Island Importer / Bad service

184 Clear Creek Dr #2Ashland, OR, United States Review updated:
Island importer is simply bad company.

I was a groomsman at a wedding several weeks ago. We were trying to make a decision on if we had to order one more outfit at nearly the last minute for a really expensive price and we called them. They acted like they could definitely get the item there, but the day of the wedding it turned out they had miscommunicated with UPS and it was never shipped!! Now that it was REALLY the last minute, we had to go out and hunt around for like clothes. MISERABLE.

They sent us two confirmation emails, but both had wrong tracking #s!!

This basically ruined photo sessions for them.

BEWARE This company, they have extremely poor customer service and were rude when we first explained what had happened to them on Monday (two days after the wedding because there isnt a phone number to reach them on weekends!). After they were rude, and we responded back, they simply stopped responding at all and didnt refund anything for the initial clothes.

Honestly, just an overall disheartening experience. I would have just gone to the mall to pick up matching clothes, but they sent me two confirmation emails saying it shipped and told me over the phone that it was coming!
Va

Comments

Is
  17th of Oct, 2008
David,

We understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience again but we did ship the order and it should have been delivered. I feel that UPS let both of us down and unfortunately for us, they can simply claim “adverse weather “ and we have no recourse for action. We simply have to eat the shipping charges to ship the item to North Carolina and back. This being said, we did ship your original order on time and we do not normally offer Saturday delivery as it is a rare request and hence we are not open on Saturdays. It is really unfortunate that we tried to do a favor for you and now you are trying to blame us for the fact that you forgot your original outfit. You can take this story to the BBB and I will be astonished if they do not tell you that you are wasting your time. I find it even more amusing that you can use your 4 year old son as an excuse but offer no understanding to others in regards to mistakes or oversights. As far as the other outfits in the wedding, they were all delivered correctly and on time as was your original order. We have not done anything fraudulent or in any other spirit than to try and help with the wedding as much as we possibly could. We sincerely hope you realize this is simply an unfortunate situation for everyone involved and we wish both you and the bride/groom the best.

Narayan

Island Importer
Da
  17th of Oct, 2008
Funny enough, this is actually the exact same response I got from them Monday morning when I was back at home! Hilarious that they couldnt even take the time to reprint their response.

They overlook the issues in this response and they deflect all blame as you can see. Its my fault because I forgot my clothes and its UPS' fault because they couldnt get out there.

What they dont acknowledge - and NEVER have - is that it is THEIR FAULT I had no idea what was going on the entire time! They sent me 2 emails comforting me and saying that "the item had shipped", including tracking #s. I had PLENTY of time to drive to a store and get matching clothes on Friday, what I didnt have, was that time on Saturday morning when the item never got to my hotel.

The emails were lies as both were voided as you explained on Monday. The true email with the correct tracking # was NEVER sent to me. I wasted valuable time on hold and fighting with UPS over the not one, but TWO incorrect tracking #s you sent.

All the while you still claim you did me a FAVOR??? This whole time, you were nowhere to be found. What kind of favor do you friggin mean? I PAID ALOT of money for saturday shipping, and you F-D it up!

Not only did you send incorrect information, but you have no store hours whatsoever on weekends. As a company that caters almost exclusively to weddings, do you think that makes sense? Weddings are on weekends!

The point is - you all are run out of a cardboard box in Oregon. You do not have the customer service, or competence of any reputable store, and hopefully now people know it!

Thanks!
Ro
  4th of Feb, 2011
David,
Fyi: Due to Hurricane Ike, UPS was not delivering any package to North Carolina that weekend. I guess you didn't consider that. I and others I know have found Island Importer's customer service to be outstanding!