Intercontinental Hotel Groups / Unfair buiness practices

Intercontinental Hotel Groups
I recently booked two rooms with the Los Angeles Airport Holiday Inn which the full amount was immediately billed to my charge card. Circumstances caused me to cancel the reservations, giving the company 30 days notice. I was advised that I would not be receiving a refund to my credit card and that was their policy. Holly Rynolds who is the Intercontenental Hotels Group Guest Relations person responding via Email was very congenial but could not accomodate me.

My caution to everyone and anyone booking with Intercontinental Hotel Groups, specifically Holiday Inn; please beware of pre-booking with your credit card and expecting a refund if you must cancel. My claim is that the Chain's policy is an "Unfair Business Practice." I urge all to consider reserving another hotel-motel chain.

I will be happy to forward my to-from communications and let you draw your own conclusions!

D  12th of Jul, 2009 by

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has a special rate that is called "Advance Purchase" that requires prepayment and forbids any cancellation. That rate is usually $20-$50 lower than the standard rate ("Best Flexible Rate"), which allows cancellation up to 6PM on the date of arrival. The cancellation policy is clearly visible on the website (if you book online) and always explained over the phone (if you call to book). If you choose to pay at a significantly lower rate, you have to be willing to take the risk of not canceling. Asking to pay less AND flexibility to cancel, then complain about it online when your request is not met is what I truly call UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES. Be responsible! Read the cancellation policy before you pay!!