iRobot/Roomba / No Warranty for New items bought on eBbay

1 IL, United States Review updated:

I bought a NEW Roomba 560 from an eBay seller. I register the product in the company site and the site says its covered under warranty until November 2009. When I contacted the customer support about a battery issue, they are saying that the item is covered under warranty since it’s bought from eBay. They are pointing me to a policy section in their site to show me that it’s their policy.

If that was their policy, they shouldn't be saying that it’s not covered under warranty in the registration page.

The customer service people are not ready to listen. They keep telling you the same thing over and over again and again. If they found a discrepancy in registration and their policy, they should be taking the responsibility and honoring what is posted in the registration form.

Now, they lost a customer for ever.

iRobot/Roomba

Comments

• Do
      11th of Mar, 2009

I'm experiencing the same problem with a new unit purchased from eBay. I went through the same steps, registering it with the serial number and receiving confirmation that the warranty expires in December 2009. After I requested service for the side brushes breaking off, the automated response system stated that my item (a new side brush) had been shipped. Then 2 days later I received an email asking which eBay seller sold me the Roomba. When I replied, they immediately wrote back and stated that eBay sellers are not authorized resellers and therefore the warranty is invalid (the website still shows that my warranty expires in Dec 2009, BTW). The link they directed me to has a warranty policy that does not mention 3rd party resellers at all. The only 2 requirements to be eligible for the warranty, according to their own policy, are that the item was purchased in North America and that it was less than a year ago. Smells like a class action lawsuit to me.

• St
      7th of Jan, 2010

It boils down to you purchasing from an authorized reseller for your warranty to be honored. I purchased a unit from an eBay seller (Otter Creek Trading) and I called for service. It's important to first ONLY mention the seller's name before stating you purchased the item on eBay. This will prompt them to reference their approved dealer list rather an assuming it was purchased from a private party or non-approved seller. The rep I dealt with looked up the seller I purchased from and informed me they WERE an approved iRobot reseller and promptly replaced my unit at no cost, and very much hassle free. They did eventually ask where I purchased the unit but even when I said eBay they said it was fine as the seller I purchased from was one of 2 sellers also approved to sell on eBay. So I guess there is an exception to their eBay warranty policy and your warranty getting honored depends the seller you purchase from.