internet service / Horrible Customer Service

1 WA, United States Review updated:

Charter's call centers are just that. Call centers. You call them. End of story. I find their automated woman more knowledgeable and pleasant than the live mouth breathers they have taking calls. Seriously, if you're lucky enough to get one you can understand, don't get excited. Most likely, they have no clue how to help you, nor do they really care to.

I've had Charter's services for several years. Not by choice, mind you. There is no other high speed internet provider in my area. I have to cut my losses and thank god for the days when I'm not struggling to surf the web or play my online games. I've placed many phone calls into their office, complaining about down services. It is common to suddenly be without service for several hours, or sometimes only certain webpages will load while others won't, etc.

Lately, I've been having really high latency issues while playing World of Warcraft. Despite my problems with Charter, I first turned to Blizzard to see if the problem could be with my game or with their servers. After a day or two of dialogue with tech support there, I had reset modem and router, flushed my dns, removed various files from my game folder, restarted WoW, etc. I kept a log of trace routes when my latency would spike. Usually I hover between 30 and 45ms in game. Now, I can jump to 300, the highest so far being over 6, 000ms. This makes the game unplayable.

So, upon Blizzard's request, I contacted Charter to see if we could rule out any ISP problems. Silly me, thinking I'd find help there. The first person I talked to told me to reset modem and router. When I explained I'd done this, they literally said, "Well, is there anything else I can help you with today, then?" I had a wtf moment and told them, no, never mind, I'd just call.

So I called and got some guy who I could barely understand. Still hopeful, I explained a bit as to what was going on. There was this really, really long pause. For a minute I thought I'd been disconnected, but he finally spoke and rambled on about resetting my modem and router. I told him, no, I wasn't going to do that because I already had--about a dozen times. I was calling because I wanted them to check for packet loss, line stability, and answer a few questions about the trace routes I had. He seemed not to understand, but put me on hold to 'check some things'. After a few minutes he came back and said everything was fine and that my computer must have a virus. I told him that was unlikely, seeing as my computer is a Mac and is protected (with firewall and antivirus). He got angry at me and insisted I had a virus and should be running in Safe Mode. Took me a minute to realize he meant Safe Boot, and I couldn't see what that would do to solve my bad internet problem. I asked him to explain why my trace routes were spiking on hop 13 and 14 consistently and he had no clue what to tell me, he didn't even try to answer, nor did he connect me to someone who could.

He was set that it was my computer, router, or Blizzard that was the problem. And that may very well be, but unless I rule out my ISP being an issue, I'll never know how, or even if, this problem can be fixed. I told him I wanted a tech sent to my home and he actually refused me at first. I couldn't believe it. He was angry like a petulant little boy and trying to get back at me by denying me tech support service. Finally, he relented and set up an appointment (which I'm skeptical they'll show). I asked him if this person will be able to answer my questions and he basically blew me off with a 'Sure, sure. Anything else I can help you with?"

How awful. Having worked for Service Master for nearly 10 years, customer support like this always appalls me. I know first hand what it's like to work for a company that has no interest in training or taking care of employees, but I never, ever took it out on my customers. Usually they were just like me, stuck in some sort of horrific limbo created by corporate greed and insolence. Also, I will give SM some credit though, if anyone had ever spoke to a customer the way this guy did to me, we would've been fired. It just goes to show you how horrible Charter really is--they don't care if they lose customers because of nasty, untrained, unhappy employees.

Comments

• Mu
      6th of May, 2009
    internet service - Billing
    Bell Canada
    Ontario
    Canada

Here are the details:
    I called bell and asked if the internet is available where i was living, somewhere in Scarborough, Bell told told me yes, I ordered and then received the modem and everything in mail, I tried to connect but modem was not coming online, long story short i been calling bell support to resolve the problem and this went on for a month and a half, at the end bell told me that there are problems with lines in that area and they are not able to provide me the service at that location, keep in mind this thing service never worked for one second. Anyway I told them to close my account and returned the hardware to a bell store, a year later I receive a invoice from bell to pay around 120$. I called billing and told them everything nobody helped me to explain why i am being charged. Bell continued to send me the invoice and I didn't know where to go. All I wanted to at least explain me what are these charges for and if my account was kept open why I didn't receive a monthy bill ?. Well after year I received a letter from a credit collection company for a claim of 180$ from Bell. I told them everything, not sure what is going to happen next. If somebody has an idea please give me suggestions

• Jg
      6th of May, 2009

If you have copies of all the paper work, including the return receipt for the modem and hardware, I'd suggest you copy all of that and send a registered letter (through the postal service, don't use email), in writing, to both Bell Canada and the collection agency. I don't know for sure if that will help, but if you haven't done it already, you need to take that step.

If that doesn't work, try Settlement.com Ontario (http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000262) and also the Consumer Ombudsman for Ontario (http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/en/media/press-releases/2008.aspx)

Bell's poor customer service and incredible stupidity is one of the reason's we have never used their service for internet. We also dropped their phone service and mobile (cell) service some years ago.

I hope you can get this resolved.

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2011
    internet service - Refused to provide service and then wont refund deposit
    Century Link
    lehigh acres, fl

inquired about service from century link paid a 25 dollar deposit also had issues with instalation took forever and then they didnt instal excuse after excuse - i live with three roomates they require a letter from the landlord or some bs but didnt tell me that before i paid them the deposit now they are purposefully drawing out or prolonging giving my money back to me - its gonna take 90 days to get my 25 dollars back and they took it instantly off my card and i didnt receive a thing- WTF - i called comcast and other providers they require no such red tape cant i just fhen get installed already i already payed the ### company geez- so i got pissed when they told me they wouldnt install and now wont give my money back- i already made a bbb complaint and plan to hit every forum and site and complain to the attorney general i have already contacted corporate they wont take my calls i recorded it for the media. I am glad I never got service with this crappy company all this stuff they are doing to me and im not even a customer yet imagine if i was. they probably would have over charged me they are already playing with my money and doing fraudelant billing FYI people if you do a charge back on your cc it hurts the company- If they get an estreme amount of Charge backs they can lose thier ability to process cc payments. Hit em where it hurts charge back on your payments i have ot take a day off from work to go down to my bank to do a charge back just to get my 25 back is ridiculous. I dont need the 25 and i will be charged 30 to do the charge back im doing it because i am so angry with this company. i will never have service with this company not even if it meant i would have no internet. i hate centurylink they suck! ripoffs

• Me
      4th of Jun, 2012
    internet service - Rip Off
    NetZero

I ordered 4G Broadband internt service with NetZero, and was advised I would have internet service within 3 business days. I authorized Net Zero to withdraw $75.74 from my debit account, and after 7 days I do not have the internet device or internet service. Instead NetZero attempted to withdraw an additional $49.00 from my debit account, and I still don't have service.I've spoken to several people, and have got nothing but the trun around. I've asked that the service be canceled, and NetZero refused to cancel my service, and return the money to my account. DO NOT-I MEAN DO NOT AUTHORIZE Net Zero to withdraw money from any account you have until you receieve the service. One they get their hand on you money, they refuse to turn it lose rather you have service or not.

• Ne
      19th of Oct, 2012

NETZERO A SCAM A FRAUD!!!

I HAD SERVICE WITH THEM FOR 8 YEARS AND ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAVE PEOPLE HARRASING AND STALKING ME PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW PROBABLY HACKERS. I TRIED TO BLOCK THEM BUT SOME HOW THEY COME BACK. I ALSO WAS HARRASED ON THE E-MAIL AND BLOCKED THESE PEOPLE BUT THEY SOMEHOW GOT A WAY TO GET IN MY E-MAIL AGAIN. I ASKED NETZERO.COM TO CANCEL THE ACCOUNT AND THEY REFUSE TO CANCEL IT. I WROTE THEM 3 LEGAL NOTICE AND THEY STILL DO NOT CANCEL MY ACCOUNT. THE COMPANY CONTROLS YOUR INFORMATION ONCE THEY GET A HOLD OF IT. THAN THEY REFUSE YOUR EVERY REQUEST TO HAVE IT CANCELED NO MATTER WHAT YOUR REASON. YET ON THEIR POLICY STATES THAT YOU CANCEL HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT CANCELED ANYTIME. THESE PEOPLE DO NOT FOLLOW THEIR OWN POLICY. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD, A SCAM, AND AN ABUSIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT REFUSES YOUR REQUEST. VERY FORCEFULL AND AGGRESSIVE. VERY POOR BUSINESS ETHICS. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. DO NOT TAKE NETZERO BEWARE A PUBLIC WARNIG THIS COMPANY IS ON THE BLACK LIST!!!