Ismail Elsherif, D.D.S. / Professional charges for services not sought, required or received.

1 4550 Lark Ellen Avenue, Suite 104Covina, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (626) 331-8041

My name is MARY J. CASTELLANO, 76 years old, retired, weak and suffering from various medical problems and physical limitations. I make the following Statement under penalty of perjury.

On February 14, 2009 I went to Pearl Dental Care and Cypress Dental, Dr. Ismail Elsherif's office, and asked the dentist to fix only one loose cap and re-cement and secure it back in place -- nothing else. The dentist and his staff proceeded to give me X-rays and take impressions, about which I actually wondered but could not do a thing as I sat on the dental chair, thinking that all the procedures were probably necessary for the Dr. Elsherif to fix my one loose cap. I did not know. I did not go to the dentist often. Later I learned that Dr. Elsherif's office charged my credit card in excess of 1, 100.00!

Doubtful that I really needed all the X-rays, impressions, etc. for my only-one-loose-cap problem, I went to Personal Dental Service/Lidia A. Mendoza, D.D.S., General Dentistry, at 974 North Mountain Avenue, Ontario, California 91762, on June 9, 2009, complaining only of and needing my one loose cap secured. Without much ado, Dr. Mendoza simply re-cemented and secured it in place and charged me only $160.00 for her services. I have not had the same problem since.

MY COMPLAINTS AGAINST DR. ISMAIL ELSHERIF AND HIS OFFICE:

So among my complaints against Dr. Ismail Elsherif and his office are: (1) They charged me $1, 100, at least, for "services" not sought, required or received (specifically, for instance, Dr. Elsherif's purported letter to my credit card company dated May 27, 2009 claims I was "anesthesized" which I vehemently deny) ; (2) Dr. Elsherif did not first explain to me the procedures, and need for them, nor did he first obtain my full, informed consent to whatever procedures he claims he did; and (3) Services which might have been rendered and procedures done were NEITHER REQUESTED NOR EXPECTED and, now I have concluded, UNNECESSARY for the only reason I consulted him for: to have my one loose cap re-cemented and secured in place.

My attempts to dispute what I consider as Dr. Elsherif's inappropriate and improper charges and payment made by my credit card company to him have been to no avail. I will pursue my efforts in this regard and seek full refund.

MARY J. CASTELLANO
4009 Bresee Avenue
Baldwin Park, California 91706
Complainant

Comments

• Dr
      15th of Feb, 2010

My name is Dr. Ismail Elsherif and I am the Dr. whom Mrs. Castellanos is filing a complaint against. I would like to clarify her complaints, step by step:
    1. Mrs. Castellanos came to the office on Feb. 14, 2009 with her crown in her hand (tooth #11 crown). It is a policy in my office that we start off with a complimentary full mouth exam and xrays for all patients to be able to fully diagnose any problem.
    2. The problem she had was not only that her crown had fallen off, Tooth #11 had broken and needed a root canal, post and a crown to fully repair the tooth. The crown did not just fall off, it had broken off.
    3. After explaining to the patient the full extent of the problem and the charges she aggreed to the treatment. At the end of the dental visit Mrs. Castellanos decided to pay with a credit card and signed the credit card slip. (Nothing can be chargedd in our office without the credit card being present and the patients permission and signature)
    4. Patient was contacted numerouse times to come in and have her crown delivered/cemented. Patient never responded to phone calls.
    5. About 8 months after the first visit patient contacted the office and asked for a full refund of her treatment. My front office staff and my self explained to Mrs. Castellanos that we had enquired expences for the materials and the lab fees to prepare the tooth and manufacture the post and crown. We settled by mailing to Mrs. Castellanos the post and crown and reimbursing her $250 that she asked for to cover the cementation of the post and crown and the fee she had assesed with the office she had visited.
    In conclusion... Mrs. Castellanos complaint is completely out of context and very much exagerated. I am an honest dentist and have a good reputaion for being a respectfull and honest Dr. to all of my patinets and everybody.