Interstate Moving & Storage / Overcharged, damaged and missing furniture, rip off

18375 Ventura Blvd. #592Tarzana, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 316-213-8247

November 24, 2008
TO:
Baker Moving Company
National Consumer Complaint Data Base
Better Business Bureau-California
Re: COMPLAINT REGARDING 7/31/08 SMITH MOVE FROM 811 WAITE DRIVE, COPPER CANYON, TX TO WICHITA, KANSAS
Some of the pictures are attached. There will be more to follow.
INCIDENT
We sold our house and were moving from Copper Canyon, Texas to Wichita, Kansas on 7/31/08. I completed my due diligence and researched several movers on the internet. I was contacted by at least 15 and decided to go with Baker Moving Network-[protected], ) 607 Elmira Rd, Ste 349, Vacaville, CA [protected] (Mr. Anthony Taylor-is the Owner) because they offered complete satisfaction, guaranteed professional move, and discounts to Kansas and Louisiana – (due to recent tornadoes and hurricanes in those areas.) Also the sales representative –Alisa Warner stated they would work with me until the move was finished. She stated they were a full service mover and could also pack my household goods-they would dismantle and reassemble all furniture, use packing materials etc and she guaranteed we would be satisfied. Alisa quoted me $3673 (this was a revised quote after I called her and let her know we wanted some packing done by the company.) I literally walked through my house and gave her an exact inventory of household goods, etc. She told me the amount would most likely be less. I left my husband in Texas and went ahead to Kansas. He stayed there to wait on the movers from Baker Moving Company. I won’t go into huge detail but will let you know that the “professional” move I was “promised “from Baker did not and has not happened. A truck showed up 2 hours late with a paper sign taped to it saying “Interstate Moving.” Apparently Baker had sold our move to someone else (without my knowledge) I was told “Baker would be doing the move-this is how the job was sold to me from the representative. I even gave Baker a $350 deposit.
The mover’s didn’t have any ramps and said they fell off the truck on their way to Texas. They stated they weren’t aware they would be packing any of our stuff. My husband was asked to sign a new contract BEFORE THEY EVEN BEGAN THE MOVE. My husband had to be out of the house by the end of the day, so he didn’t have much choice. He called me before he signed anything and I called Alyssa at Baker Moving Company and she said not to worry about anything-they “guaranteed a smooth move.”
The mover kept asking my husband “if he could afford the move.” They ended up using our own boxes and packing materials and charging us for it!!! Interstate told us we had more furniture than what was originally estimated, etc. Also, said it would cost more because some of our furniture was large.
They dropped stuff-left TV remote controls--, tossed pictures and wall hangings loose in the truck. I have all of this written down in a separate report.
Even before move was done (Mike-movers name) said he had to call his supervisor and check on the costs. He came up with a new visual estimate of over $11, 000 -but told us his supervisor said to be nice and only charge us $10, 000 - flat rate. The furniture was pre-arranged to be stored for around 3 months-through Baker Moving. This was “suddenly " news to Interstate (same as the packing of our materials was new to them).
I called Baker moving company and they more or less referred me back to Interstate Moving-We ended up paying this outfit $6500.00-just to have our furniture thrown on a truck. At this point I was $6850 out of pocket. Included in their charge was a lot of money wherein they stated they used there boxes and packing material. They used my boxes and my sheets.
Later on I found out my furniture was hauled all the way to California and placed in some type of a storage warehouse. As you recall, this was a 338 mile move from Dallas, Texas to Wichita, Kansas.
Well, I became very worried as they had about $45, 000 worth of my goods and no one at Baker Moving Company was calling me back.
On 9/30/08 I called Interstate Moving and asked them to deliver my furniture to a warehouse here in Wichita. At least then I would know I would have my belongings.
They called back and immediately told me to have 3500.00 additional cash ready or else I wouldn’t get my stuff. I advised that his estimate was wrong; he used my boxes, etc. He grudgingly agreed to lower the price by a mere $300.00.
He told me my furniture was being stored in California and he had personally checked it and it was all there. “This was still news to me-because why did they take my furniture all the way back to California -when the move was supposed to be from Dallas to Wichita.
I was given a delivery date of 10/7/08 (I called them on 9/30/08 to set this up) the week of 10/6-no one called me and I finally had to call them back and then they stated it would be no later than 10/16-. Well it is 10/15 and I received a call from another Mike-who said he would be here around 12:00 noon on Thursday and to have 3500.00 ready. He didn’t even have the correct information as to where to deliver the furniture. I told him I was told the amount was 3200.00 additional (which was unreal and I would deal with them later.) He stated he would call me back. Of course, he didn’t and I just had to wait and hope my furniture was on its way.
10/17/08
Furniture arrived in a yellow semi-truck that was painted with graffiti. However, 2/3 of the shipment was missing. Furniture was wrapped in my own bedding, or not wrapped at all. Several pieces are scratched; some have broken legs and missing casters. Some of it wasn’t even mine! Goods were just thrown loose in the truck. I talked to Mike at Interstate and of course he apologized and said I would have the full delivery in 10 days. Later on he called back and asked for 2 weeks because it was going to cost him 1200.00 to redeliver my goods. I felt this was entirely unprofessional since he had already overcharged me, delivered 1/3 of my shipment, damaged a bunch of it and then had the nerve to tell me what it would cost him.

Needless to say, I had to call the company 3 more times before I got a date for the delivery of the rest of my furniture. It finally came on 11/20/08. This was after the original request of 9/30 to deliver my furniture. This was 51 days later. This was another violation of the so called contract. In addition, there are several more pieces damaged. I am working on the estimates now. My furniture was just thrown in the truck. Some of it is wrapped in sheets-(my own sheets to boot).
Damage Resulting
Original Quote - $3673 Final payment to moving company-$10, 050.00 (this is an increase of at least 200% or more-.Isn't there a law against this?) I want some of this money returned as I feel I have been a victim of bait and switch, all types of scams, unethical business practices; I have been given false information, etc. I was also promised guaranteed satisfaction. And I was promised a reduced rate for a Kansas shipment, promised professional movers, professional packing, and professional handling of my belongings.
I do have several pieces of furniture that are damaged and missing! I am taking an inventory now and will present you with the final total when I am done.
I am seriously considering contacting a major TV network and seeing if they would like to do a special on your company and Interstate Moving. I know the Oprah show would probably jump at the chance to get this information for review. I have all of my paperwork, complete with pictures, etc and witnesses who were there during the original move of the furniture. If I do not hear from you, this is my next step.
I have called Baker Moving 3 times and emailed them twice to get in touch with me to give them a chance to settle this claim. I haven’t even gotten the courtesy of a response. I also requested $12 back from them, for when Alyssa had me fax them some paperwork on 8/2/08-which she just ignored.
Settlement
I would like $3500.00 returned from this move. This would leave you with a payment of $6500.00 which is way more than the original quote. I would also like to be compensated for the damage to my furniture. I have a nightstand that costs $600 that has a hole in the back, a leg is broken off of a very old cedar chest, footboards are broken, and china cabinet and hutch are scratched – just to name a few items.

I am reporting this to the proper Consumer Agency too as I hate to see this happen to other people. Please advise what you are going to do about my claim.
Dottie Smith
7608 W. Nantucket Street
Wichita, Kansas 67212
[protected]
:cc Mr. Anthony Baker, Owner-Baker Moving Company, 607 Elmira Rd., STE 349, Vacaville, CA [protected]

Not my belongings-but note the damage!

Pieces of broken furniture just thrown around.

Note top of lamp sticking out of box-this is how they packed our items.

Typical packing job of Interstate Moving Company

Note-used my own bedding to wrap this piece of furniture and charged me for packing materials.

Typical damage

Broken legs.

Pieces of furniture I found on storage floor.

Castor missing

Typical Interstate Moving Professional Packing
Do

Comments

Ke
  25th of Jan, 2009
i had the same awful experience with them, moving from Texas to California. Mike was also my mover, but he said his company was
Mayfield Van Lines. They crushed our box of expensive fine crystal glasses that was very securely packed by us, dropped our mini fridge and broke it completely, broke our Whirpool Duet washer and dryer and it cost us over $500 to have it repaired, opened our boxes (we could tell because they retaped them back the wrong way, with our labeled flaps inside), didn't deliver all of our stuff (i noticed two twin mattresses were missing and it took 7 phone calls and 3 weeks to get them to bring them to us), and the list goes on. Our problem is that their phone number is no longer working and we can't reach them to try to get reimbursed for our washer/dryer repairs. if you have any advise that can help me reach them or what recourse i can take, please contact me at kelly.mazzola@gmail.com or (210) 273-1510. Thanks for posting your experience. My husband and i felt we would have been better off if our house had been burglarized than work with these guys, and we feel stupid for paying them to come take and break our stuff.
Su
  16th of Mar, 2009
I agree 100%. I have never dealt with such incompetent people in all my life. They're service is horrifying. They tell you one thing and do another. BEWARE...your things will get lost or stolen and when trying to contact either Baker Moving or Expediant Movers they do not return phone calls. I sent a certified letter and it got returned due to address not known (Baker Moving Company, 607 Elmira Rd., STE 349, Vacaville, CA 95687-4655). I have filed two claims with the BBB. One for Baker Moving and the other for Expediant Movers. An investigation is in process. DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS...YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!
Ma
  23rd of May, 2009
Mayfield Van Lines picked up my things in California. They were going to charge me for use of the elevator!!!

When that didnt work they took my GPS instead. Use them again? NO WAY.

No need to repeat what has already been stated above.
Mary
Om
  25th of Sep, 2010
OMG...my story is very similiar to yours. First of all, I am so sorry because I felt the same way you did, and if I didnt held on to my patience I would have punched right on face !! Here is my story. I gave a deposit of $350 to so called Bakers moving for a move from Richmond, VA to Plano, TX. I was quoted $1100.00 I accepted that and on the day of pickup they showed up ONE [censor]ING DAY late. They said obviously they are closed on Sunday. WHy the hell you would schedule a pick up on a day you are closed. So, the next day, a peneske truck showed up--the yellow color rental truck which IC ould have rented myself. I have used abf Upack mover before when I moved from Fremont, CA to virginia but was trying to save some money with these jack [censor]. The truck driver wanted me to sign the paper for $150 more coz my couch was big..my couch was a three seater love seat. I got so mad at the unprofessional attitdue that I had to literraly push them out of my apartment, I had pepper spray in my hand. I was so petrified that I had to ask my neighbour guy to watch over me ...these people are nut holes. DONOT book or even dial there number. I still have there number( 866-825-1710), if I ever go to law school, they will be the first ones I am going to drag to court.