iolo - System Mechanicsubscrition - renewal

1 Review updated:

Last year I bought a fully functional copy of System Mechanic Pro 8 from iolo llc.
For the past two months I kept receiving notices from iolo saying that I should pay them so that I can update the program.
Since I did not want to update the program (updating is useless) I did not reply back.
Suddenly I noticed arbitrary charges to my credit card from the above company.
These charges were made without my approval !!!.
I protested to the company saying that I don't want to update the program and I only want to use my old copy.
The company said that they will remove the charges ( I am not able to confirm that yet) but they destroyed may features of my old program !!!.
This is called BLACKMAIL in my book !!.
EVENTHOUGH I BOUGHT A FULLY FUNCTIONAL COPY OF SYSTEM MECHANIC PRO 8 THEY RENDERED MANY FUNCTIONS OF THAT PROGRAM USELESS SO THAT I GIVE IN AND PAY !!!.
This policy is called FRAUD with capital letters !!.

El

Comments

• Su
      Jun 19, 2010

Iolo system mechanic is HORRIBLE!!! it actually slows the system down and CONSTANTLY performs "fixes" even if you have had NO activity on your computer. I paid the $60 for tech support to help fix the problems and they spent most of their time PRESSURING me OVER AND OVER AGAIN to participate in the $300 per year subscription for remote tech support and system cleaning. I repeatedly told them that I would not invest $300 until I was sure the $60 fix would actually help (which it did not.. my computer runs the same or worse than it did before they "helped me") I REPEATEDLY instructed them that I would be using my EMPLOYER'S DEBIT CARD and could not authorize a charge without his approval. They did not yield to this in understanding but rather continued to encourage me to make the charge anyway. I do not know if this was willful encouragement to commit fraud or merely a HUGE communication issue due to 2 individuals with 2 distinctly different accents trying to communicate with each other over a technically complicated topic.

I have uninstalled the program and my computer starts up fast at the windows start-up again... and despite ALL the problems the mechanic CONSTANTLY found on my computer that would bring my computer's performance to a cripplingly slow pace ... SHOCKINGLY the computer seems to be managing just fine without the worthless Mechanic 9 program slowing everything down.

as an aside.. an interesting frustration with Mechanic I found is that if you enable "Active scanning" your computer will take about 20 minutes to completely defrag almost every time you re-start your computer (even if it claims the computer is only 10% fragmented)

don't waste your time or energy with this ATROCITY of a product. I am going to do some independent research to see if there are similar programs that perform better and has customer service and tech support that actually SPEAK and UNDERSTAND english.

Why would ANYBODY in this world practice customer service like this? If someone from India had a tech support problem, would he want to talk to customer support or tech support from America or from Ireland where they would have trouble communicating PROPERLY to the company or PROPERLY UNDERSTANDING the company's communications with them? ... so why do americans CONSTANTLY have to struggle with this?!

I have wonderful friends who are from India, and THEY AGREE that they would never ask for my help or try to help me with something technical and complicated where there could be a lapse in proper communication that would not facilitate a proper resolution. That is simply putting profits over practicality. [censor]IC

Jul 27, 2010

System mechanic is nothing but trouble and so is the company and their tech support. I paid for their 3 use CD and installed it on two of my computers. Ever since I have had nothing but problems with it. For instance, I keep on getting SMsystemAnalizer.exe has stoped working. I called them and they sent me an email showing step by step what to do. Well, I spent an hour and the problem only came back again the very next time I booted up my computer. I googled this problem and there are many other folks having the very same problem.

I called tech support again and they sent me instructions to remove the entire Iolo folders and gave me a link to reload the program. Since some of the things they told me to do involvedd the registary this really screwed up my computer.

I called tech support once more and spoke with Mike Ford, in tech support. I found him to be very nasty and sarcastic, and refused to help me so I asked to speak to his supervisior. He told me that I couldonly speak to himself. Iagain asked because I now wanted to file a complaint, but he said that he would file it for me (Yea right) he is going to file a complaint against himself?

I then called costomer service and told them what had hapened and I was finally able to file that complaint. From what I have been reading on this forum I know that nothing is going to happen, and I am now out the money I spent for a horrible program that practibally ruined my computer.

Take my advice, and stay far away from Iolo and any of their products. I fully agree with you, they and their products are truly [censor]IC!!!

• Da
      Aug 16, 2011

I bought System Mechanic in March 2011. Since then they have constantly bombarded me with notes of downloading their latest software (for an updated version of System Mechanic that they CHARGE you for) and just recently MY installed version has been saying that my installed version has run out of time (03/01/2012).. What the ****. That's seven months from now. This comment was made on 8/16/2011... If there's a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against System Mechanic how can I join. Just a couple of words for the programmers of System Mechanic... "NEVER AGAIN"!!!

• Lm
      Oct 05, 2011

I TOO HAD PROBLEMS WITH SYSTEM MECHANIC 10.5 AND THEY WON'T REFUND FEE. I FOOLISHLY PAID IN ADVANCE. THEY ALSO IGNORED MY LETTER. GOT RID OF THEM AND GOOD RIDDENCE.

• Lm
      Oct 05, 2011

I TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES TO SETTLE PROBLEMS WITH SYSTEM MECHANIC THRU THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT BUT GOT NO WHERE. I HAD TO CALL THEM AT MY EXPENSE AND STILL GOT NO HELP. I'M THRU WITH SYTEM MECHANIC.

• We
      Feb 23, 2012

You response and service is disgusting to say the least. Maybe this mail goes into an empty box but surely somebody should also look at this empty box.
    Every time System Mechanic updates automatically and you run the repair module the program does not finish and gives me the following message:

“An Error has occurred in this script on this page Line: 1
    Char 1
    Error: Unexpected call to method or property access
    Code 0
    URL: res://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5Ciolo%5CSystem%20Mechanic%5Csmhtml.dll/OVERVIEW.HTM
    Do you want to continue running script on this page
    Yes or No

Makes no difference whether you click yes or no . Nothing happens and I have to abort the installation all together and restart my computer but no updates had been performed!!!??

Can your support team please advise me what and how to correct this
    Even if you have the common decency to say that you do not know or something but to be silent like this is not doing your Company Image any good.
    I shall not communicate this any further but my next communication will be right to the top of your organisation

Werner Pauw

Mar 19, 2012

IOLO Inc is probably the WORST software company I have seen in 30-years. Did you do any research at all? Look at all the complaints. I've been trying to fix an issue for three weeks now. Halfway into the "years" subscription, it started saying System Mechanic has expired on 10/1/2012. Ummmm... That isn't for a long time now... I've been bounced back and forth a million times, and I've pretty much had it with their foreign support staff who simply say "I'm sorry" 100 times, and that they will forward to to senior support who never ever ever contact you back. Iolo and System Mechanic get a huge thumbs down!

• Li
      Jun 18, 2012

Does anyone know how to cancel their Iolo account I cannot get hold of any customer service numbers or addresses

• Mi
      May 06, 2013

I purchased System Machines Professional today. When I tried to install it, it would NOT allow me to complete the installation unless I provided them with my credit card number, expiring date, and the security number on the back. The thing is: I do not want to pay the $39+ update every year. But without typing in those info, the installation just stopped.
    What a low-class, cheap, despicable company IOLO is. I used to like this company and its products. Now, I will never touch its product every again.

Dr. Mike Chin Teng, Canada

Oct 01, 2016

Like so many others, I've terminated my long -time relationship with them because of lies, fraud and theft. We had used SM Professional for many years and were satisfied enough to renew each year despite the abysmal customer service which was designated on the previous email.

After close to 1K over the years we received an offer via email which offered a lifetime license for $100.00 and we decided to purchase. Everything went fine for almost a year and then we started receiving email that said it was time to renew. We sent emails advising we had purchased a lifetime license and a copy of the receipt showing the payment. The only response we received cam thirty days later when we found the program no longer worked. We spent hours on the phone, usually to someone in a call center out of country, it was not only hard to understand them but most of them had limited experience with English and did not understand the point you were trying to make and kept telling us we needed to renew the license. Emails were worse, many were ignored and other not answered for days, but the response was the same as the phone call. We sent a certified letter to the Account Services Department and never received a reply. In several emails I documented that of they were not going to honor our lifetime purchase agreement, then we were still due another years which would still leave a credit of $10.00 and we did not receive an answer.

We filed complaints with the Consumer Affairs Department and the BBB, but nothing was done. When we attempted to get a refund from the credit card merchant but since if was over one year they would not give us a full or partial refund (we only wanted a partial refund) but they refused. We requested a refund of $70.00 from SM via fax, email and USPS, but like most of the other communications we had sent these were also ignored.

I assume that they had an overwhelming response for these lifetime licenses and when they realized the tens of thousands or more they would lose they decided that they would not honor them. I wrote to every department and company that assists people when a seller does not keep their agreement but no one could/would help, so we eventually realized that it was a lost cause. The only other thing we could have done was file an expensive law suit which only could be filed in California and there’s no telling how long it would take to get on the docket. Even if we won and they were ordered to pay all our legal expenses we would still have to pay thousands upfront.

SM went from being a very good company to one of the worst. I cannot understand why PC Magazine still rates their product as the best and say their customer service is good. They’ve rated SM tops for many years and they did so again this year.

• Mu
      Dec 16, 2017

The current System Mechanic download also install scad.exe an known malware.

If you have System Mechanic I strongly suggest you search to see if you too have sad.exe.