and against BT, (They're clearly on commission). I've called the bank and put a block on my direct debits too. Steer clear me thinks. :)

• It
      8th of May, 2015

My 92 year old grandmother was cold called yesterday despite being registered with the TPS (telephone preference service) by iTalk Communications. The women (Charlene) was so persistent that after more than half an hour she agreed to whatever she wanted, just to get her off of the phone. iTalk (we believe) have switched her into a contract that is more than twice the cost of her current contract (~£30 to £61.23) and left her shaken, confused, scared and unsure of what she had committed to. We phoned her current provider (TalkTalk - who were very helpful), they informed us that iTalk were well known for this type of scam. They have put a flag on the system so that when the request comes through to change the provider it will be denied.

We will be contacting Ofcom and the TPS (http://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/).

If anyone can provider any other or help, please post here, if not, hopefully this information is of use to others.