Internet Speedway and Auction Advisor / Both have poor business practices

I purchased Internet Speedway in the spring of 2005 and began actively working on my website in July of 2005. By the fall of 2005, I was selling a few items on EBay using the AuctionBlast feature that comes with the Internet Speedway software. At that point, I was happy with the software and unhappy with the support staff. They read scripts from support manuals and didn't appear to have any true technical knowledge. I thought the software was still workable, however, and I kept using it.

In October, I was contacted by a sales person who claimed to be an employee of Internet Speedway. He convinced me to purchase a training program which included classes and tools to make me successful in building an internet business. I purchased the program because it included 10 classes with a coach and a year of technical support. I have my Master's degree in IS and I thought that I would certainly be successful if I used all the tools that were provided to me.

The first "red flag" that came up during this experience was after I had provided my credit card information for the purchase of the program. The assistant who summarized my bill notified me that I had actually purchased both a membership to Auction Advisor and a "platinum upgrade" of Internet Speedway. I didn't realize that I was getting an upgrade of Internet Speedway. I was satisfied with the version that I had.

The second "red flag" was when I called the salesperson after my purchase using an 800 number he provided. The "auto-attendant" provided no information about the company I had called. I panicked, figuring that I had been scammed and looked the saleperson's name up online. I couldn't find it but called the 800 number again and selected option "0". It was then that I figured out that he didn't work for Internet Speedway as he had said. He actually worked for Auction Advisor. He was not forthcoming in telling me this until I asked him directly about it.

The third "red flag" was the coaching classes that I received as part of the program I had purchased. The 10 classes were actually 10-30 minute telephone calls with a coach. Although partially helpful, they were not worth the $1,000 that I was charged for them. The coach was very friendly but he didn't know how to use the Internet Speedway product and primarily reviewed the material I had purchased with the "platinum upgrade" regarding selling on EBay.

Finally, the "platinum upgrade" was not all it was supposed to be. It was supposed to include all of the following:

Super Store Package Comparison Chart

$39 value

Business 101 and Marketing 101 e-Books

$29 value
$29 value

After three months of trying to find out from both Internet Speedway and Auction Advisor why I hadn't received all the Platinum version features in this list, I found out from Internet Speedway that they didn't know that I had upgraded to the Platinum version. Auction Advisor, in the meantime, admitted there was a problem in the OEM deal that they had with Internet Speedway. From what I could tell, the Internet Speedway support staff weren't even aware that Internet Speedway was being sold by Auction Advisor.

Ultimately, neither Internet Speedway nor Auction Advisor were ever able to provide me with the following "Platinum Version" features:

- the Real Time UPS, FedEx Shipping Calculation Module

- the Real Time Advanced Sales Tax Calculation Module

- the QuickBooks Accounting Integration Module

- Search Engine Key Word Optimization

- the ability to submit to 200,000 search engines via Traffic Seeker

- the Overture,Google,Metric Direct Assisted Account Setup

At that point, I had seen enough "red flags" and requested a refund from Auction Advisor. They said they couldn't provide a refund because it was not their policy to refund purchases of their products. Instead, they work with their customers until they are successful. When I fully explained that I didn't get all the items that I purchased, they agreed to refund 40% of the full purchase price. Since this was basically a refund of only the Internet Speedway upgrade, I asked if I could still have my Auction Advisor support. They refused. They said if I got any type of refund, I was refunding all support from both companies. I was disgusted, but since it had been 6 months and they refused to offer any more than that, my husband and I accepted the 40%.

By now, it was April of 2006 and I had given up on Internet Speedway. My account showed that I wouldn't start being charged 19.99 for my warehouse membership fees until August, so I delayed in requesting a cancellation.

In April, Auction Advisor started charging me 13.90 for a product I didn't even realize I had purchased and in May and June, Internet Speedway charged me 19.99 for the warehouse membership. This shouldn't have happened. Auction Advisor never told me about a monthly fee for their services though they claim I received it in writing. My Internet Speedway account said my membership fees wouldn't start until August. From what I can tell, Internet Speedway just decided to start charging me.

Internet Speedway and Auction Advisor both have poor business practices.

To summarize

1. the Internet Speedway software is decent but

- the warehouse products are infomercial grade

- you can't have the software and the website without the warehouse products

- the technical support is atrocious.

- software enhancements appear to be non-existent.

- they charge you monthly when they feel like it.

2. Auction Advisor's tools are interesting and could be helpful if selling alot of products, but they misrepresented who they were when they sold me the training program. I don't appreciate that. In addition, they did not provide me with a link or information regarding access to billing statements in their emails. If I had received this information ahead of time, I could have been aware of the fee I was going to be charged in April before it occurred. They only provided me with a username and password.

Su

Comments

• Ro
      14th of Jan, 2008

I also hooked up with internet speedway, but found it was a traffic problem. Found another site that helped my problems. By putting them together i am now able to make a lot of money. Almost have my internet speedway paid for. Try this site it makes the most sense. http://tinyurl.com//2wqwlz

14th of Nov, 2008

My experience with both companies is somewhat similar but I have much less praise for Internet Speedway than you do. I attended at free "Internet Marketing Seminar" several years ago that was an introduction to marketing on ebay and a sales pitch for Auction Advisor full weekend live training session. I didn't purchase the training at that time but left the seminar kind of feeling like I had missed out on something and wished I had enrolled in the course. A few weeks later I received a call from them offering to sell me some study at home materials as well as phone coaching sessions with an "expert" in internet marketing. For us though, these things cost closer to $5, 000 but we were assured that the vast majority of their clients make the money back within 3 months and they had never had anyone not make the money back within 12 months. They told us of the high quality training they offer and how they put us in touch with wholesalers across North America who offer a plethora of marketable products to sell on ebay and on our own website which they help us build.

They assured us that it's almost impossible to not make your money back and they would continue to work with us until our full "investment" had been made back. All of this turned out to be untrue. The website and vast array of wholesalers turned out to be Internet Speedway. And, while I would say that the Internet Speedway software was not too bad, it was definitely designed to be used to it's full potential within the United States. Since I live in Canada, several of the features were not available to me and it was significantly more difficult and more expensive to use. While the website creation was pretty good, I was able to create a much more attractive website on my own (I have NO experience with web design at all) than the "professionally" designed and stocked website that was made for me.

The Auction Advisor materials were littered with name brand logos like Sony, Apple, Nintendo, etc. but by and large, the products offered in Internet Speedway were crappy generic non-name brand merchandise that was horribly overpriced. Some of it was name brand but the "wholesale" prices that they would charge me were, without exception, more expensive than what I could buy the same item for at Best Buy. The coaching sessions would have been very helpful if we could have found some products to sell. The coach was friendly and helpful but she couldn't offer any legitimate way of sourcing wholesale products. The one thing she did suggest which appeared to work at first, ended up costing us even more money when we discovered the clothing items we had purchased and were selling online were Chinese fakes. We immediately pulled all of our auctions and informed each of our customers that we had been unwittingly selling fake items. We offered them a full refund if they wished to return the item or a partial refund down to our cost if they wanted to keep it. Thankfully, most people kept their items and praised our honesty.

We asked Auction Advisor for a refund and were flatly refused. Their "guarantee" to work with us until our money was made back was only valid as long as we kept paying $30 per month for our Internet Speedway membership with at least 10 items listed in our store and 3 items per week listed on ebay. Having gone more than 4 months and not have made a single cent back in profit, I simply couldn't afford to keep the site up or keep paying to list items that wouldn't sell so I cancelled my Internet Speedway.

I could go on and on about this because I feel like I have barely scratched the surface but you get the idea. My recommendation is to learn from my costly mistake (my wife and I sure have) and have nothing to do with Auction Advisor or Internet Speedway if either of them still exist. It wouldn't surprize me if they have changed their names and moved on to other victims. We have recently moved and, interestingly enough, a few weeks ago received an invitation to another internet marketing seminar which includes a free meal at a local hotel for my wife and I and we also will each receive a free MP3 player of some sort. We're going because, at the very least, if it is the same company we can sponge a free meal and a couple of cheapy MP3 players from them. The dinner is tomorrow (Nov 15/08).

• Sc
      17th of Apr, 2010

Any more news about Internet Speedway?? I was also a victim of this no good company..

Please contact me @ Heidi4gigz@aol.com

Would love to hear the latest...